Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM

15 posts, read 58,775 times

Advertisements

Husband and I have been searching for a new town and have been looking in the mountains in Utah and Colorado. We're now considering somewhere closer to our families here in Houston so want to see what Missouri can offer close to our original desires.

Love the weather in MO but we want somewhere that is
- very cold (not just touching the twenties once)
-snowy (would like some that sticks around, if you know about how long say)
-hills!

Thank you for taking the time to respond and hope to be there soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,195,326 times
There was a place just North of Springfield on 13 HWY call Snow Bluff.Couple cleard the Hill off and was making snow for people to Ski on,had Lifts and everything.Worked good fror a few years then the weather started staying so warm they couldn't keep up making snow.

In the last 12 years there just hasn't been enough snow or cold to worry over.

The heaviest snow I seen last Spring was Valentine Weekend by Edgar Springs,I was hunting there got caught in 13 inches,lasted couple days and that was it.

hillman

Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,582 times
Northern Missouri is the coldest part of the state, but also nearly the flattest (with the exception of the bootheel). Southern Missouri is very hilly, but less snowy and warmer than the northern part of the state. It gets cold...for sure...but not that cold. Snow seldom remains on the ground for more than a week, although once a decade or so it will be on the ground for up to three weeks. A few years ago it was 70 degrees on New Year's Eve, while some years it will be 15 degrees.

Missouri is nothing at all like anywhere in Utah or Colorado when it comes to the harshness of the winters or landscapes. We certainly do not get 5 feet of powdery, dry snow, nor do we have real mountains in the state. We might get a foot of snow once every decade or two, and the lowest point in either Utah or Colorado is still higher than the highest mountain in Missouri.

My advice: Most of southern Missouri is at least a 10 hour drive to Houston...not "close" by any means. You should be able to find a direct flight from Salt Lake City or Denver to Houston very easily...move to Utah or Colorado if you want somewhere that is really cold and snowy. A direct flight from any of those cities will get you to Houston considerably faster than driving from Missouri, and not much slower than flying out of Springfield (you'd have to connect in Dallas) or St. Louis (direct flights). I just really don't see Missouri living up to your desires.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,811 times
I would say, for the most ideal combination of cold, snow and hilly terrain in Missouri, take a look at St. Joseph. Most of St. Joe is not flat at all, and the immediate surrounding area is rolling prairie and low hills.

Though by no means fancy, St. Joseph's King Hill Overlook in the far southern part of town gives you a pretty nice view of the surrounding area from about 200 feet up (elevation roughly 1,030 feet). In the northwest area, the loop around Krug Park has some steep sections. You won't mistake it for Utah or most of Colorado, but if you want to give Missouri a serious look, I'd put St. Joseph on your short list.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I would say, for the most ideal combination of cold, snow and hilly terrain in Missouri, take a look at St. Joseph. Most of St. Joe is not flat at all, and the immediate surrounding area is rolling prairie and low hills.

Though by no means fancy, St. Joseph's King Hill Overlook in the far southern part of town gives you a pretty nice view of the surrounding area from about 200 feet up (elevation roughly 1,030 feet). In the northwest area, the loop around Krug Park has some steep sections. You won't mistake it for Utah or most of Colorado, but if you want to give Missouri a serious look, I'd put St. Joseph on your short list.
Good suggestion; I'm a St. Joe native and if you want cold, St. Joe is the place. Snow in recent years hasn't always matched the snows of my youth but the wind in winter coming off the Missouri River will cut to the bone like a frigid knife.

The King Hill overlook view is amazing; another excellent view is that from Wyeth Hill, a city park atop a bluff looking out over the river and into Kansas. It's in the North End, not far off the 229 loop.

North of Kansas City up toward St. Joe way it is not flat; in fact the rolling hills and terrain originally attracted many Irish immigrants back in the 1800's who found the terrain similar to that of Ireland.

Lots of hills in St. Joe, plenty of cold, usually enough snow - I'd say it was indeed the place.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
I'd also say northwest Mo, but I'm not sure its any closer to Houston than Colorado. Many people desire Missouri over places such as New Hampshire.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
I think if I were you, I'd look to another state. I love Missouri and I lived in NW Missouri for a couple years but I actually was so thrilled to be there and out of the harsher winters I have here in California. Even in NW Missouri you would have rolling hills and really mild winters compared to the states you mention. All I ever saw was a couple inches of powder for a couple days.

I did live in Colorado for a fear years when I was younger and I think it would suit you better. The mountains are gorgeous and the winters can be a thing to behold. I've been through Utah quite a few times and while some of it is nice, the state on a whole just doesn't do it for me. I had enough of the wind and salt flats, this side of SL city.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I'd also say northwest Mo, but I'm not sure its any closer to Houston than Colorado. Many people desire Missouri over places such as New Hampshire.
A recent report that just came out ranked NH as the #1 safest state in the country, and #1 in quality of life indicators.
Actually, NH has a higher concentration of people with Irish ancestry than MO. The pastoral landscape of NH and VT looks far more like Ireland than MO. However, the Missouri River valley is quite pleasant and was a key draw to early settlement patterns in the area due to excellent agricultural lands as well as industrial development.
For the OP: Northern Missouri is quite a bit colder than the southern part of the state during the winter. However, if you are looking for heavier amounts of snow I would look at the Upper Midwest. Some of the smaller towns I like are: Iowa City, Dubuque, La Crosse, Rochester, Madison, Appleton, etc. Nearly all of MO will average <30 inches of snow per winter. The river valleys tend to be cooler at night compared to surrounding areas.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAHOWELL View Post
Husband and I have been searching for a new town and have been looking in the mountains in Utah and Colorado. We're now considering somewhere closer to our families here in Houston so want to see what Missouri can offer close to our original desires.

Love the weather in MO but we want somewhere that is
- very cold (not just touching the twenties once)
-snowy (would like some that sticks around, if you know about how long say)
-hills!

Thank you for taking the time to respond and hope to be there soon!
Where exactly in Missouri do you live? Because if you're talking about just touching the twenties, half of the state gets into the teens and even single digits, once or twice approaching or getting below zero. The snow here can sometimes last up to a week, assuming the temperature doesn't do its usual swing. If you want bone-chilling cold and snow that sticks, I would recommend St. Joseph, Missouri or just a bit farther north along I-29 approaching the Iowa/Nebraska borders.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,463 times
http://pics2.city-data.com/w5/snw12523.png (broken link)

This is the "average" snowfall chart for St. Joseph; they definitely get more snow most winters than southern Missouri where I now live.

Unfortunately we get the ice storms more often here.

If you prefer snow to ice, go with St. Joseph as your choice. They also clean the major thoroughfares far better than most cities do in the southern half of MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri