Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Kshe, does it say anywhere where the area of that map was determined? Like what areas they chose to include and why?
If you are speaking of the second map I posted, thats a project that Mizzou did of regional cuisines, which, imho, is a true indicator of the culture of an area.
I remember reading about it in the Ste Gen paper when they did the project, some of the map I agree with 100%, some, not so much.
I think a better map would be achieved by overlaying both maps, and doing some shading in various areas, which you have already mentioned, as the whole of Ste Gen county should be included, as well as Perry and Jefferson, for example.
Still, its the best map I have found for illustrating what is, and isnt Southern in our neck of the woods.

Here is a partial explanation from the site;
http://extension.missouri.edu/cuisines/about.shtml

Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If you are speaking of the second map I posted, thats a project that Mizzou did of regional cuisines, which, imho, is a true indicator of the culture of an area.
I remember reading about it in the Ste Gen paper when they did the project, some of the map I agree with 100%, some, not so much.
I think a better map would be achieved by overlaying both maps, and doing some shading in various areas, which you have already mentioned, as the whole of Ste Gen county should be included, as well as Perry and Jefferson, for example.
Still, its the best map I have found for illustrating what is, and isnt Southern in our neck of the woods.

About the Missouri Regional Cuisines Project
Nothern Jefferson County like arnold and that are mostly midwestern, but when you get deep into Jefferson County like Hillsboro, Desoto and south it does have a little more southern flavor and not 100 percent Midwest.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
If you are speaking of the second map I posted, thats a project that Mizzou did of regional cuisine, which, imho, is a true indicator of culture.

About the Missouri Regional Cuisines Project
I see. That map is one of the best I've seen, not 100% but it's gettin much closer. I live about 2 miles inside the green area and I hadn't even heard of German potato salad until about 2 weeks ago, so needless to say not 100%. But I'd say it's a pretty good job for some people out of Columbia! Not sure why so much of Cape County was included but so little of Perry.....

Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Nothern Jefferson County like arnold and that are mostly midwestern, but when you get deep into Jefferson County like Hillsboro, Desoto and south it does have a little more southern flavor and not 100 percent Midwest.
What makes you think that those areas aren't 100% Midwest? I've never noticed a difference going through Jefferson County besides the urban/rural divide.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I see. That map is one of the best I've seen, not 100% but it's gettin much closer. I live about 2 miles inside the green area and I hadn't even heard of German potato salad until about 2 weeks ago, so needless to say not 100%. But I'd say it's a pretty good job for some people out of Columbia! Not sure why so much of Cape County was included but so little of Perry.....
I cant figure that one out about Perry County either, I mean, thats as Midwestern German as it gets, just like Ste Gen county....beats me!
When they were doing the project, it was hands-on research, they talked to all the historians, genealogists and good cooks in Ste Gen, there was an huge uproar, as they wanted old, closely guarded family recipes, lol.
Some of the older women that still speak with German accents were ready to take wooden spoons to the researchers!

Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM

543 posts, read 855,046 times
Quote:
What makes you think that those areas aren't 100% Midwest? I've never noticed a difference going through Jefferson County besides the urban/rural divide.
You do hear slightly different speech patterns from those parts compared to the St. Louis area. You can notice a slight accent.

There was a map I posted a couple months ago someone else on this forum made showing Missouri and what parts of MO are dixie, what parts are transition zone/upland south and what parts midwest.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I cant figure that one out about Perry County either, I mean, thats as Midwestern German as it gets, just like Ste Gen county....beats me!
When they were doing the project, it was hands-on research, they talked to all the historians, genealogists and good cooks in Ste Gen, there was an huge uproar, as they wanted old, closely guarded family recipes, lol.
Some of the older women that still speak with German accents were ready to take wooden spoons to the researchers!
lmao I would have paid to see that! I wonder what hands on research they did down in my neck of the woods....I never heard about anything like this being done

Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
You do hear slightly different speech patterns from those parts compared to the St. Louis area. You can notice a slight accent.

There was a map I posted a couple months ago someone else on this forum made showing Missouri and what parts of MO are dixie, what parts are transition zone/upland south and what parts midwest.
That's the Missouri Twang, not a southern accent.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
lmao I would have paid to see that! I wonder what hands on research they did down in my neck of the woods....I never heard about anything like this being done
Hee-hee!
I know those old women, they are the moms and grandmothers of friends, I sure wouldnt dare to ask them for the recipes!
I dont know what was done for research in your area, I know that there was supposed to be a ccokbook including the various regions, along with other publications, but I have never seen anything else about it it.
There must have been a lack of funding, as this project was started when the economy was still good, perhaps something will still come of it, I hope!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's the Missouri Twang, not a southern accent.
Exactly, the twang thing is a regional dialect all its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri