Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 PM

34 posts, read 76,067 times

Advertisements

ok guys and gals, I have tried the chicken fried steak (yum!!) , but whats with that weird gravy???!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKLEYSGIRL View Post
ok guys and gals, I have tried the chicken fried steak (yum!!) , but whats with that weird gravy???!!
Hahahaha! That "weird" gravy is made with hot grease, milk and flour with just a smattering of pepper. You can have it made with sausage over biscuits (ie "biscuits n' gravy) for a delicious breakfast. It takes a bit of practice to get right, so the grease doesn't separate and the flour isn't lumpy. I learned from an awesome country cook-my mother-in-law!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
What you describe is country gravy ... and now I want some ...

Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What you describe is country gravy ... and now I want some ...
Pleased to have flung a craving on you....now go find the nearest local restaurant and have a heapin' helping!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Buckleysgirl, have you tried the cashew chicken yet? Different from chicken with cashews, it is basically fried chicken chunks over rice and smothered in an oyster-sauce gravy. Then they sprinkle it with a few cashews for taste and effect. It was supposedly created in Springfield, MO.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:30 PM

Just saw where Fort Leonard Wood got hit by a tornado last night! Hope you and yours are ok and didn't have any property damaged. Odd to have tornadoes this time of year.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM

34 posts, read 76,067 times
Have survived my first tornado! What else is this place gunna throw at me next!!
Am heading out to explore Dixon tomorrow.....maybe I can get some cashew chicken there?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 PM

140 posts, read 273,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKLEYSGIRL View Post
Have survived my first tornado! What else is this place gunna throw at me next!!
Was thinking about you, BuckleysGirl, and how you fared with today's tornado. Glad to see that you survived it okay!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Glad you are still with us! I've lived in Missouri for 42 years and never actually been IN a tornado, you've been here a month and whammo! What are the odds? My guess is you will experience a limb-busting ice storm next. But don't worry- the beautiful spring days will follow before too long. Missouri is not for wimps! Ha!
If Dixon has a chinese restaurant, then YES you will get cashew chicken. Most places do a buffet, which is ok, but sit-down fresh food is always better. Do they have chinese buffet in Australia? It is a good way to try lots of different flavors pretty cheaply...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
The day I read the post about the weird gravy, I laughed and then went and made some. I wouldn't advise anyone to go to a restaurant for it though--too many of them serve it out of a can. To make it you crumble up a half lb. of sausage from one of those rolls--I use mild. I brown it really good and crumble it. Then I sprinkle on about 3 T. flour and add more oil if needed so the flour blends into it. Work that around the pan for about 3 minutes or so and then add 2 cups of hot milk, salt, pepper, and a bit of red pepper. Cook until it thickens and serve on top of hot biscuits. If you don't make them from scratch, the frozen ones work well--the buttermilk kind. Canned work ok too, but they're not very traditional. Eat them up--biscuits, even the homemade kind, don't keep very well and the gravy turns into glue in the pan. (and your gut!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri