Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:23 PM

390 posts, read 506,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickdale1 View Post
These are valid issues. The biggest issue I ever had with the UFC was wenn they stopped the tournament style and implemented weight classes and 3 rounds. I was so devastated that I stopped watching for years. I was a big fan of the movie Bloodsport back in the days. I got all excited to see how fighters would handle different fighting styles and different sized fighters. I get upset at little things about the UFC, like the price of Pay Per View events, but not as upset as I was back when Dana took over the organization.

I liked the Bloodsport style too. But they were getting banned everywhere and was going bankrupt. The Fertita Brothers bought it and it was still sinking for many, many years. They actually put up like $50,000,000 of their own money into the UFC, due mostly to their love for BJJ. Just saw a documentary about this (should be on YouTube). Gave me great respect for them and Dana White. They kept MMA alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I basically agree. WMMA isn't so great, but I still like Rousey though.
Yeah, her Judo is excellent. She didn't just stuff Tate's takedown attempts, she reversed them in those sacrificial throws and took dominant position which was pretty badass. And she has that Olympian drive to improve and dominate at everything, which showed in her standup that was bloodying Tate up. I just f'ing detest her and her team though.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickdale1 View Post
These are valid issues. The biggest issue I ever had with the UFC was wenn they stopped the tournament style and implemented weight classes and 3 rounds. I was so devastated that I stopped watching for years. I was a big fan of the movie Bloodsport back in the days. I got all excited to see how fighters would handle different fighting styles and different sized fighters. I get upset at little things about the UFC, like the price of Pay Per View events, but not as upset as I was back when Dana took over the organization.
Meh, the old bloodsport UFC wouldn't work anymore. It worked when the sport of MMA was in its infancy and you had fighters relying on one dominant style of fighting, but now that everyone who is accomplished in the sport has at least adequate skills in all components of fighting, size does matter. The tournament thing could work, but the problem with that is that if a fighter advances but gets banged up, we're left with alternates...which sucks. PRIDE actually had a great thing with its Grand Prix. They had tournaments throughout the year, and it would start with something like a field of sixteen that would then fight for a championship late in the year. I actually saw a PRIDE event live once...was f*cking incredible. Saw Shogun mess up Rampage's rib cage; Ricardo Arona; Nogueira. They oughtta do more of that.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 PM

162 posts, read 177,364 times
The grappling on the mat for four minutes out of every round is what is killing it for me. Fans want to see punches and kicks same way they want to see home runs and touchdowns.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM

195 posts, read 281,595 times
you are never going to see real deal fighting. Not unless it pays millions per fighter, and you have lots of fatalities, Cause one kick to the ribcage can kill you, and a broken collarbone can take you out of the sport for at least 6 months.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM

195 posts, read 281,595 times
If those guys really let it all hang out, each fight would end in 2-3 seconds, with somebody in the hospital for weeks, if not months. If that aint the case, then they're not much as a fighter.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
The grappling on the mat for four minutes out of every round is what is killing it for me. Fans want to see punches and kicks same way they want to see home runs and touchdowns.

You should check out Glory Kickboxing. The last card was great, and I believe that the next one is April 12th. I still prefer mma, because I enjoy seeing all facets of fighting (including grappling) on display.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
If those guys really let it all hang out, each fight would end in 2-3 seconds, with somebody in the hospital for weeks, if not months. If that aint the case, then they're not much as a fighter.

Huh??? How many fights have you won in the ring and/or cage?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
You obviously never fought before in your life vs. someone who's an experienced MMA fighter. And I'm not even talking about the highest level such as a UFC fighter, but just some amateur MMA fighter with under 5 fights that knows himself that he'll never make it anywhere close to the UFC....even an MMA fighter with zero wins and 5 losses should mop the floor with you pretty easily.

The UFC is the highest level of MMA fighting. It's the dream of every MMA fighter. It also pays the highest for any martial arts fighting. Top fighters can make $1-2 million per fight, which is an enormous amount, considering the average FULL TIME martial artist who fights probably made $10,000-25,000 a year before the UFC came on the scene. That's why we see your heroes/instructors peddling Ninja Death-Strike DVD's and BS seminars where less than 10 people show up.

Yet you think that these fighters in the UFC aren't letting "it all hang out".......?????????????? You're a funny kid.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Huh??? How many fights have you won in the ring and/or cage?
He's the average joker from some Traditional MA chopsocky school or one of them Krav Maga joints. They have no idea what it's like when someone's trying to knock them the F out, and I'm just talking about hard sparring during training, so not even a low level, amateur fight in the ring/cage yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)