Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

I don't know if MMA was exposed ... more like the UFC's hype/marketing machinery was exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
To be honest I kind of enjoyed seeing her get destroyed like that. Rousey is a good fighter, but I've always found her mouth and attitude in general to be a little off putting.
I have always liked Rousey. But recently, I was getting a little put off by her arrogance. She is great, and until there is a rematch (if so), just because she lost doesn't make her any less of a fighter. What she does from here will determine her legacy.

She wants to be a crossover star (movies etc) and not just a great MMA fighter. I think that was a partial reason she lost due to a lack of focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeofreyAndrew View Post
mma is exposed again, it didnt take great skills to be successful in mma, Holly Holm did it in 10 wins, she should how superior skillfully she is, Ronda has failed her family, friends, and fans, she should retire and make movies. She will be remember a a fad who made UFC costumes for Halloween popular for girls, that's it. Holly Holm is a true athlete, a boxer champion and didnt take much for her to be a UFC champion. It didnt take much for Brock Lesnar to be UFC champion. MMA is a gimmick, a joke, tonight was another embarrassment for mma, all of the boxing fans are laughing right now, you don't even have to be a boxing fan or even a fan of sports to understand how embarrassing it is for other athletes of different sports to win fights in mma. Ronda doesn't deserve a rematch based on her performance. it wasn't a split decision, or a controversial decision. It was a one sided fight that ended with a KO.
I don't quite agree with your MMA being exposed reference. I've watched wrestling for the better part of my 55 years. What I saw last night was a true fight, and where one opponent got outclassed. MMA brings to the octagon various athletes with various skill sets. So a striker can beat a grappler - I think most people with any knowledge understand that.

Rousey absolutely deserves a rematch. She's already earned that right. What will be telling if she can go back to training, and hone her defensive skills against a striker. Only a rematch will truly tell what sort of champion Rousey is.

Is MMA an embarrassment? Dana White let Rousey and McGregor be who they are. Does it look Hollywood? I think every sport has a Hollywood tinge to it, from Basketball to Football, etc. Each has characters. Maybe less so in tennis (oh wait, there was McEnroe and Connors, both of whom lost over the years but were characters) or golf. But still, at the end of the day maybe White let MMA smell like WWE to some fans. What I saw in the octagon last night was a fight, just like the Jedrzejczyk/Letourneau fighter before it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I agree with the aforementioned statement that the MMA was exposed too last night. Though I am still surprised that Rhonda lost last night, because I thought she had the ability to overcome good boxing skills. After seeing the fight highlights, I think Rhonda's holes are glaringly obviously...and Rhonda knew that too, which is why she started focusing on improving her Boxing skills.

In regards to her arrogance and bravado, I personally like it. Don't forget, these characteristics are what makes such athletes so successful and apt to take risks that others are scared to do. I applaud Rhonda for that, but now we have to see how she responds to such a dramatic beating. As a lifelong Boxing fan, I know of several Boxers who failed miserably after losing because they were figured out...will Rhonda follow suit. I say yes.
I think my comments above sort of mirror your thoughts on Ronda. I applaud her confidence, yet sometimes you pay the piper when you can't finish the deal. Right now Ronda is eating her own words, and, in a big way. The fight was not close - Holm totally destroyed her. I think Ronda's game plan sucked. I only saw a couple of times where she even attempted to try to take Holm to the mat. I think Ronda's arrogance of believing she could stand and fight Holm at her game was a mistake, and it showed.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Watching this fight reminded my of the much hyped Tyson v. Holyfield matchup that resulted in the infamous ear incident.

Much like Tyson was, Rousey was dismantled by fighter who relied on precision and technique rather than sheer brawling power. That being said, if Rousey had managed to corner Holm and had been able to effectively use of her Judo skills, that fight may have turned out much differently. Unfortunately, it seemed like Holm managed to make good on the opportunities Rousey gave her when trying to get in close, and sealed the deal with a devastating boot to the chops.

...and please, can we now stop this foolish talk about Rousey beating Merriweather? The question isn't whether Rousey could win a fight v. Merriweather, but if she would actually be able to survive one.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:57 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Mike Tyson had incredible technique. You do realize that your physical structure in part determines your fighting style. Likewise, your opponents physical structure determines they're fighting style as well, and what style should be utilized against them.

Tyson was amazing at making himself a small target and then annihilating his larger opposition. Holyfield was a small guy coming up that happened to have a style that would always give Tyson hell, prime or not. Styles make fights.

Just because Mayweather happens to be undefeated doesn't mean that no style gives him difficulty. Mayweather neglected to fight Margarito for example because Margarito had a terrible style for Mayweather to fight against. Maidana beat the hell outta Mayweather in the first fight, yet was not given the fight, and Maidana cannot deliver the same type of pressure that Margarito could in his prime.

There isn't one style that's unbeatable. Anybody will be beat if they fight the right guy.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:50 PM

15 posts, read 13,964 times
What is this nonsense about MMA being exposed? That was a perfect example of what MMA is: a stylistic matchup between two fighters using mixed techniques, along with the ones they mastered at the highest level. A world championship boxer beating an olympic judoka is hardly exposing anything about the sport if you've ever watched it before. They've been training in combat sports their entire lives; to pretend they just somehow picked up the sport as a hobby is absurd.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
A rematch will be interesting to see if Rousey can adapt to Holms style.
Or she may just take this opportunity to get into the professional wrestling business.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:05 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasonage View Post
What is this nonsense about MMA being exposed? That was a perfect example of what MMA is: a stylistic matchup between two fighters using mixed techniques, along with the ones they mastered at the highest level. A world championship boxer beating an olympic judoka is hardly exposing anything about the sport if you've ever watched it before. They've been training in combat sports their entire lives; to pretend they just somehow picked up the sport as a hobby is absurd.
Exactly. I don't understand why people don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A rematch will be interesting to see if Rousey can adapt to Holms style.
Or she may just take this opportunity to get into the professional wrestling business.
And this will define Rousey's UFC/MMA legacy, with this choice. Problem is she's already getting herself entrenched in Hollywood. I still believe that beyond the fact Rousey wasn't prepared enough for Holm style and Holm wasn't given enough credit for what she was bringing to the ring, that Rousey has been doing too much to keep her focus. In this sport you must be at that top of your game and have a defense that can counter any offense thrown at you.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:15 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Holm's agility and focus were great and it showed. Rhonda was just not able to impose her technique and that threw her off her game.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:23 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
My hat is off to Holly, she looked great.

I think Rhonda balloons-up in weight between fights.....and cutting too much weight takes a LOT out of her.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Holly was great and someone that had real boxing skills was always going to give Ronda a fight. I don't think Ronda has a chance in a rematch unless she improves her boxing/kickboxing skills significantly.

She had Holms clinched a few times and Holms threw her on the floor like a rag doll, much like a heavier fighter would have, unless Rousey went into that fight drained and or weak, she needs to stay away from Holms at all costs. This wasn't a lucky shot or some kind of fluke, Holms beat her handily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)