U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,702 posts, read 991,936 times
Reputation: 1913

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i jumped in because your "points" were pointless, and i enjoy making you look like the 14 year old you are.

boxing is NOT a fight. it is a sport. MMA is NOT a fight, it is a sport. all that said, MMA is far loser to a real fight then boxing ever could hope to be.
i mean 2 school yard kids step onto the baseball field, " ok wait, no wrestling, no kicking, now throwing, lets just stand here and dance around and punch each other a few times and go home"
I'm no fighter, but I'd imagine that boxing would be just fine in the schoolyard or the street against someone untrained (and unarmed in case that wasn't self explanatory).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2018, 01:40 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I'm no fighter, but I'd imagine that boxing would be just fine in the schoolyard or the street against someone untrained (and unarmed in case that wasn't self explanatory).
in many cases yes.
than again, the first boxer running into a kid on the wrestling team is going to get wrecked.

even "trained" people lose fights, no doubt.

but all that is besides the point in this conversation as the sport of boxing is a very specialized sport. it is not like a schoolyard fight in that a school yard fight, like almost every other fight ends up on the ground, or kicks are thrown, or both.
boxing is a sport, it absolutely can help you in self defense, but as a sport, it is not very close to a real fight in the real world.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 PM
 
3,276 posts, read 1,498,449 times
Reputation: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
in many cases yes.
than again, the first boxer running into a kid on the wrestling team is going to get wrecked.

even "trained" people lose fights, no doubt.

but all that is besides the point in this conversation as the sport of boxing is a very specialized sport. it is not like a schoolyard fight in that a school yard fight, like almost every other fight ends up on the ground, or kicks are thrown, or both.
boxing is a sport, it absolutely can help you in self defense, but as a sport, it is not very close to a real fight in the real world.
Yeah. I never seen a guy get knocked out by a punch before.

Never happened ever.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
2,702 posts, read 991,936 times
Reputation: 1913
This guy did pretty well. There's lots of viral videos of boxers in street altercations. The issue I suppose is if you have a stronger, bigger guy who grabs you or worse a trained guy who grabs you. Something I've been pondering lately as I'm deciding between a boxing/muay thai gym and a mma gym at the moment, but the mma gym focuses on grappling first and doesn't even let you participate in striking until you show command of certain techniques. (The gym is Radical MMA, for reference.).


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_zWBQXZj4
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
This guy did pretty well. There's lots of viral videos of boxers in street altercations. The issue I suppose is if you have a stronger, bigger guy who grabs you or worse a trained guy who grabs you. Something I've been pondering lately as I'm deciding between a boxing/muay thai gym and a mma gym at the moment, but the mma gym focuses on grappling first and doesn't even let you participate in striking until you show command of certain techniques. (The gym is Radical MMA, for reference.).


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8_zWBQXZj4
Man you will be so much better off going Renzo Gracie. Where guys like Frankie Edgar and GSP train.
Itís literally the next block over from the place you mentioned.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 07:18 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,204,830 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Yeah. I never seen a guy get knocked out by a punch before.

Never happened ever.
Aweee youíre still here?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top