Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM

64 posts, read 49,751 times

Advertisements

This is after watching Conor McGregor lose

1. The UFC needs to pay their fighters better. If it wasn't for this then Conor wouldn't have looked somewhere else to get paid. As we are speaking Jose Aldo is in Robert Garcia's boxing gym talking about wanting to fight professionally as a boxer after his UFC contract is over. Nate Diaz has also talked about wanting to go to boxing.

2. The UFC needs to add more rounds in ALL of their fights. Why are ONLY championship fights 5 rounds? 5 rounds isn't even enough. After Conor's embarrassing performance he said he wasn't used to 12 rounds of boxing= 36 minutes, now the boxing world is laughing at just the fact UFC's best fighter got tired fast and couldn't last 10 rounds. I say making it 8 rounds would be the right thing to do, it will be 40 minutes compared to boxing which has 36 minutes.

3. Dana White should have NEVER allowed Conor to box. I am already seeing many comments by UFC fans saying they are embarrassed by Conor's performance and no longer going to be ordering paperviews and are sticking with boxing instead. Conor needs to retired. He embarrassment the UFC and let down his fans. The UFC is going to do worse with paperview buys now and it's a lost for MMA. Now other fighters want to go to pro boxing like I said so Dana White will lose fighters just by allowing Conor to do it and then him losing will cost the UFC fans. They don't have the same respect they did before he fought Mayweather. Mayweather did what he wanted and finished him when he wanted. Conor should just retire and enjoy his money. He let us (MMA fans) down. All of that trash talk for NOTHING. Mayweather talks but he backs it up. Conor should go to the WWE instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:59 PM

7 posts, read 4,465 times
You're right on the first point, but I disagree with the other two. Rounds take a toll on MMA fighters and having every fight go 5 rounds (remember, also 5 minutes, not 3) will greatly shorten everyone's career. They also do have non-title fights that go 5 rounds already and have for a while.

MMA fans don't care that Conor boxed and he actually performed better than expected to those who understand both sports, though I think Floyd played a hand in that. As for Dana White and the UFC, they made an absolute financial killing from the boxing match and so did McGregor.

Now, all that said, the UFC is in trouble. They're no longer putting on the best fighter v. best fighter bouts and their cards have been very lackluster since they were bought out by WWE/IMG. Hardcore fans are noticing that and tuning out because of it. (See Michael Bisping's upcoming and last few fights.)

Old 10-26-2017, 04:17 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
They definitely need to pay their fighters better thats for sure. Conor would always look somewhere else for more money, hes smart like that. As for the other two boxing, I dont think anyone really cares. Aldo was in his heyday when he was on roids and hes dead in the water now. Diaz would probably do OK but I cant see him being a draw for boxing fans so hes not going to get a 100 million dollar fight or anything close to it.

5 5 minute rounds is more than enough for MMA. Conor wasnt embarrassing in the slightest, it takes a different type of cardio to box than to mma.

Meh, Dana made allot of cash on that fight too. Ive not heard anyone say they wont watch MMA because Conor boxed. How is he embarrassing ? I am not seeing where youre getting this from. I agree, if hes not going to do title fights he needs to retire. Hes made enough money so he can afford to.

UFC is losing my interest because it is more WWE like now. Like Wanderview said its not best vs best its ALL about the big draw fights which is great for the fan that just watches for that but the ones who watch as much as they can get bored with that.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:38 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
UFC is losing my interest because it is more WWE like now. Like Wanderview said its not best vs best its ALL about the big draw fights which is great for the fan that just watches for that but the ones who watch as much as they can get bored with that.
Well, that was bound to happen anyway, the more popular and more mainstream UFC got. I'm surprised it took this long.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
^youre probably right.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They definitely need to pay their fighters better thats for sure. Conor would always look somewhere else for more money, hes smart like that. As for the other two boxing, I dont think anyone really cares. Aldo was in his heyday when he was on roids and hes dead in the water now. Diaz would probably do OK but I cant see him being a draw for boxing fans so hes not going to get a 100 million dollar fight or anything close to it.

5 5 minute rounds is more than enough for MMA. Conor wasnt embarrassing in the slightest, it takes a different type of cardio to box than to mma.

Meh, Dana made allot of cash on that fight too. Ive not heard anyone say they wont watch MMA because Conor boxed. How is he embarrassing ? I am not seeing where youre getting this from. I agree, if hes not going to do title fights he needs to retire. Hes made enough money so he can afford to.

I think Conor was the wrong guy to put into boxing if his cardio was that bad. Greg Jackson's gym in Albuquerque is at a higher altitude and next to Sandia Peak which is perfect for rigorous cardio training.
A 15 mile round-trip fast run or hike up that mountain would enhance MMA fighters which many of them doat that gym. The UFC should have put in a fighter who trains like that. I also suspect that Conor does
not have the training ferocity of a D1 wrestler. In HS wrestling practice is usually 4 hours long. It's not
uncommon to lose 4-7 lbs of water if no water break is taken. College wrestlers train even harder than
that. So, a UFC MMA fighter should be at another level. Conor without "Cardio" renders his training
suspiciously weak.

I had not watched a UFC PPV in about seven years. I finally did just because of the hype with Francis
vs. Stipe. It must be pointed out that "boxers" can do well in their domain, but they may not always
do so in MMA where wrestling and a takedown defense are needed if the striking is nullified. Francis
just could not stop the takedown of Stipe. I was aware that Francis had come from a country in
poverty where he did not have access to wrestling or judo training as an adolescent. In a place
like Iowa or Pennsylvania (or just the midwest in general), a typical HS state wrestling champion
usually starts training by 4th grade. Many start by age 7 (or even earlier). So by age 18 they can
have more than ten years experience. I had the impression that Stipe was that type of guy in having
a deep, long-term level of wrestling experience prior to UFC while Francis had none before MMA.
So, it was a mismatch. Francis had no takedown defense after the 1st round and was just pummeled.
Wrestling skills were crucial in Stipe's victory. He was already training in wresting long before his MMA
career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh28-_bF9n4

Stipe was great in his sportsmanship. He clearly had reverence for Francis' physical agility and striking
skills that led to the swollen eye. To be fair, if Francis takes time to build wrestling skills as GSP did after
his loss to Matt Hughes, Francis could be very formidable in a comeback.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:31 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
[quote=MostSpot;49388228]This is after watching Conor McGregor lose

2. The UFC needs to add more rounds in ALL of their fights. Why are ONLY championship fights 5 rounds? 5 rounds isn't even enough. After Conor's embarrassing performance he said he wasn't used to 12 rounds of boxing= 36 minutes, now the boxing world is laughing at just the fact UFC's best fighter got tired fast and couldn't last 10 rounds. I say making it 8 rounds would be the right thing to do, it will be 40 minutes compared to boxing which has 36 minutes.

You have no clue the difference between boxing and MMA. I do think the McGregor/Mayweather bout was a money grab. In an MMA bout Mayweather would have lost much worse.

MMA is REAL fighting. Boxing is more dance and poke...........

Old 01-30-2018, 12:46 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
[quote=mtnbkr5;50838291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostSpot View Post
This is after watching Conor McGregor lose

You have no clue the difference between boxing and MMA. I do think the McGregor/Mayweather bout was a money grab. In an MMA bout Mayweather would have lost much worse.

MMA is REAL fighting. Boxing is more dance and poke...........
Spoken like someone that has NEVER EVER been in boxing ring and probably never been in a fight.

That was the REALEST fight McGregor's ever been in. His lights were about to OUT before the ref saved him.

If you can't hang in boxing, expect a sustained beating until you go down. There was nowhere for McGregor to run or hide.

Don't you think McGregor would have held and wrestled instead of getting KTFO if he could have?

Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
If it had been an mma fight, Floyd would have been tapping out within 60 seconds.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Here's the situation. McGregor went to the sport of boxing to run his mouth about how he will dominate both MMA and boxing with an iron fist. I think that's actually literally what he said. So, my expectation was that I was underestimating this guy and he was some kind of a monster. I even believed McGregor over Malinaggi. I imagine what he could do, but he was not able to execute against Mayweather who simply dominated him in that fight.

I gave McGregor only 1 round, the first. Why? Because McGregor had to restort to cheating as early as round 2. That means mentally, he was already beat. Then it was only a matter of time before McGregor was knocked out on live television in front of all his fans, with his dreams of fame crushed, as he became closer and closer to unconsciousness with every Mayweather punch.

Boxing is serious. If you have enough heart in boxing, you can die in the ring. People will rain punches on you. Tired is not an excuse. Stamina is a strategy. They used to go 15 rounds and I bet a high probability of fights ended in those rounds. That is some serious punishment.

With that said, nobody is making this about MMA vs boxing. Only an imbecile would go into an MMA fight without learning additional strategies. Unfortunately, due to the variety of ways to fight people and all the different methods of training, injuries are high.

With boxing, it is more realistic to see a fighter still operating at a high level in their prime if they are an elite fighter. As long as MMA fighters don't get injured and don't take a lot of punishment, this can happen too, but it is difficult. I think McGregor could last as long as he can keep the fights on the outside and continue to KO his opponents.

I don't know if McGregor has recovered from the Mayweather loss though. I think his ego is hurt because Mayweather was hitting him harder than he was hitting Mayweather, despite Mayweather being the smaller man. I guess we'll see.

Anyway, both MMA and boxing are fighting. If you don't believe me, try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)