Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 04:45 PM

313 posts, read 249,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
I believe this will open up a wide swath of previously inaccessible land (to development), right? Residential development there has to be primed with the close connection to 10 and the new commercial/industrial developments in the area.
Yup, I watched a city council meeting a few months ago that had a portion where they discussed a residential development to the northern side of Nevius rd between sollie road and hillcrest road. Residents in the carriage hill community were oppose to it bc their cottage hill road entrance of their neighborhood would be an access point increasing thru traffic. They’d rather the new community create their own entrance off of cottage hill. I don’t think the Asheville subdivision residents had any opposition. Some of the land between carriage hills and Asheville has been bought so maybe something will begin there but as of now, I don’t know where they stand. That curve going up the hill eastbound makes it tricky for placement of an entrance, I can only imagine westbound traffic trying to turn in smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 04:53 PM

313 posts, read 249,021 times
Quote:
No doubt! We also need to clear title on the new land created by clearing blight in the poorer sections of town
This is true. This program will be a great catalyst for east of I65. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al....outputType=amp

Old 04-05-2021, 05:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,218,312 times
Quote:
No doubt! We also need to clear title on the new land created by clearing blight in the poorer sections of town

A big problem I have are all the abandoned HUD properties scattered around the Inner Loop. Like the near 300 acre HUD properties across I-10 from the Berkley Aeroplex. It's among THE poorest in the city because of the wasted land. So much potential if they would sell the land, you can add at least 300 houses on the west side and the east side is big enough to a have small mixed use district with hotels, shops and apartments. Then there's the abandoned HUD land directly north of Downtown that can be used for a new entertainment district or mixed use district or somethings. It boggles me how much wasted land there is in the inner city that severely limits the potential of the city. If we want to become a next level city, the city needs to gain that land

Old 04-05-2021, 05:51 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
That would be nice, that's big thing holding Mobile back is the lack of new housing stock
That's a problem almost everywhere right now as well. And building supplies are sky high - I read (of course, you can read anything on the internet) that the cost of a sheet of OSB had gone from around $7 to over $30 over the course of a year. Some of that was allegedly due to to Covid restricts and decreased production.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's a problem almost everywhere right now as well. And building supplies are sky high - I read (of course, you can read anything on the internet) that the cost of a sheet of OSB had gone from around $7 to over $30 over the course of a year. Some of that was allegedly due to to Covid restricts and decreased production.

Yes that's true but its especially true for Mobile when you check ACRE's New Home Construction stats Mobile has next to nothing in terms of new home construction (10 compared to 89,189,42, 85, 305: Montgomery, Baldwin County, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Huntsville respectively).

https://www.acre.culverhouse.ua.edu/markets/mobile

(under "New Construction Sales" tab)

Old 04-05-2021, 06:19 PM

Also the expansion of 45 might come sooner rather later. The locals are putting pressure on Ivey and ALDOT to expand the highway

https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/s...iYSnD9P0Bkg6Ig

Old 04-05-2021, 06:30 PM

260 posts, read 202,145 times
Did y’all see in President Biden’s “infrastructure” plan that they wanted to create 2 million houses for low income people? I was doing the math on that and figured if they gave each county an amount proportional to the population then we’d get about 2,400 built in Mobile county with half or more going to the city most likely. Do y’all think they’d build those all together like where those housing projects are near Brookley? Or scatter them out and build them on the empty lots where blighted houses have been torn down?

Old 04-05-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Did y’all see in President Biden’s “infrastructure” plan that they wanted to create 2 million houses for low income people? I was doing the math on that and figured if they gave each county an amount proportional to the population then we’d get about 2,400 built in Mobile county with half or more going to the city most likely. Do y’all think they’d build those all together like where those housing projects are near Brookley? Or scatter them out and build them on the empty lots where blighted houses have been torn down?

I hope they don't group them together like they've been doing for generations, doesn't work put ALL the poor population in the same general vicinity, not only that they'll be competing for the same jobs around the inner loop and such. If they were smart they would spread them out to reduce competition for local jobs and you don't have a single massive place of extreme poverty. Put some HUD housing in the inner loop, put some in South Mobile near Tilman's corner so that they don't have to compete for same jobs jobs as the inner loop. Some HUD in West Alabama for Wilmer/Semmes/Schillinger Jobs and one around Airport blvd for airport jobs. Some HUD for North Alabama for Saraland job market, maybe put some HUD on the outskirts of Fairhope/Daphne for jobs over there

Old 04-05-2021, 08:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
I think it should be in blighted areas.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:53 PM

I predict that there will be even more pressure on expanding highway 45 as a MC Sheriff car was sideswiped by an 18-wheeler earlier. Wondering how much more is needed to convince ALDOT to upgrade it

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/new-d...krWevIdIXYf1yE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area