Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

Advertisements

Some discussion previous but here it is for someone interested in the Helena School District.
Bill O'Reilly: The O'Reilly Factor Flash - Wednesday, July 14, 2010
culture warriors segment.

Helena Schools page, info about the teaching is there, right at the start.
Helena School District Home Page

I made a few comments in the previous page, again not here to start a big fight but this is important info for parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM

160 posts, read 301,280 times
I must say the sex education being proposed is beyond ridiculous.

Unbelievable.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
In 1968-69, when I was in the 9th grade over at East Jr. High School in Great Falls and the sex-education class was a brand new thing, there was a simple solution to parents' concerns: each student was given a release form which their parents had to sign before that student could take the sex-ed class. (Which was basically biology plus disease info.) As I recall, only ONE student's parents refused to sign the release.

Anyway, I don't see why this simple system couldn't be used today, at every grade level.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
I also fail to see the importance of starting at such an early age.
With money in short supply, IMO this should be cut in favor of more pressing curriculum.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM

160 posts, read 301,280 times
I think we all had sex ed as children. Just not that young and definitely not showing 'little johnny' having two mommies or two daddies.

How did these people get to Montana? I thought we kept these wing-nuts corralled in California.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
It has created quite a storm here.

The school board seems to be pushing a political agenda instead of worrying about actually educating kids about sex.
It seems they cannot seperate teaching basic biology from indoctrinating kids into accepting a political agenda over what they may hear from their parents.

I read in the local rag that the rest of the document is a generic long term goals plan for education, except they slipped this little gem into it, and one school trustee is quoted as saying that they may implement the rest of the plan and rethink the indoctrination part. Fine by me.

The taxes we pay in this county for the school districts are stupidly high, and of course it is a black hole that sucks in every dime they can extort from the residents, but it is never enough. If they push this through against the wishes of the parents and the taxpayers at large, they may just find they are sucking wind at the next levy.
Even the teachers are talking to lawyers asking if they can opt out of teaching this garbage.

All we need to teach is basic biology for these classes, starting around 7th grade. I for one don't want to pay through the nose to fund a politically motivated agenda to indoctrinate kids into thinking the way the masters in the school board want the kids to think. Kindergarden and first grade kids aren't worried about these things, let them be kids, there is plenty of time for them to learn what used to be called Hygene.

When the district dosen't care about education or the wishes of the people in the district, they are setting themselves up for a lot of trouble. I don't think this will be forgotten at the next school election. I know I won't forget.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Where I'm at (Wyoming), school board meetings are open to the public. Is it that way in Montana? If so, attend the meetings, even if you don't have kids in school. Hell, most of the school board doesn't have kids in school.

We are shapping our states future. It takes a village to raise a child. Let the school board and the legislatures know that we're not going to put up with this crap.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
My big issue with this is after going through many years of dealing with the school system in MT I have no faith that they can teach this without injecting their bias and opinion as I've seen done many times in different classrooms.
What shocks me is the age to begin this that they just seemingly pulled from the air ( or did they?). What needs to be investigated is the agenda BEHIND this sudden shift. This isn't someone's "sudden" idea that it'd be a good thing to teach, this is a thought out campaign that I'm guessing they hoped would fly under the radar. The $100 question is why???
Is it being pushed as a way to shove MT toward being "progressive"? Is it a gay rights agenda? Is it a slap at conservatives? Is it a transplant on the board from the so called "all knowing" left coast trying to inject "this is how we did it back home" thing?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Where I'm at (Wyoming), school board meetings are open to the public. Is it that way in Montana? If so, attend the meetings, even if you don't have kids in school. Hell, most of the school board doesn't have kids in school.

We are shapping our states future. It takes a village to raise a child. Let the school board and the legislatures know that we're not going to put up with this crap.
And it looks like they got the village idiots!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

It is that way in Montana also. There was a board meeting earlier this week and about 300 were allowed in the meeting room due to size restraints, but according to a guy I talked to today who attended, there were about 500 in the overflow outside the building.

The vast majority of locals I have spoken to want nothing to do with this and from what I have heard from people who were there, out of the estimated 700-800 people at the meeting, less than 150 were supporting this.

Another gentleman I spoke to said this was an end run around the legislature as a bill promoting basically this same agenda was killed in the last session.
This is a political effort by a minority of people to implement the same agenda that was defeated in the legislature.

They forget we have a couple of outstanding Christian/and Catholic private schools in town. If parents pull their kids out of public school and put them into the private ones, the public district looses a lot of money from the feds and state as they have to have bodies in seats to estimate funding. Even a relativly small number of students leaving would have a large financial impact, so they better tread lightly.

Politics as usual in the capitol city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana