Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:32 PM

15 posts, read 28,731 times

Advertisements

This problem can be solved by USFWS declaring the wolf recovered in the ENTIRE Northern Rockies. They are recovered, period. Let Wyoming manage Wyoming wolves as they see fit. Let them deal with the lawsuits regarding their management practices.

It seems to me that this declaration would prevent them being listed again by judicial fiat, because they are obviously recovered throughout the region regardless of what Wyoming does or how many wolves survive outside the Yellowstone region within their state. They will be considered recovered simply because of the numbers in the Yellowstone Park ecosystem and Montana and Idaho. (And very soon Utah, Oregon, and Washington.)

USFWS just needs the balls to make the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM

11 posts, read 22,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
As a US District Judge, he enjoys a lifetime appointment to the bench and is such not subject to any electoral action.
And thank god for that. I shudder to think what will happen the day we have an elected federal judiciary.

To call Molloy a "green" judge probably isn't a fair characterization. Such a judge would have put the brakes on the Rock Creek mine proposal permanently.

Edit - Tell you what...I'll read the opinion and give my thoughts tomorrow.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRizzy141 View Post
And thank god for that. I shudder to think what will happen the day we have an elected federal judiciary.

To call Molloy a "green" judge probably isn't a fair characterization. Such a judge would have put the brakes on the Rock Creek mine proposal permanently.

Edit - Tell you what...I'll read the opinion and give my thoughts tomorrow.
I think I was just following a label from the link.
I am sure he thinks he is doing the right thing but folks are suffering losses in different lively-hoods.

Seven needs to do a little studying up on different types of judges, I guess I thought that all were elected. LOL

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboy View Post
What next? How can we get the spread of these animals under control?
ANSWER: Discreet but frequent implementation of the "(3) SSS Rule"!k

Edit:...and, ya know what. He (Malloy) is a Montana native; born in Butte; got both his degrees at the UofM.......He is 64....maybe he'll retire soon and we can get someone in that chair that doesn't "bow to the 'greenies'. Oh yea, he was appointed by Clinton.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 08-06-2010 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Info on Malloy

Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I don't like to sound bitter, but expected nothing more from Maloy.

The introduction of Canadian Grey Wolves into Montana had nothing to do with "bio-diversity" or "controlling the buffalo numbers", it is simply a tool to forward a political agenda.

By destroying game herds, you reduce the numbers of hunters, so if there are fewer hunters, there are fewer people voting to keep hunting legal, easier to outlaw hunting just as the same groups tried to get a trapping ban on the ballot.

By designating "critical habitat" you can shut down more public land to the select few card carrying members of the proper eco nut clubs and keep the unenlightened unwashed proletariat off the kings lands so they are reserved for the new "nobility".

By having "endangered" animals in an area, you can curtail grazing of domestic livestock on public lands, so no more revenue for those ranchers and less for maintaining the "public" forest lands.

More wolves are killed each year by the Fish and Game for livestock and domestic pet depridations than were authorized to be taken by hunters.

The elk herds in the areas I hunt have been decimated. It is hard to find a herd with live calves after July each year.
Deer are much harder to find, and each year the infection spreads.
In the Paradise Valley and Gallatin Valleys south of Livingston and Bozeman, the late season elk hunt is no more. There used to be over 300 licensed outfitters in the Paradise Valley, now there are less than 50.
Lots of jobs and revenue gone.

This ruling is going to turn a lot of law abiding citizens into vigilantes who will be forced to take the law into their own hands.

Wolves are just a means to an end to turn the state into a park for the rich and shameless at the expense of business and the citizens of the state.
People caused the problem by introducing wolves to Montana, but the wolves and the Citizens of Montana will pay the price.

This ruling simply is a green flag for SSS season to begin.
And someone else that can read between the lines and see it for what it is...... If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, must be a.....

It amazes me just how much has been destroyed by the wolf. Not just environmentally but economically too. The sheeple with the guidance of the enviro whackos never seem to look at the whole picture. Just the parts that fit their agenda.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM

160 posts, read 301,312 times
I read a post elsewhere where someone stated their rifle had 5 wolf tags already.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Here is a site with the hows and whys leading up to this decision.
Not familiar with it's origins, looks slightly left, recommends Llamas for cattle protection. Now I know that a hobby rancher with 10 sheep can use them but seriously....
Judge Stops Public Wolf Hunt in the West: Preliminary Injunction Returns Them to Endangered Species Status (http://endangered-species.suite101.com/article.cfm/judge_stops_public_wolf_hunt_in_the_west - broken link)

Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 AM

836 posts, read 1,493,013 times
Hmm, well, the Native Americans managed to be able to hunt enough to feed themselves way back before the Euro settlers drove the wolves to extinction. I don't understand why it is considered a valid argument to say "we should kill wolves, because wolves may kill other things we want to shoot." I'm gonna get flamed for hugging trees here, BUT the land belonged to the wolves and other wildlife long before human habitation. If we are seeing a decrease in elk population, this is because it is the way Mother Nature intended it to be. Why decry an attempt to return the landscape to a sort-of-natural state after 150 years of human abuse?

As far as I can determine from a quick whip-round the internet, Montana's wolf population is estimated at 525. Minnesota's wolf population is 2,921. Minnesota's land area is 60,000 square miles less than Montana. Minnesota currently does not have a public wolf hunting season. Does this make the state of MN a park for the rich and shameless?

By the way, I completely agree that Molloy is more of a ringmaster than a judge. The Grace case was nothing more than a spectacle. I know I read somewhere a few years ago that he said he was going to retire -- he must have reconsidered.

(These threads get kinda dull when y'all are always agreeing with each other! )

Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 PM

I think we have room for all opinions, you do have some points.
However this isn't two hundred years ago, and the land is used for other purpose now.
These are real losses Montana is experiencing. I am sure the elk, deer numbers were different then, conterbalanced with the number of predators.

Now if you were a wolf would not you rather run down a pregnant cow than a bull elk who might cause an injury you? Hunters are advocates of the wild as much as anyone. You will find that there are few posters here, a reflection of the low population.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
Hmm, well, the Native Americans managed to be able to hunt enough to feed themselves way back before the Euro settlers drove the wolves to extinction. I don't understand why it is considered a valid argument to say "we should kill wolves, because wolves may kill other things we want to shoot." I'm gonna get flamed for hugging trees here, BUT the land belonged to the wolves and other wildlife long before human habitation. If we are seeing a decrease in elk population, this is because it is the way Mother Nature intended it to be. Why decry an attempt to return the landscape to a sort-of-natural state after 150 years of human abuse?
Yes, the Indians got along just fine. But there weren't very many of them around then. Also, the Grey Wolf that was around, was a typical grey. 40-60 pounds, had a range of 50-60 miles.

The people that introduced these wolves weren't thinking very well. They went up and got McKenzie Grey's out of Canada. Typically, a male can reach 140-160 pounds and they range 450-600 miles.

Whooops, still got the same size elk, but almost 3 times the size of wolves. The critters can't fend for themselves like they used to. So you see, it's not how mother nature intended it to be, it was an organization that had no clue what they were doing.

If we're going to return the landscape to the state it was 150 years ago, let's start with major cities and work from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana