Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 96,324 times

Advertisements

Hello, thread hijacker here If this is bad forum mojo, let me know and I will start a new thread.

Anyone from these parts know much about Thompson Falls? My hubby is likely moving us there, and he does have work so that's not an issue. I lived in MT for about 5 years, mostly in Livingston and Hungry Horse, and did a school year in Hot Springs (I'm married to an educator). I did not like Hot Springs, the natural area etc., was great, but the town I found to be filled with people making, buying and selling meth, in the open, with nothing much happening about it from the police...people in town were putting out poison for cats, and poisoning everything else, and I could go on...but anyway all this was "normal". It was a weird place, that I was glad to get out of...

Been to Plains, it was fine, nice movie theater, but only drove through Thompson Falls, so I know it is pretty, but the whole meth thing, that bothers me. Anyone have any input? I live in a really rural area with closed up paper mills, so I know that esp. with the crap economy, things are bad for people. On the other hand, I don't want to live in a place where meth is made and dealt in the streets, where pit bulls attack you while you walk, and so on, I have young children, so I am concerned about this kind of stuff. Maybe T Falls is a great wholesome place filled with nice people, like many I encountered in MT, but I am a bit gun-shy of Sanders Co. after Hot Springs.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Thompson Falls is politically conservative. It has the reputation for being a family friendly town. The cost of housing is considerably less than most other towns in the state. I would consider it to be like a small Townsend rather than another Hot Springs.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM

451 posts, read 999,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Thompson Falls is politically conservative. It has the reputation for being a family friendly town. The cost of housing is considerably less than most other towns in the state. I would consider it to be like a small Townsend rather than another Hot Springs.
We lived in the Plains area 20+ years ago - I still get to T.Falls every so often.

I agree with historyfan's comment quote here, and will add:

Being off the Rez helps avoid some (not all) of the meth problems. No small town in the United States is absolutely free from drug or alcohol related problems. But T.Falls should be much more what you are looking for and WAY better in that regard than Hot Springs.

Good luck!

mg

Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,292 times
Default T.F. named after David Thompson.

Thompson Falls is is nice little town, it's our county seat and the fishing can be really good. ~♥~
Here is a photo that I took from the other side of the river of the flood release dam fully open.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM

32 posts, read 96,324 times
Looks like I got my own thread after all!

Thanks for the replies, monty, I didn't notice the Native Americans really being at the heart of the meth problem, it was all whites I noticed. I hear that you that no place is free from drug problems unfortunately, but I appreciate your input. I did get a feeling just the few times I stopped at T Falls that is was more family friendly, which I found Plains to be as well.

Thanks for the photo Don'tLook, I love that river, so beautiful...

Anyone know if the movie theaters in T Falls or Plains are still open? I loved the one in Plains, it is sad that with the switch to digital all the small town theaters are losing out...

Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainme View Post
Looks like I got my own thread after all! I didn't notice the Native Americans really being at the heart of the meth problem, it was all whites I noticed.
Sanders County is fine but Hot Springs has always been a bit loosey goosey. The few Indians that are into the "partying lifestyle" are not for the most part meth-heads. Most of the partiers are into pain pills and booze. Hot Springs does have it's good periods and it's bad periods. Meth is a big problem with the many white "tweeker" folks in this town and crime is up.
The Police "seem" to be trying to stem the problem but. ~ (Writing traffic tickets is so safe and easy)

Hot Springs ~ party town,
Plains ~ redneck town,
Thompson Falls ~ normal town,

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM

27 posts, read 61,209 times
The only problem with Thompson is the railroad crossings, other than that its a nice town. As long as you are content with having only four restaurants and a movie theater that doesn't play new movies (they can't afford one of the fancy new digital projectors) its fine. Its the kind of town where drivers will stop to let walkers cross the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana