Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
oh ya Montana is awsome! and these pics are what many consider to be the least attractive part of the state. billings is in the high plains whereas the western part of the state is kinda of what people think of when they imagine Montana. but i like the big open sky over living in the mountains.
Same here. Mountains are pretty but don't do it for me. I need those big views and open country -- can be flat, rolling, or rugged but I still want to be able to see company coming a day away (as the old plains saying went). Grassland is my favourite but sagebrush and desert are also my idea of beauty. Sand is in the eye of this beholder.

When I lived in MT, Billings had 3 good usedbook stores downtown, all within a block or two of each other. I'd hit them in order from cheapest (best selection too) to most expensive, and never once did I see ANY duplication in their stock (at least of stuff I wanted to buy!) Anyway, are they still around? you can't have a good town without a usedbook store!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Default Departure day

Well, for better or worse, there's no turning back now.

Jane

Suzie

Brent, outrider

Before it was loaded

Rear end

Leaving the yard

On the road

Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM

I don't want to hear anyone claim they couldn't see that wagon from 50 miles away

Interesting shot of the rider and pack horse together. You can sure see the difference in how the two horses carry themselves -- the one responding to the rider and the other just lazing along with the pack.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 AM

271 posts, read 460,149 times
Those are mighty fine looking horses Elk, and a nice, BRIGHT rig ya got there too! Wish I was going with...Have a great adventure out there on your way to AK. Hope you will be able to still post to us while on the road. I for one would love to hear about your trip! Wishing you great weather and safety along the way.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 AM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I wonder how many folks watch games from the hillside above Would be just about the same view as the nosebleed seats at a big stadium! So got any shots from inside the park, as you'd view the field?

Something interesting about all the pictures you posted -- they all show a passion for Billings and the surrounding area. They just have that feel of being "the right picture" which is kinda unusual for larger-city-area photos.
thanks rez
about the bookstores, ya there's still around 5 used bookstores in billings. the most of any city i've lived in in the area anyway. they're great! and i do love billings. haven't been inside the dehler park yet they don't start their season for around a month and can't really get up into the hill that you see in the pic behind the park to watch the game though, there's no trails there. all my pics were recent and the trees hadn't bloomed or the grass turn green yet so when everything greens up i'll take somemore of the parks. they're fantastic when they green up.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Montana Highway on May 7th, 2010. Heavy traffic.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM

That snow sure adds to the frontier feel of the trip, eh?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Anyone who hasn't gone and looked at the Alaska or Bust trip in a while, go do it! Click the Diary link and read all about it. You'll sure be glad to be home next to a nice hot fire.

I can't imagine what possessed 'em to take a dirt road from Reed Point to Shawmut, but they seem to have survived being, uh, possessed Tho if you want to see the backside of farm and ranch country, that's really how to do it. You miss so much from the main highways!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Anyone who hasn't gone and looked at the Alaska or Bust trip in a while, go do it! Click the Diary link and read all about it. You'll sure be glad to be home next to a nice hot fire.

I can't imagine what possessed 'em to take a dirt road from Reed Point to Shawmut, but they seem to have survived being, uh, possessed Tho if you want to see the backside of farm and ranch country, that's really how to do it. You miss so much from the main highways!
That's because dirt is much easier on horse shoes then a paved highway.

The shoes should have lasted between 150-200 miles. But, they are at 320 no and getting a set of shoes. Not bad. Also, it is a wonderful way to see country you haven't seen before. People have chased them down and given them oats and pellets for free. They also met and camped on a place who's owner is the President of the Draft Horse Association of Montana.

But they will be hitting main roads soon. Once they leave Great Falls and go up through Conrad they'll probably use main toads.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:17 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
Atleast the toads won't wear out their shoes as fast either!

As I'm sure you know, from Great Falls North there is mostly a parallel road that follows the interstate so you wouldn't have to deal with all the crazies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana