Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 14,222 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Snoqualmie, Washington. My husband was born and raised in Portland, Oregon and on Quadra Island in B.C. We now live 12 miles South of Portland and own an auto repair business. We are in our 50's now, have 3 grown children and one grand baby. I guess my question is this. I have never gotten use to stop lights and hoards of people and have managed to retain my country ways and quality of life to the best of my ability living so close to the city. To those of you who live in Western Montana does this sound like a good fit for us? We are good responsible people who just want to live our lives without being bothered. We want to have some animals and our chickens...We want to fish....We want a quality life for our Grand child...We want to plant and garden, etc etc. We are hearty people from the great North West so I'm thinking the winters won't kill us Any suggestions, comments, advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now we are looking to purchase around 40+ acres in the Darby/Hamilton area... I do know there is a Costco in Missoula so that takes care of any of my shopping questions/needs. One thing I am questioning is the amount of bear, wildcats, wolves and the such that we would have to co-habitate with? We have coyotes, racoons, possom and critters of that caliber here. Thank-You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Carla, I think you'll find that Ravalli County in general will be a good fit for you, provided that you've crunched the numbers and found that a move to this area will be financially feasible in the long-term (I should warn you right away, though, that the valley does have the occasional traffic light, but nothing too serious). The winters aren't considerably atrocious, and Missoula is accessible for whatever shopping you need that may not be available between Darby and Hamilton.

Highway 93 isn't my favorite in the winter, I'll tell you that--there isn't even a dividing median between the section from Hamilton to Missoula (north) where the highway offers four lanes for traffic, and I've been told that an exceptional winter like this last one can bring pretty uncomfortable driving conditions from Hamilton to Lost Trail (south).

Hopefully others can help you with the personal farming/livestock/fishing aspects of the valley. Not really my thing, but as I'm sure you know, wild animals, which are indeed abundant in the Bitterroot, can be a nuisance to such activity, be them deer (eating vegetation) or wolves, bear and mountain lions (preying on chickens, cows, dogs, etc.)

On a final note, I'll assure you that Northwestern transplants to Montana typically feel very much at home here...hell, depending on who you ask, Montanans are Northwesterners, too.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:04 PM

82 posts, read 200,607 times
Carla, my wife and I live in Hamilton, by way of Salem and the Oregon coast (and a couple other NW places in between!) We've found the transition quite manageable, and not much different from our most recent home of central Washington. The Bitterroot Valley is considered the "banana belt" with respect to much of the rest of the state, and while winter temperatures are often cold, it's not something that a PNW'er couldn't adapt to.

To us, the highways and roads of the valley are quite open and uncongested. Larger animals here, while fascinating to watch, don't seem to often be an issue on the valley floor; the upland areas may be different.

Many raise and keep chickens here, ourselves included. From your post, it sounds like you'd all fit in just fine!

Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Smile The big move

Thank-You both so much for your replies ....We are really excited about this whole move and getting back to a better quality of life! I read on one of the threads here that the "Inversion" phenom is quite common place in the Bitterroot valley. Is this true? We do get that here as well in the winter, but more often not. Also, I read where the fires can get pretty bad during the summer and that spending 6 weeks enveloped in smoke isn't uncommon. Is this a fact? And last but not least for now, my Hubby is an L1 ASE Master Technician and has been for almost 40 years. We own a very successful Auto Repair Shop. Our only advertising is word of mouth. We also work on and build specialty motors, not to mention vehicle (street Rod, Muscle Car, etc) restoration. We drag race a 1967 Blown Alcohol GTO just to give you an idea. What does it look like over there for perhaps opening up an auto repair shop? Thanks again! Carla

Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla S View Post
Thank-You both so much for your replies ....We are really excited about this whole move and getting back to a better quality of life! I read on one of the threads here that the "Inversion" phenom is quite common place in the Bitterroot valley. Is this true? We do get that here as well in the winter, but more often not. Also, I read where the fires can get pretty bad during the summer and that spending 6 weeks enveloped in smoke isn't uncommon. Is this a fact? And last but not least for now, my Hubby is an L1 ASE Master Technician and has been for almost 40 years. We own a very successful Auto Repair Shop. Our only advertising is word of mouth. We also work on and build specialty motors, not to mention vehicle (street Rod, Muscle Car, etc) restoration. We drag race a 1967 Blown Alcohol GTO just to give you an idea. What does it look like over there for perhaps opening up an auto repair shop? Thanks again! Carla
I have read your post twice and feel compelled to provide some info (my opinions) that you may or may not have considered.

40+ acres will cost you anywhere from one thousand per acre up to five thousand per acre....depending on the following:...Location; View; Trees; Decent Access; Proximity to Electric Power Source &/or Phone Line; Proximity to a Water Source (drill a well?) or a stream (water rights?) or ???.; Ability to get a decent Internet Connection and Zoning and or Covenents for the particular piece of land.

I bought my 14 acres 38 years ago and began living here (approx 12 miles outside of Hamilton) full time 35 years ago, and believe me when I say:..... Living & having an auto business 12 miles south of Portland 'vs'
living and have a similiar auto business here in Ravalli County (outside of Hamilton or Corvallis or Darby or ???), are truly "at opposite-ends-of-the-spectrum". (I am familiar with the Portland area having traveled there for business and pleasure over many, many years.)

It appears that you possibly may be raising a grand child.......that may to some degree, influence your choice of location. (DO YOUR HOME WORK!!!!!)

Forest Fire smoke: YES, we do have that situation quite often in the late summer & early fall months!
And it can last for as long as 6 weeks!! and be quite severe.
Weather Inversions: Yes, we do have them quite often in the winter months. And sometimes they can last up to a week at a time.
Our winters can vary considerably from year to year........... I have recorded temps as low as 38 below zero here at my home (Not often, but it does happen)....and snow depth at my home up to 29 inches deep on the level.....again not every winter, but it does happen.

Regarding animals: I have had inside my fenced 14 acres :mountain lion; wolf; bear; bobcat; coyotes; porquepine(sp?); skunks; Badger; deer; elk; moose; Bald Eagles; Great Horned Owls and many other forms of wildlife (many of which can be a problem. Small dogs and cats are quite high on the list as far as being killed by owls, lions, eagles, bobcats; coyotes and wolves (depending on where you are located in the valley.)

....Again DO YOUR HOMEWORK ......particularly in regard to what your annual income will REALLY be here in the valley vs what you are used to where you are now...............again, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

True, the B.R. Valley is a great and beautiful place to live, however there certain negative aspects that have to be considered......and those only become apparent when extensive research (homework) is done.

Good Luck..............

Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM

Good Morning Montana Griz!
I/we are doing our homework and I know (as you have pointed out) that it can't be emphasized enough. No, we are not raising our grandchild, although our son, his wife and baby want to move with us. All concerns regarding the baby will defiately be factored into our decision. When I asked about opening up an auto repair business I was getting a feel for that particular need in your area and just throwing it out there. I also am aware it would not be a concrete way to make a living. We are selling the race car, our home, our shop, etc before we come. We also think it would be a good idea to perhaps rent a place until we decide where we ultimately want to be. Yes there is SO much to be considered as you said and I can't thank you enough for your input. I told my daughter-in-law that I wasn't real thrilled about wolves hauling off my corgi and she replied with.."There are wolves everywhere...Would you rather have government wolves or wolves in the wild?" She has a point! Thanks again and if there's anything else you can think of to add to my list of homework, please let me know =) Carla

Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla S View Post
Good Morning Montana Griz!
(Snip): We also think it would be a good idea to perhaps rent a place until we decide where we ultimately want to be. --- Carla
Yes, renting a suitable place for up to a year would be an excellent idea......that way you could experience all 4 seasons in this valley and have a chance to talk to various local residents, in different areas and on different sides of the valley.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM

82 posts, read 200,607 times
Carla, I encourage you to browse the Pics Thread (sticky), found at the top of the Montana threads. Pages 52 through 55 contain some of my Bitterroot Valley photos, including those of the summer 2012 wildfires (intensity that year was atypical of a normal fire season, although fires and smoke of this magnitude occasionally occur). You'll also find other pics from various Montana posters showcasing the natural beauty of our state.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
I do not know the feasibility of relocating an auto repair business to the Bitterroot. I would visit with commercial lenders in Hamilton about their perspective on potential viability for such a business. If you were considering the Billings area, I would think you could make a very successful transition. It may be that in the Bitterroot you might just be buying yourself a job and perhaps not even that.

Unless, of course, you have specialty clients that will still utilize your services irregardless of where you locate.

It always better to research fully before emotions of falling in love with a great locale take over. Good luck with your next chapter.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
Carla S, we too are looking to relocate to the Hamilton area of MT. My husband and I will be retired and our kids are telecommuters. We will be bringing living wages but not taking any jobs which sounds like a good match for the area. We will be moving from the Santa Cruz area of CA. Hoping to live in a state where they use 'common sense" to legislate. And they say you can actually eat the fish you pull out of the rivers in MT! Thank you to all who have answered Carla's questions, it has been very helpful. Sonne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana