Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 15,075 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York City and I want to move somewhere more peaceful and quiet. I love the scenery in Montana and the fairly small population, but I'm not sure if the politics there are too conservative for me. I heard Montana is pro-choice when I comes to abortion, but I think they mostly have a right wing view. Still debating on whether or not I should move here. I like the idea of no sales tax. What is the best town in Montana for a liberal to live in?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:46 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyonda View Post
I currently live in New York City and I want to move somewhere more peaceful and quiet. I love the scenery in Montana and the fairly small population, but I'm not sure if the politics there are too conservative for me. I heard Montana is pro-choice when I comes to abortion, but I think they mostly have a right wing view. Still debating on whether or not I should move here. I like the idea of no sales tax. What is the best town in Montana for a liberal to live in?
If you're a Liberal why would you care what other people think? It's the Conservatives that seem to be concerned about what others do or think.

If you just MYOB you will have no problem no matter where you live.

I live in the heart of the Conservative bible belt and I could care less what others think or do.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
If you're a liberal why are you moving to a red state ? If you are pro gay marriage, pro big gov't, pro high taxes, etc, then why are you moving to an area that doesn't represent what you believe in?

All you liberals are just a virus, just keep spreading to conservative areas. You destroyed beautiful places like California & Vermont, and eventually you'll get to Texas & Florida...hypocrites

Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
If you're a liberal why are you moving to a red state ? If you are pro gay marriage, pro big gov't, pro high taxes, etc, then why are you moving to an area that doesn't represent what you believe in?

All you liberals are just a virus, just keep spreading to conservative areas. You destroyed beautiful places like California & Vermont, and eventually you'll get to Texas & Florida...hypocrites
Thanks, perfect example of why Conservatives can't mind their own business. Right away you assume because somebody is a Liberal they want to come in and change your way of life.

Did you ever just consider to MYOB?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:32 AM

347 posts, read 521,152 times
Quote:

If you want to be a liberal, fine. But if you move to our beautiful state, keep your filthy, New York City, divide-and-conquer, identity politics to yourself. Try to force these ideas on others here, and it won't go well. Also, remember that we love our guns and no one is taking them away from us...not even you and your NYC elite, cultural marxist friends.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
True Montanans tend to have a libertarian viewpoint---not the Libertarian part necessarily.

In short, they do not get into each other's business.

Your religion, politics, sexuality, etc are considered PERSONAL.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:49 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
Move to Missoula. Enjoy the best city and the views you share. WINNING.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:41 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
If you're a Liberal why would you care what other people think? It's the Conservatives that seem to be concerned about what others do or think.
I have a feeling you haven't lived in a very liberal place. People (red or blue or any other color) care what other people think. Liberals care very much what other people do or think, just as Conservatives do - they just target different areas. Red team loves to manage your social life - telling you what what substances you can or cannot ingest, what behaviors are or are not tolerated, etc. Constantly trying to define what being good old fashioned "American" actually means (hint: it involves a heterosexual married couple with kids, guns, and church.) Blue team loves to manage your work life - telling you what you can or cannot purchase, how much money is too much and should be taxed more, or how much is not enough and should be raised. What industries are bad and should be discouraged, and which are good and should be subsidized.

I don't care to debate either team, but it's ridiculous to claim that one cares what you do/think and the other does not. Being a liberal in Alabama or a conservative in San Francisco must be equally frustrating.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
What is the best town in Montana for a liberal to live in?
Montana results for the 2012 presidential election:

The 5 counties to the north and east (all east of the continental divide) that voted for Obama are Native American reservations. You almost certainly should not move there. The 3 other counties are Missoula, Deer Lodge, and Silver Bow. Most of their population lives in the cities of Missoula, Anaconda, and Butte, respectively. The Anaconda-Butte region has less than 50,000 people living it. By New York standards it is incredibly small and it has been shrinking for the past 30 years.

Missoula County has about 110,000 people with 70k of them living in the city of Missoula. Still small by New York standards, but it is an actual city with most city amenities and is also the home of the University of Montana. Easily the largest concentration of liberals in Montana. Some other cities like Bozeman or Livingston will have a sizable population of transplants but they aren't the majority in their counties. You'd probably be most comfortable in Missoula.

That said, Missoula is still Montana and Montana democrats are not equal to New York democrats. The more libertarian live-and-let-live attitude is still pervasive in most rural, western states. Depending on your own politics, you may not be comfortable in Missoula either. But to be candid, places that are "peaceful and quiet" are also likely to vote Republican. The only places in the country I can think of that are both rural and vote liberal are overwhelmingly minority (Hispanic in the southwest, esp. New Mexico or Native American on reservations) or New England. So you'll either have to move to New England or get used to living in a conservative state. Another area that might fit is western Oregon or western Washington where you can find more rural areas but still be in a fairly blue state.

Out of curiosity, is something wrong with Upstate New York? Almost anywhere in the country is going be more peaceful and more quiet than NYC and you don't have to go all the way to Montana to find it...

Old 07-25-2015, 02:51 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
That graphic is presidential/nation office voting...state offices tend to be held by Democrats. The state legislature swing back and forth.

Presidential Democratic candidates tend to be to left of center--average MT voter is fiscally conservative but socially liberal. If Democrats run a populist pres candidate or a pro-military candidate--Montana would vote Demo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana