Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
Ah yes, the one that got away story. Haven't heard that one before huh Stephan?
At least my dad was with me so I have a witness!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Those lakers don't fight worth a darn.... I've caught a 23 lb mac and my fishing buddy caught one that was 2-3 pounds lighter than the record, it's mounted on his wall. The whitefish fight way more than any lunker for sure...
We usually catch em trolling. 23lb wow! I've never caught one that big... yet.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
At least my dad was with me so I have a witness!!
That's why I ALWAYS take one of my boys with me now weather they want to go or not... Got to have a witness .

How big was the sturgeon you caught? The couple I've heard of getting reeled in many years ago here in Lake Erie were monsters, literally ! I guess lately people have been catching more and more small ones in Erie. Everyone is all excited that they are starting to make a comeback. I think it will be at least another 1000 years before they get to any kind of real numbers considering how slow they reproduce.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
We need to start a Montana fishing tales thread ! I am sure I could come up with a few "whopper whoppers" !

Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
We usually catch em trolling. 23lb wow! I've never caught one that big... yet.
That's how we did it, steel lines w/ 2 poles bouncing it off the bottom.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Just to show it's no tale, here's a pic of my friends dad with a 26# mac he got that week.
Attachment 18398

Last edited by jimj; 12-22-2008 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
Back to the OPs question, I guess everyone has their own reasons to move or not to move to Montana. Personally I moved here because every time I visited here for vacations (mostly to ski) I didn't want to go back. The people and the scenery got got their hooks in me and it became too expensive to keep going back and forth.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
That's why I ALWAYS take one of my boys with me now weather they want to go or not... Got to have a witness .

How big was the sturgeon you caught? The couple I've heard of getting reeled in many years ago here in Lake Erie were monsters, literally ! I guess lately people have been catching more and more small ones in Erie. Everyone is all excited that they are starting to make a comeback. I think it will be at least another 1000 years before they get to any kind of real numbers considering how slow they reproduce.
It was 32" and had some good weight to it, (we didn't have a scale to weigh it.) Wierd looking fish, kindof prehistoric looking. I've heard that the "Flathead Monster" is a big sturgeon people have caught and released.

It had these wierd barbs by it's mouth and the sucker could fight a line!

That's the only one I've ever caught, and haven't seen another one since.

I think rickers had a good idea, we should start a fishing stories thread! It is spring afterall! (even though its freezing right now..)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:19 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
wow sounds like there is alot of great things about Montana thank you guys for your input!!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 AM

15 posts, read 28,286 times
I have to disagree that there are a lot of great things about Montana, and that people who live there want to stay. I was originally from Portland, Oregon (a very clean/safe city), and moved to Missoula for two years. The weather was harsh, the people were VERY unwelcoming (they hate out-of-staters), and it was the most god-awful boring place to live. Honest, someone said that people just want to live in rural areas like Missoula, but if that is the truth then why is it that most of the US population lives in large cities? Why? Well, simply put there is a serious lack of diversity and culture in Montana, and a huge lack of things to do. Also, a lot of people in Montana are pretty backwards (like something straight out of Deliverance!). Personally, I hated living in Montana. There is much better outdoor activities in California as well. Montanans always tote how amazing the outdoor activites are, but in California you can go skiing and to a sunny beach in the same day. California also has Yosemite, which is on par with Glacier. There is nothing Montana has that California does not (this includes places that are rural, places with low costs of living, and places with low crime). Serious, I would never return to Montana, and would make it a point to drive around the state if I ever had to go through it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana