Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 02:43 AM

16 posts, read 22,428 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been looking at homes online for about 3 yrs now in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. We found one we really like in Lincoln, MT. I've read all I can on websites, but would like a more realistic opinion of the area such as weather, doctors, hospitals, veterinarians, etc.

We are almost retired and have no reason for employment when we move. We love the mountains, hiking, nature, wildlife, motorcycling, river floats and more.

We are moving from Iowa where the summers are extremely hot and humid (I hate) and winters can be lots of snow, below freezing temps and way below wind chills to the point they cancel school.

The first time we took a vacation to the mountains was 5 yrs ago to Jackson Hole and when I saw the Rockies for the first time from the plane window, I cried. They're so beautiful! Since then, we've been vacationing in Montana and Wyoming - Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton and one year just drove all three states just to see what the geography was like and where we would like to live. We've visited in the Summer and Winter and loved both.

We're down to earth people and seem to get along with everyone we meet. Yes, we live in John Wayne's birthplace where people from all over the world come for his birthday. But, we're ready to leave John. LOL We've lived in the suburbs of a city, acreage in the country and now small town of about 5000. Definitely like the small town or country.

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 04:52 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardunk81 View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been looking at homes online for about 3 yrs now in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. We found one we really like in Lincoln, MT. I've read all I can on websites, but would like a more realistic opinion of the area such as weather, doctors, hospitals, veterinarians, etc.

We are almost retired and have no reason for employment when we move. We love the mountains, hiking, nature, wildlife, motorcycling, river floats and more.

We are moving from Iowa where the summers are extremely hot and humid (I hate) and winters can be lots of snow, below freezing temps and way below wind chills to the point they cancel school.

The first time we took a vacation to the mountains was 5 yrs ago to Jackson Hole and when I saw the Rockies for the first time from the plane window, I cried. They're so beautiful! Since then, we've been vacationing in Montana and Wyoming - Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton and one year just drove all three states just to see what the geography was like and where we would like to live. We've visited in the Summer and Winter and loved both.

We're down to earth people and seem to get along with everyone we meet. Yes, we live in John Wayne's birthplace where people from all over the world come for his birthday. But, we're ready to leave John. LOL We've lived in the suburbs of a city, acreage in the country and now small town of about 5000. Definitely like the small town or country.

Thanks!
If you want to get away from snow and cold, Lincoln is definitely not for you. They get snow when nobody else does.

It's a very small community, not a lot of amenities there. For just about everything you'll have to go to Helena which is only 56 miles, but in winter going over Flecher Pass is a real adventure.
One small clinic for medical care, I don't know of any veterinarians there.

Lots of grizzly bears though.

You may wish to do a little more research before taking that leap.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:15 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,985,486 times
I have to agree with MT Silvertip. Lincoln is a great little town to visit (there are some very nice USFS campgrounds along the river and in the mountains), and the fishing is great.
Flecher Pass can be "interesting" on a good day, in the winter it is even more so, if it is open at all. Missoula isn't too far away, but Highway 200 can be a solid sheet of ice for miles in the winter.
Yes, it is a beautiful area, but as the common saying goes, "Ya can't eat scenery!"
If you move there, plan on buying a good sized ATV or UTV (with snow plow), a snowmobile, and a 4X4 (Jeep, Subaru, Nissan, etc.). My ATVs are Kawasaki Brute Force 750cc units, street legal. Lots of fun in the summer, and great snow plows. Here in Billings, I didn't have to plow snow at all last winter!
I strongly recommend an extended visit to Lincoln, either in an RV or stay at a motel. Tour the area, meet the people, check out the available real estate, visit the library, etc. Remember, in small town Montana, bars/saloons/taverns are "community centers".
Good luck.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:01 AM

We love the snow, but don't want to be "stuck" without medical care. Getting old is so scary, but then again, you'll go when you're time is up.

Thanks to both!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 AM

246 posts, read 350,649 times
I moved to Northwest Montana in 2004. I'm back in Wisconsin now as of 2016 in the Northwoods. Been to Lincoln many times as i 1st lived in the Helena Valley. As stated above Flescher Pass can be a real "challenge" if you need to get to Helena for doctors or shopping. Lincoln also has quite a few anti-government types. Think "Unibomber" Montana in general outside of the big metro areas seems to attract anti-government types. Not all bad folks but definitely something to watch for.

Also your likely in for sticker shock on the price of things. Compared to the Midwest, Housing is nuts in Montana. I bought a 12 year old house with barns and storage on acreage for less than HALF of a similar property in Montana. I also pay about 40% for insurance compared to what i did out there. My beater which is an 07 Escape runs me $400 a year full coverage on a 1M-2M Commercial insurance policy, MY 11 F250 runs $900 including a snow plow rider for full coverage. My business general liability with about 150K worth of equipment coverage runs me around $1700. My entire policy is $3,350 a year. I was paying nearly 8K in Montana.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is fire/smoke season. Many years it can drag on for 3-4 months. 2 years ago Seeley Lake and Lincoln got HAMMERED with smoke and wildfires. It's really nothing you want to live through. This was last August...... https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-an...es-near-helena

People romanticize the west and the mountains. I'll admit i did the same but after 12 years i learned i could visit there for my high and live somewhere else that was more cost effective. Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2020, 02:25 PM

8,503 posts, read 8,811,218 times
I'd buy on a verified well maintained state / county road with a short access road or be well prepared to plow or find the hired plow guy before buying.

Or consider a 2-4 month snowbird adjustment. Maybe even just to an apartments in Helena as needed?

Cimate info https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt5040
Averages 85 inches of snow per year historically. Ask about recent. Probably will have a foot of snow on ground 4 plus months. 20 nights go below zero. You are used to winter but Probably will get tougher to deal with.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-24-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-24-2020, 09:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardunk81 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks!
The scenery will become just a backdrop eventually. It's the same way that people in Des Moines aren't in awe of what the Capitol looks like and people on the coast don't stare at the ocean all day. You also can't eat scenery. Much of Montana has a very high cost of living, especially the pretty places. I don't know about Lincoln specifically but it's something to look into when you move anywhere.

As mjstef mentioned, there are lots of anti-government people in the small towns in western Montana and some of them are, to put it bluntly, bat**** crazy. They will probably leave you alone but they're there. Also, Montana is VERY red politically. That could be good, that could be bad for what you like, but politics are brought up constantly and complaining about liberals is a pastime. Also be aware that many people are suspicious of outsiders initially. That doesn't mean they won't become your friends eventually, but it is there.

As far as amenities, as others have said, there aren't many there. Not much for healthcare or for shopping. Entertainment in Montana outside of the larger cities is outdoorsy stuff like hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping. All of which are very fun to do (although I'm not a big hunter, don't really care for the meat and I like to sleep in )

Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 PM

140 posts, read 156,186 times
Most these other post are spot on. Lincoln is pretty and I like going there but living there isn't the best idea. I was once cutting firewood near Lincoln and had a chainsaw accident and was badly injured. When I made it to their Clinic they told if I was 5 minutes later they would have een closed and I was losing blood fast enough that I would not have made it to Helena or Missoula. That right there told me it is best to live near a 24 hospital for those times you need to be at one of them.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:17 PM

Thanks everyone!

Lincoln, MT is out for us!

Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 PM

8,503 posts, read 8,811,218 times
You may have back-up places already in mind.

If you wanted suggested small MT places with a bit more services and easier access to cities, you might consider Boulder, Townsend, Whitehall, Dillon, Columbus... maybe Darby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana