Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
We are also entitled to live without a threat to our personal well being...whether in the form of a human being or a pet that is bred to kill.
True, but you need the government to protect you from a dog? I've had dogs attack me before, and I sure didn't rely on the law to protect myself.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Everyone who has a pit will tell you there's is docile and quiet. I'll bet the one that attacked me was docile and quiet too.

I understand pits can be good dogs, I get that. What you and other pit owners need to understand is that these dogs are bred with the will to kill. You and other pit owners can sugar coat it as much as you want, these dogs are dangerous.
I dont understand how you or anyone can say a dog is BRED to kill... no dog comes into the world, only been alive for a few minutes, and starts to think "time to start killing people, thats what i'm here for". It's all how you raise the dog. People just think pitbulls are "bred to kill" because they are a larger, stronger dog than most. That does not mean they have to kill people/animals. It is all how you raise the dog.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM

239 posts, read 687,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShads2 View Post
I dont understand how you or anyone can say a dog is BRED to kill... no dog comes into the world, only been alive for a few minutes, and starts to think "time to start killing people, thats what i'm here for". It's all how you raise the dog. People just think pitbulls are "bred to kill" because they are a larger, stronger dog than most. That does not mean they have to kill people/animals. It is all how you raise the dog.
If you do a little research into the breed, you will find they WERE bred for the fighting ring. All breeds were developed for a purpose whether it is hunting, herding, protection or for a companion. It is unfortunate but in England they found it to be entertaining to watch dogs fight. It was legal there until 1835. Bulldogs were not interested in fighting so were crossed with English Terriers to produce a killer.

Maybe the solution is to work the instinct out of the breed because a purebred pit bull can be a killer. This can be done by mixing them with other breeds.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShads2 View Post
I dont understand how you or anyone can say a dog is BRED to kill... no dog comes into the world, only been alive for a few minutes, and starts to think "time to start killing people, thats what i'm here for". It's all how you raise the dog.
How the dog is raised and treated has a great deal to do with how well socialized he will turn out to be. The dogs breeding also has a lot to do with how he acts towards people and other dogs.

I don't mean any offense by this but to say, "its all how you raise the dog", is very naive. Its like the behaviorists who argue about which is more important in a persons upbringing, nurture or nature? The fact is both are equally important.

German shepherds and Dobermans are also dogs that have been bred for a certain task, the difference with these dogs is:

1) They will give a warning before they engage, Pits normally will not because they are more fearless, so they simply set their ears forward and clamp on and jerk shake and tear.

2) When a Pit bull does attack he does a lot more damage and he does not stop as easy as most dogs will. Most shutzland (sp) dogs have to be trained to continue the attack even if the person they are attacking hits them or pokes their eyes. Pits don't need to be trained this way they love it when the adversary fights back, it gets them worked up. Thats why these dogs are not well suited for shutzland competition, its almost impossible to get them to control their aggression while in the heat of battle/competition.

I owned two pitbulls when I was a late teenager. I've also owned a German shepherd sent right from Germany. While growing up we always had two or three Dobermans around.
I don't like being the guy talking bad about the Pitbulls but I'm just telling you that my experience tells me these dogs ARE dangerous.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Maybe they should try banning the owners instead.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
they should keep pitbulls in montana, they are as much fun to SHOOT as coyotes would a lab bite a stranger? yeah, but can you make a pit a retriever? Im going duck hunting soon. can they swim? naw they make a better target.
Ugh...this type of mentality is just sick !!!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 PM

24 posts, read 62,592 times
Thanks for the petition site. By the way, in reference to some of the positive comments I read about the bill, one of the scariest dogs I ever ran into as a groomer was a black lab whose own owners were afraid of it.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmem View Post
Thanks for the petition site.
I understand what you guys are doing and I applaud your efforts but for you guys to sign up for this forum just to push your petition is not really ethical.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 24,183 times
I simply don't understand how anyone thinks that saying Pits are/were bred to kill makes a good argument. Please, stop regurgitating the speaking points you hear on the news. Dogs were bred to kill. Period. Afghan Hounds were bred to kill hare and deer, Airedale Terriers were bred to hunt foxes and otters, Boxers were originally bred as fighting dogs, Dachshunds to hunt badgers, Pits to take down bulls - most dogs were bred to "kill". So that point makes absolutely no sense to me. One of the main reasons the domesticated dog exists at all is for hunting and protection purposes. To kill, stalk, point, retrieve, etc - prey. A dogs temperament is a direct reflection of the owners ability to understand him and give him what he needs. It's called socializing your pet. The news reports pits are bad, vicious dogs, so bad people go out and get one to fight it. It's cyclical. If the news did the same for, lets say a border collie, just as many irresponsible people would be out trying to get their hands on border collies for fighting. It's a matter of fact that any dog you lock up in a kennel 24 hours a day is going to be untrustworthy and a danger to people and other animals. Once again, its called socializing - or a lack thereof. And yes, pits will warn you if they are feeling threatened. A human's inability to recognize the stiffened posture, the stare, or any of the other subtle signs of an agitated dog doesn't mean the dog wasn't sending signals of "stay away". The chow that took my top lip off was definitely sending me signals that I, at the age of 8, did not recognize. Am I basing my opinion of a breed on the experience I had with one dog? No. Because I am an adult capable of recognizing that stuff happens and that is life. I implore you, before becoming prejudice and perpetuating stereotypes, research the breed. They deserve a fair chance.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
I'm for the ban. I was bitten by one as a teen and I watched one that was supposedly never ever aggressive attack a guest at a friends party. "He's never done that before". Right. They are an aggressive breed that I will never trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana