Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times

Advertisements

I live in Iowa and run a small BBQ CATERING BISNESS. I lost a retirement job four years ago and decided to strike out on my own working for myself. I love to hunt and fish and am so ready to make a change. Ide like to find a small but not to small mountain town where I could build my buisness and enjoy the rest of my life. Im 53/single and look forward to the challenge in moving out West and start fresh. My food is GREAT if I do say so myself. Im looking for a partner who loves to cook and could add to my dream. I have excellent equipment just rite for setting up a small take out/eat in BBQ shack. I specialize in Pork Spare/Baby Back Ribs,Pork Loin,Ribeye,Chicken,Pulled Pork,Pork Chops to name afew. Good food doesnt have to come from a fancy place. All my meats are slow smoked using Apple and Hickory as my wood of choice. Heard good things about Helena,Missoula and Billings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
Good cheap food sells just about anywhere, and good homestyle BBQ isn't the norm (most BBQ places I've seen seem to sell out-of-a-bottle food, okay but hardly memorable) so with real homestyle cooking, you might have a good shot at growing a word-of-mouth business. Personally I'm no fan of Missoula, but I like Helena and Billings and Great Falls. But I prefer plains and rough country to mountains, too. I don't know what BBQ joints there are already, and I don't expect there's a big market for catering, but as a small takeout joint with a few tables for eat-in, and with a good product getting you good word of mouth, I don't see why you couldn't do well. Occurs to me that there might still be some old A&W or Dairy Queen stands around that are now vacant, have good locations, and might suffice for what you have in mind.

On the downside, I recently read that the old Sandy's hamburger stand in Great Falls finally failed, after decades in business at a good downtown location. Can't quite figure that one, but chains are pushing out family eateries all over. Myself, I don't like chain food much!

Every time someone mentions opening a cafe or the like, I remember a dumpy little joint on the east end of Billings. Xmas night of 1980 I drove clear across South Dakota, fetched up in Billings about 4pm the next day -- icy road, sun in my eyes, and hadn't eaten in 24 hours. So I stopped at the first food joint I came to. The place probably seated 100 or so and there was exactly ONE seat available, which I took. Pointed at the next guy's plate and said I'd have that. Well, the food was good, plentiful, hot, with a bunch of side dishes included that I hadn't expected, the service was quick and pleasant, and it cost all of $3.25, which was a good price for a full meal even back then. Made it real obvious why this totally non-fancy eatery was chock-full of obviously-happy diners!!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM

189 posts, read 799,463 times
The Helena market is screaming for a good BBQ joint. There have been a couple here over the years that have gone belly-up, but I'm not exactly sure why. Location, inconsistant hours and an inconsistant product are the primary reasons for failure I'm guessing.
I have a buddy in Iowa City that runs an OUTSTANDING BBQ place and I've always wished there was a place like his here.
If you have good food at a good price in a good location and you're dedicated, I'm sure you'll be able to do well here.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
If you locate anywhere between Great Falls and Shelby I'll be your first customer. I am fond of Texas style BBQ brisket all chopped up and on a bun with a bit of hot sauce, mustard and BBQ sauce on it. I will try whatever you cook up as long as it's better than "Famous Dave's" !
The best BBQ I've ever had came from a hole in the wall called Henry's BBQ in downtown San Diego.
Now I'm hungry.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbeque Bob View Post
I live in Iowa and run a small BBQ CATERING BISNESS. I lost a retirement job four years ago and decided to strike out on my own working for myself. I love to hunt and fish and am so ready to make a change. Ide like to find a small but not to small mountain town where I could build my buisness and enjoy the rest of my life. Im 53/single and look forward to the challenge in moving out West and start fresh. My food is GREAT if I do say so myself. Im looking for a partner who loves to cook and could add to my dream. I have excellent equipment just rite for setting up a small take out/eat in BBQ shack. I specialize in Pork Spare/Baby Back Ribs,Pork Loin,Ribeye,Chicken,Pulled Pork,Pork Chops to name afew. Good food doesnt have to come from a fancy place. All my meats are slow smoked using Apple and Hickory as my wood of choice. Heard good things about Helena,Missoula and Billings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a great thing to do in Belgrade!

(Wait.. I might be moving soon for work so I'd suggest waiting until I know for sure so you can go to my town and then I wouldn't have to miss out on that awesome BBQ! )

Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
Maybe you better rethink this move. It sounds like the customers are already fighting over who gets to eat the goodies. If you're not careful you'll wind up shredded and in the BBQ yourself.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:30 AM

160 posts, read 301,160 times
Rickers,

Absolutely the best Texas BBQ I have ever had was at Louis Mueller's in Taylor, TX. According to my Tex buddies it's over 100 years old. It's northeast of Austin. If you get the chance go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Edit: Not 100 years old. He started it in 1949. A little trivia, Stevie Ray & Jimmy Vaughan did a photo shoot for their "Family Style" album there. I think you could find an old table and a couple of chairs just about anywhere. I guarantee you they were there for the grub.

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/index.htm

Last edited by cumminszhere; 02-20-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbeque Bob View Post
Hey BBQ Bob.............. Missoula (and the Missoula & Bitterroot Valleys) are in real need of a decent, quality BBQ place. Famous Dave's in Missoula leaves much to be desired.... and at present, there is no BBQ place in the B>R> valley.

If your "stuff" can come close to: "LUM'S Full Custom Gospel BBQ" in Junction, Texas,...........................you'll make enough in those 9 years (till you're 62) to retire on your own island in the south pacific.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,244 times
For the last 5 years or so BBQ has become very very popular. If you get a good location have great food with good service and prices you'll be successful almost anywhere.

When I lived in northern Wyoming and traveled north I thought that Hamilton in the Bitteroot Valley would be a great place to live and work. Missoula and Bozeman are college towns so I would think that they would be a good choice as well. Billings, however, is definatetly not a small mountain town. Good luck in your search!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,210 times
I wonder if Bob abandoned his idea? Well I'm interested anyway. My wife is a certified chef and southern gourmet cook. We are moving to Montana to get away from this miserable Georgia heat and humidity. ...and for the snow and lift tickets! I've been pitching ideas to her about different things she could do there, a BBQ place (she is amazing at smoking!), a breakfast & coffee place (grab and go) or something like that. We have eaten at the place in Oakhurst, California that won the Kraft Foods million dollar prize for best BBQ and, I've got to tell you, it's head and shoulders better than anything we had when we lived in Texas, here or anywhere else. My wife is gifted with amazing taste buds. She likes to show out sometimes by tasting something and calling off the ingredients. I've been in the sign business for 38 years and recently sold my business. I don't think I'm going back into that, not enough respect for real talent and experience anymore. We are looking at Billings, Missoula, Helena, and even Kalispell. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana