Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

My opinion ... West Virginia University and WVU Medicine are easily our state's very best assets. The excellent care and medical training there benefits thousands daily in our state and region. We are blessed in Morgantown to have a major presence of that organization here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Good to hear and supersizing UPMC isn't among the top.

With that being said,... Eat $&!* Pitt!
I don't believe most private schools were included/participated but I'm not 100% sure on that. Figured I'd mention that in full disclosure, but we did just hire away the head surgeon of their cardiac program so that has got to sting a little bit lol.

I'm happy to see we are ahead of Penn State and Ohio State on this list.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:07 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
So for a little bit of perspective, #2 on this list is currently ranked by US news and reports as the #10 best hospital in the nation. So being close to that type of company is pretty good. Also the #9 school in this list is #19 in the US news and reports.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I don't believe most private schools were included/participated but I'm not 100% sure on that. Figured I'd mention that in full disclosure, but we did just hire away the head surgeon of their cardiac program so that has got to sting a little bit lol.

That seems to be the case, and Pitt is "state affiliated", not state owned, so it is private and not public.
Given that state government provides very little support for WVU compared with the services provided, WVU should be moved to that category too with greater autonomy.

At any rate, this is an outstanding accomplishment.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:46 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Good to hear and supersizing UPMC isn't among the top.

With that being said,... Eat $&!* Pitt!

Im no fan of Pitt or anything Pittsburgh sports related, but UPMC did make this list, sorry lol.....

2016-17 Best Hospitals Honor Roll and Overview | Best Hospitals | US News

I knew Ruby was a much more capable hospital than I initially thought, when I found out that they can handle most things without needing to send people up to Pittsburgh. Usually when you live within a couple hundred miles of a major city thats always the place to be sent for major operations or whatever. Mon General on the other hand I often hear not so good things about, although Ive also heard from a few nurses that its the better one to work for lol......

Old 10-12-2016, 06:56 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That seems to be the case, and Pitt is "state affiliated", not state owned, so it is private and not public.
Given that state government provides very little support for WVU compared with the services provided, WVU should be moved to that category too with greater autonomy.

At any rate, this is an outstanding accomplishment.

well especially since its only 14% state funded, compared to 60-70% 30 yrs ago according to this- http://wvpublic.org/post/wvu-cut-45m-spending-2020.....wow

Old 10-12-2016, 10:49 PM

Default WVU Discusses Research in Morgantown

WVU researchers are highlighting accomplishments at The University, including one of the Nation's only two PhD programs in Forensic Science.

Educators present rundown on WVU research and academics | 1440 WAJR | The Voice of Morgantown | Morgantown, WV

Old 10-13-2016, 05:47 AM

273 posts, read 382,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post

Penn State, at number 7, has the same arrangement as Pitt being a state-related school. WVU is just better.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:10 PM

334 posts, read 495,932 times
Default WVU possibly building 2nd Visitors Center in Evansdale

Any guesses as to where?

The Dominion Post - www.dominionpost.com

Old 10-16-2016, 02:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
According to the RFQ, it's next to the Blue Gate at the Coliseum. I assume it's in conjunction with the original plan of having an external ticket booth and expanded team store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown