Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:30 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times

Advertisements

Sour grapes, IMO.

TheDPost.com - Property owners sue city over proposed building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 AM

334 posts, read 495,870 times
Those a$$holes.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Giuliani granted an exception to zoning ordinances for his partnership with the Presbyterian Church project? If so, that is quite possibly precedence for throwing out the suit, or it would result in revocation of his exception.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Giuliani granted an exception to zoning ordinances for his partnership with the Presbyterian Church project? If so, that is quite possibly precedence for throwing out the suit, or it would result in revocation of his exception.
Yes, he got some variances relating to parking and approval to build part of the building on a lot zoned for lesser improvements. There is no legal point in pursuing a revocation of a variance that has already been approved on a building that is already constructed (for the most part). It won't happen.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Yes, he got some variances relating to parking and approval to build part of the building on a lot zoned for lesser improvements. There is no legal point in pursuing a revocation of a variance that has already been approved on a building that is already constructed (for the most part). It won't happen.
Okay, but the fact that he has himself sought and received exceptions to the ordinances could be grounds for a court to declare his suit frivolous, I would think. The most this will cause is a delay.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM

124 posts, read 151,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Okay, but the fact that he has himself sought and received exceptions to the ordinances could be grounds for a court to declare his suit frivolous, I would think. The most this will cause is a delay.
I think they are pursuing multiple issues with taking legal actions. Biafora has said this is just the first in a series of lawsuits against the city. He said other suits may include the WVU projects, CVS / bank project, Sheetz, and other downtown improvements. I think it is also clear he does not approve of the current city manager or planner (said on WAJR). To be honest, I can't exactly figure out what Biafora and Guilinia are trying to accomplish. I agree with CT, this may cause a significant delay in the projects. I doubt it will stop them from happening.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 AM

For him to get a delay, he would have to get a judge to issue an injunction. I don't know how likely that would be to happen. I am not thrilled with the current city management myself (too tied in with the old guard and has too many buddies among city employees too look after the citizens' interests properly), but I am in favor of development downtown as long as it doesn't affect the character of High Street. Giuliani is trying to protect his current investment value... Biafora the competitiveness of what he is building. I don't blame them, but I don't agree with them. It's a free market system, and they have to suck it up and compete. These developments need to go forward.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I think they are pursuing multiple issues with taking legal actions. Biafora has said this is just the first in a series of lawsuits against the city. He said other suits may include the WVU projects, CVS / bank project, Sheetz, and other downtown improvements. I think it is also clear he does not approve of the current city manager or planner (said on WAJR). To be honest, I can't exactly figure out what Biafora and Guilinia are trying to accomplish. I agree with CT, this may cause a significant delay in the projects. I doubt it will stop them from happening.
Better sue Daniels Department Store for wanting to build that mixed use building downtown too... Panera has too many customers so I think they need sued too. How about that new sorority building going up on Spruce? Sue sue sue!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM

354 posts, read 505,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
Actually, I'm hoping they're successful stonewalling the Sheetz. They can suck it in regards to the actual quality downtown growth.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:19 PM

191 posts, read 306,309 times
yeah, screw the Sheetz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown