Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times

Advertisements

I found this petition online that is in need of some more signatures. So if you've ever dreamed of riding your ATV on the road, signing this couldn't hurt.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/mak...otorcycle-laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Not sure what the issue is here ...

ATV's have been "legalized" in many states under the Fed statutes of just a few years ago. They now require titling, and licensing is available for many machines with proper lighting.

What state are you in that doesn't allow ATV's on the road?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Not sure what the issue is here ...

ATV's have been "legalized" in many states under the Fed statutes of just a few years ago. They now require titling, and licensing is available for many machines with proper lighting.

What state are you in that doesn't allow ATV's on the road?
I'm legally allowed to own an ATV, yes. But drive it on the road like an everyday vehicle? Not anywhere I've ever been. As far as I knew, no where in the US is it legal to drive an ATV on the road. I live in Virginia and it's definitely not legal to drive around on the road. The only places I know of where it is legal is the UK, Sweden, and parts of South America. Where do you live?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm legally allowed to own an ATV, yes. But drive it on the road like an everyday vehicle? Not anywhere I've ever been. As far as I knew, no where in the US is it legal to drive an ATV on the road. I live in Virginia and it's definitely not legal to drive around on the road. The only places I know of where it is legal is the UK, Sweden, and parts of South America. Where do you live?
Wyoming.

The state registration/licensing laws here changed starting about 3 years ago in response to new Federal standards. Up until then, titling an ATV (as well as a number of other "off-road" vehicles) was not required. But the Fed's have changed that ... all ATV's must now be "titled" like other motor vehicles.

The change in the law came about due to so many ATV's being involved in motor vehicle accidents (yes, even off-road) and nobody had insurance, and in some cases, ownership/responsibility was pretty murky. By now requiring a title, they opened the issue of licensing. This also addressed a growing issue with ATV (and utility motor vehicle) thefts. With a title now required, it's not so easy anymore for somebody to steal an ATV and then sell it to an unsuspecting new owner ... just like a car, it must have a title checked for the prior owner and properly signed over.

Here in Wyoming, as well as other Western states, you must title an ATV and then register it (get a license plate) before it can be used off-road on public lands. The license plate issue requires motor vehicle insurance. If it meets the federal standards for size, weight, lighting, etc., it may then be operated on public roads. ElkHunter, a Wyoming moderator, has posted that he uses an ATV for urban transport instead of his diesel pickup truck. As well, I see a number of folks in Cheyenne using them for city area transportation ... licensed, insured, fuel efficient economical urban transport.

I've seen ATV's on city streets in Idaho, Utah, Montana, the Dakota's, and Colorado, and nobody seemed to raise an eyebrow over their use.

I'm not sure where you'd find the Federal motor vehicle statutes for ATV's posted, but the Wyoming Motor Vehicle Statutes have them listed with the size, weight, lighting, and other requirements for "utility vehicles" titling and registration per the Fed statutes. They took ATV's out of a sub-category of motorcycles and incorporated a whole new category of "utility vehicles", powered motor vehicles that aren't cars. You might want to check your state statutes for the latest revisions.

A quick check of area ATV street legal use laws for West VA says that they allow an ATV on public paved roads (with a centerline) if the travel is less than 10 miles distance, at a speed of less than 25 mph, and the operator is wearing a helmet. No mention of licensing of the ATV, or insurance in those guidelines. So I know that ATV use is "legal" in at least that state, which previously posted the highest numbers of ATV fatalities in the country.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM

Wow. That's some good news, actually. Hopefully laws like those will make their way to VA. I would love to do like Elkhunter and be able to trade my car in for my ATV. Thanks for the info, sunsprit. Much appreciated.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
It's legal in Wyoming with some reasonable restrictions. My son was telling me a few weeks ago about a particular golf cart he wants because it can be street legal. He lives on a golf course, and this would enable him to drive the cart on the street to the course rather than sneak onto the fairway behind his house. He said he could also use it to run to the store or wherever he wanted to go.

That petition is kinda silly, imho. States govern what's legal on their roads, not the federal government. If you want the laws changed in your state, check your current laws, get with your local state representative or senator, maybe enlist the help of an attorney, see how the statutes read in states where it's legal, such as Wyoming, and go from there. Chances are a petition isn't needed, but if it is, it's gotta be signed by residents of your state -- probably by registered voters.

ON EDIT: Hi Sunsprit. *waves* If I'd have known you were going to post I'd have just left it up to you.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
In Arizona you can make your ATV Street legal

The required equipment to make an ATV street legal.

Equipment needed for registration,

In order to get an ATV registered in Arizona it must have the following equipment:

At least one brake that can be operated by hand or foot.
Brake light.
At least one, but not more than two, headlights that shine at least 500 feet ahead.
At least one taillight visible for at least 500 feet to the rear.
At least one red rear reflector, if not part of the taillight.
License plate securely fastened to the rear of the ATV.
License plate light.
Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet.
Muffler in good working order and in constant operation. Muffler cutout, bypass or similar device prohibited.
Rear view mirror.
Seat and footrests for the operator.
Fuel tank cap.

If you live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas you may also need to have your ATV emissions tested.

**Arizona traffic laws that apply to ATV'S**

The following is an overview of Arizona traffic laws found in Arizona Revised Statues, Title 28.

Title 28 contains all traffic laws of the state, and this overview highlights those which are applicable to ATVs.

This overview should NOT be considered LEGAL ADVISE. It is intended to be used as a reference guide so you can be informed of applicable laws. After each section, is a brief sentence that tells what the section addresses.

You can access the complete text of each statute by going to the following website:
www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28

Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Not legal in florida

Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Not legal in florida
Didn't FL approve statute 316.2123 in 2006, allowing "multi-purpose" vehicles to use unpaved roads with speed limits up to 35 mph? With the usual operator requirements, such as helmet, age 16 and up, etc?

FL also has accomodated non-standard vehicles for urban transport with developments such as The Villages. You can get around a very large region for all of your shopping, restaurants, churches, medical, visiting friends, and recreational needs with nothing but a golf cart. There's dealerships there that specialize in upgraded golf cart based vehicles, with fancy options and cabs. Pretty amazing area to see all the folk commuting this way off the streets with a road grid built for them. Also interesting to see all the billboards in the area advertising medical services, right down to "specials" on certain medical procedures catering to the elderly .... and accessible via your golf cart.

As for other states, the new Fed designation is "multi-purpose" vehicle, not ATV. So look for language in your statutes that address this new category of motor vehicle which took ATV's out of the motorcycle statutes and created new statutes for ATV use.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
They are legal here in Idaho on everything but state and interstate highways, basically anything numbered. Fine on county roads as well as all forest service roads. You need insurance, registration ($10 per year), plate ($3 for 5 or 7 years), headlight, brakelight, mirror and horn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles