Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

"Salton Sea"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Anything filmed in a Desert or in snow. Its so lifeless to me and I want to watch movies for the nice settings that I dont usually get to see. Not stinking hot, yellow tinted, sweaty, sand scenese. This is why I hate the first bit of Return of the Jedi....cant stand Tatooine. Or Cowboy movies where the ride around in lifeless deserts.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was such a great movie. And yes, the setting was depressing as hell.
This one is in my library. The whole mix of innocence and the father's selective vision is crushing. When they realize what has happened to their son at the end...

Sophie's Choice is the movie which I still find the most depressing of all. It wasn't about how back then, in the camp, she had to choose, but how while it took a long time to die, she started to then. The shots of the camp were also as accurate as they could make, and the actors were taught the way both prisoners and guards learned to walk in the mud which was always there.

Oddly, I find this movie one which is good to watch when I feel down. It takes you there and then there is no way but up.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Without a doubt, The Road.
The Road ends with hope.

The entire story of survival in The Road has the subtext of the boy resisting the man's turning away from his fellow man. Against his father's wishes, the boy insists that they share some of their provisions with the old man, Eli. And when the thief takes their belongings and the man is able to recover them, and he then takes the thief's clothing, the boy - knowing that it being winter this means the thief will surely die - insists that he be allowed to retain enough of his possessions to survive. For the boy, existing is not enough. He needs to also retain his humanity.

Sure, near the end the man dies. But he's been slowly dying the entire film, so that's no real surprise. And after the man's death, the boy finds a family with which he can live - hope, amidst the despair.

It's a bleak film, but the tale is one of the struggle for decency in a profoundly indecent environment, and the ending offers the possibility that decency prevails.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Hysterical Blindness. Bleak story of bleak women in a bleak part of New Jersey.

But I love the movie.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
No movie can make me want to kill myself, but there are movies which make me feel lucky not to exist during that time in those conditions. These movies specifically involve black people in any movies depicting Slavery and Jim Crow, The Holocaust, soldiers during the Civil War or any war for that matter, native Americans being killed or mistreated, and Indians from India in any era, including "Bollywood".

Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Road to Perdition
Mystic River
Prisoners
Place Beyond the Pines
The Grey
Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Road
The Swan
Revolutionary Road
Pans Labyrinth (hated)
Schindler's List

and BTW, I agree with the poster above, there was never a time, place, or movie that made me want to kill myself?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The Road ends with hope.

The entire story of survival in The Road has the subtext of the boy resisting the man's turning away from his fellow man. Against his father's wishes, the boy insists that they share some of their provisions with the old man, Eli. And when the thief takes their belongings and the man is able to recover them, and he then takes the thief's clothing, the boy - knowing that it being winter this means the thief will surely die - insists that he be allowed to retain enough of his possessions to survive. For the boy, existing is not enough. He needs to also retain his humanity.

Sure, near the end the man dies. But he's been slowly dying the entire film, so that's no real surprise. And after the man's death, the boy finds a family with which he can live - hope, amidst the despair.

It's a bleak film, but the tale is one of the struggle for decency in a profoundly indecent environment, and the ending offers the possibility that decency prevails.
yeah, but those are your feelings....not mine...and yes, your totally right in the description, but.....

Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
I believe this is set on real world. But the movie is depressing because of the living condition of the protagonist:
Pan's Labyrinth.
A poor unfortunate gal she was!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I believe this is set on real world. But the movie is depressing because of the living condition of the protagonist:
Pan's Labyrinth.
A poor unfortunate gal she was!
your right, I forgot....that movie was horrible....would watch it again

Schindler's list, also could never watch again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies