Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:40 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times

Advertisements

OldBoy (2013 Remake)-Trailer #2 (HD) Samuel L. Jackson - YouTube

I just don't know how Hollywood's version can top the original Korean movie. I'm kinda curious what they going to do. Any thoughts? I thought Hollywood did a decent job remaking Infernal Affairs but yeah, still like the original better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

OldBoy (2013 Remake)-Trailer #2 (HD) Samuel L. Jackson - YouTube

I just don't know how Hollywood's version can top the original Korean movie. I'm kinda curious what they going to do. Any thoughts? I thought Hollywood did a decent job remaking Infernal Affairs but yeah, still like the original better.
Spike Lee showed us he can do thrillers with The Inside Job. Oh, and just the fact that he brought Sam Jackson into this one, makes it appealing. He did give Sam his career in Do The Right Thing!

I saw the original and think with the references to 9/11 and Obama....this one might be a contender!

I personally think Spike is a jerk, but he can deliver a great movie! He just needs to keep his mouth shut.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Remakes are sometimes a double edge sword, especially if people already saw the original. I am curious what they are going to do for this remake's ending. If they kept the ending the same, people will be like ehhh? Just a copy cat, might as well watch the original. If they pulled something completely different, it must have the same kind of effect as the original or it's a huge let down.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 PM

277 posts, read 506,598 times
I thought Oldboy was an okay film. I wish two scenes were cut out. Loud mouth Samuel L. Jackson scene where he is getting his throat cut and the fighting scene with all the thugs. If those two scenes weren't in there it would have been better.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
haven't seen the new one, but from what I've heard, it doesn't hold a candle to the original.

There are so many good Korean thrillers out there, its only a matter of time before Hollywood makes more copycat failures.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
haven't seen the new one, but from what I've heard, it doesn't hold a candle to the original.

There are so many good Korean thrillers out there, its only a matter of time before Hollywood makes more copycat failures.

Yeah. I heard Hollywood is already going to remake New World, a Korean drama about undercover cop and organized crime. I hope it live up to it the Korean version. Last time Hollywood did a remake from Asia about organized crime and undercover cop, it turn out pretty well...The Departed.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
could not even make it through the entire movie

Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Everyone is droning on in different reviews about how much better the original Korean version is. A long time ago I started to watch the original and I turned it off about 20 min into it. The bad acting, horrible horrible dubbing... couldn't take it.

I forgot about that movie and just recently watched the American remake and found it to be a pretty good film. I too thought some of the fight scenes went on a little long and they could have trimmed a few places, but overall I was entertained.

The reviews said how much more disturbing the original version is, IDK.... I think this was more of a mystery/horror movie and the original was supposed to be more of a visceral horror movie....

Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM

277 posts, read 506,598 times
I like Old Boy. There were two scenes that didn't belong in there. Of course with the Samuel L. Jackson getting his throat cut and the fighting scene. The movie is indeed twisted. I like it and Josh Brolin did a good job. Welcome back.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Saw the new one, I thought it was okay. Original was definitely better tough.

The new version took out the very last scene from the Korean version, which I thought was one of the best parts of the movie.

Another movie I could see Hollywood going after is "I Saw the Devil." It was even better than Oldboy, and the original Korean main character in Oldboy is the bad guy in I Saw the Devil. It was a terrific movie, and I could definitely see HOllywood remaking that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies