Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times

Advertisements

Okay now that I've read the thread I cannot believe I forgot Blow. I was a huge 21 Jump Street fan like most kids in the 80's but I'm sorry his best work is on the big screen. Though I do indulge in the "McCade Brothers" memories from time to time. Hulu is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times
"What's Eating Gilbert Grape"

YouTube - 1993: What's Eating Gilbert Grape Trailer HQ

Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Secret Window. I really love this movie.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Absolutely. And I see Rum Diary is in production. For other Hunter S. Thompson lovers, I'm reading Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson right now. The intro is by Johnny Depp. It's a great book.

Also loved The Ninth Gate.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,431 times
The Ninth Gate!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Before Night Falls! He plays 2 opposite characters in that film and one is really really really pretty.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
chocolat, the ninth gate, finding neverland and blow, but i can't watch blow, it's too sad.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM

221 posts, read 519,815 times
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Donnie Brasco
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Ed Wood

Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 PM

52 posts, read 102,570 times
Donnie Brasco
Edward Scissorhands
Arizona Dream
Blow
Chocolat
Sleepy Hollow
The Ninth Gate
Ed Wood
Pirates of the Caribbean (Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest)

There's a few I haven't seen yet. I've only recently seen some of the movies on my favorite list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Before Night Falls! He plays 2 opposite characters in that film and one is really really really pretty.
Someone mentions it on the first page...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Okay now that I've read the thread I cannot believe I forgot Blow. I was a huge 21 Jump Street fan like most kids in the 80's but I'm sorry his best work is on the big screen. Though I do indulge in the "McCade Brothers" memories from time to time. Hulu is great.
Its the McQuaid Brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
OK, I agree - he was good in 21 Jumpstreet. But, still...best work?

How about his portrayal of Donnie Brasco? I'd say that cop performance beats out that of agent Hanson.
I don't believe Tom Hanson was an agent. And Donnie Brasco was a movie about a real person, so that would be hard to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I have really fond memories of that show. I was a kid and I was fascinated with Depp's chin-length hair (it inspired my own hair through the early 90s).

But best work? I hope you're joking.
I have to say, I really believe some of Depp's best performances are on 21 Jump Street. He is excellent in both drama and comedy.

Some of his best performances (I'm also including the more comedic episodes)

The Pilot episode
Low and Away
Gotta Finish the Riff
Fun with Animals
Besieged
Loc'd Out
Orpheus 3.3
The Dreaded Return of Russell Buckins
Chapel of Love
Don't Stretch the Rainbow
After School Special
Hell Week
A.W.O.L.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
The man is a great actor and what makes him ever better...he doesn't bow down to the hollyweird lifestyle.

My favorite: The Secret Window.

My second favorite: Blow.

I personally loved 21 Jump Street when I was a kid...only watched if b/c of Hanson. Had to laugh when he was pointed out as the guy who gets sucked into the bed in the movie "Nightmare on Elm Street" b/c as much as I loved him as a kid...never would have guessed that was JD.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I was just reading about him and Jolie having a hot shower love scene in their new movie and when I thought about it.....he hasn't really done that before has he? Chocolat? Not even in Don Juan I don't think. All those movies, huge sex appeal and yet he doesn't play "leading men" or have hot love interests. I wonder if that's part of his romantic appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies