Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 01:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Friday Box Office Analysis

*snip*

An insignificant number of people are watching Batman v Superman and saying, “Wow, I’d like more of this.”
Who are David Mumpower and Kim Hollis?

According to Deadline and other sources, they're incorrect.

Quote:
Warner Bros. finally made the movie that most Batman fans wanted a see: A movie that was akin to an adaptation of Frank Miller’s beloved The Dark Knight Returns comic book series, which ends with Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne beating the crap out of each other. No amount of dagger-throwing by New York Times critic A.O. Scott or Wall Street Journal’s Joe Morgenstern was going to prevent audiences from seeking BvS. Not to mention, fans finally got to see Wonder Woman’s bigscreen debut (a Fandango poll revealed that 88% were interested in seeing the movie just for her). Rev4 movie theater metrics showed that of those polled during the last two weeks of their theater sample, 75% said they wanted to buy a ticket to BvS (to 18.5% who didn’t). Sixty-percent of those polled by ComScore last night said they bought tickets in advance.
‘Batman V Superman’ Box Office: DC Tentpole Eyes $170 Million Opening | Deadline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 01:46 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Who are David Mumpower and Kim Hollis?

According to Deadline and other sources, they're incorrect.

‘Batman V Superman’ Box Office: DC Tentpole Eyes $170 Million Opening | Deadline

And:

‘Batman V. Superman’ Advance Ticket Sales Pacing Ahead Of ‘Deadpool’, ‘Avengers’ & ‘Furious 7’ | Deadline

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” is Fandango’s top pre-selling superhero film ever, beating previous record holders, “The Dark Knight Rises” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”"

'Batman v Superman' Breaks a Fandango Sales Record

Old 03-26-2016, 01:52 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Some interesting reads

Is Batman's Mom Really Named Martha?

'Batman V. Superman' Fails Because It Was Too Scared To Go Full 'Injustice'

Quote:
After seeing the movie, things sort of went as expected after I saw those reviews. Critics were indeed being overly harsh (if anyone genuinely thinks this is worse than Daredevil, they’re crazy), but the film itself was still…not very good. Man of Steel was no Iron Man, and Batman V. Superman is certainly no Avengers. Not even close.

What the critics do have right is that much of the blame seems to fall on director Zack Snyder and his writing team. The man creates some masterful visuals and a few powerful fight scenes (the actual Batman vs. Superman fight sequence is fantastic, when it finally does arrive), but the script, the plot? That’s why everything falls to pieces.

Part of the reason why this is the case is because it’s essentially Snyder (and writer David S. Goyer, among others) trying to create a plotline that uses comic characters, but isn’t truly based on any actual source material. Instead, it’s an amalgam of a bunch of different disconnected storylines that in no way make for a cohesive whole. Sometimes this works (see Nolan’s trilogy), but this time, it doesn’t. Not by a long shot.
Good questions

baffling questions Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice refused to answer

Old 03-26-2016, 02:10 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
All the movies essentially utilize an "amalgam" of storylines to adapt their scripts.

Injustice wasn't the aim of BvS. First off, the proper characters nor critical story elements aren't in place. That guy's way off. That doesn't mean it can't happen later.

If the movies were to adapt the storylines literally, the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 wouldn't have been a white guy, and we might've seen another face in The Dark Knight Rises don the cowl in order to bring the film closer to Knightfall.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:21 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Worst film with Batman…ever. Unlike Batman & Robin which was bad in a way that you could laugh at it (dumb puns, bat nipples, etc.), this was just a massive headache. It’s extremely slow with no likeable characters and it over relies on CGI.

Batman was a psychotic idiot.
Superman had the personality of a wall.
Lex Luthor was a clown instead of a charismatic evil genius.
Lois Lane was okay.
Wonder Woman was just there.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:03 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I can agree that it is annoying but in context, he is much much better than the trailers. Lex is a nutty combination of classic Lex and a Web 2.0 CEO. He was wacked out but he made sense and the same time. Perhaps I am able to decode that and others can't.
How did he make sense? His motivations are entirely nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Injustice wasn't the aim of BvS. First off, the proper characters nor critical story elements aren't in place. That guy's way off. That doesn't mean it can't happen later.
'Injustice' is very clearly the aim. Otherwise numerous scenes("You're right about him!") in the movie were entirely pointless and Snyder is even more inept than I thought.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:58 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Watch 'The Town.' Affleck is a very good actor(and director).

Didn't care for it myself. I think his problem is that his list of movies for the most pat are... okay, not great but just okay. And the women find him attractive for the most part which sort of moves with beautiful women you don't really have to know how to act. Just because you do one or two good movies doesn't make you a great actor. Look at the list below of movies he's done not so good to be honest.
One thing that I do think Ben does is fit the cowl VERY good he's got the chin for it.

IMO, DD is still the best comic to movie/TV I have seen to date.

List of Ben Affleck Movies

Old 03-26-2016, 06:42 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Its a movie about comic book character heroes. I never read comics, other than a cursory look literally a handful of times, so, I'm no expert on the subjects. But, I saw it last night and I thought it was good.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
My thoughts on the tone is spoilers.
Spoiler
it looked like you took injustice and The Dark Knight Returns with an adapted Death of Superman story that featured Batman.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:20 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Batman vs Superman never made much sense to me. Superman is pretty much invincible where Batman is far from it. Superman would have destroyed Batman without busting a sweat, in both sense of the word.

Superman vs Hulk, now that would have been awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies