Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The audience ratings are dropping like a rock now that the biggest fanboys have already rated it. This might flop pretty hard considering the gigantic budget.

It's rating around a 7/10 with general movie-goers.

Quote:
According to ComScore PostTrak, which polls throughout the weekend, the word of mouth is great for BvS. Seventy-one percent of Thursday’s crowd gave BvS an excellent or very good grade. Even better news for Warner Bros. after those reviews: 60% of the audience said they would definitely recommend BvS to their friends while 33% said they’ll probably tell them about it. Older males were out in force (no surprise) at 69% guys, 57% over 25. Fifty-one percent saw it in 3D. Twenty-five percent said BvS exceeded their expectations while 60% said the film met their expectations.

Also, it made 27.7M yesterday. A new Thursday record, beating Furious 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Thanks, but I'll wait for the DVD. Why spend $70 to take the family to see this at the movies when we can wait a month or two and spend $20 on the DVD and watch it as often as we want?

There are very movies these days for which I'm willing to fork up the cash to see on the big screen. This is certainly not one of them.

Let me ask you a question.

Did you plunk down for The Force Awakens? That movie's just a big-budget slice of fan-fic. Nice visuals, nice photography and effects, but its story was meh.

BvS is a movie that takes its source material seriously.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It's rating around a 7/10 with general movie-goers.
But that's not an accurate number. Like I pointed out in my review a few pages back, a huge number of the 5-star reviews are completely incredulous. Many of them are from people who hadn't yet seen the movie("5 stars, It's gonna be great!!!"), even more of them are just insults toward critics("5 stars, the critics are f***ots"), and the majority of them are from dimwits who couldn't rub two brain cells together(atrocious grammar, no sentence structure or punctuation). The fanboys were just giving it 5 stars out of spite and loyalty.

Quote:
Did you plunk down for The Force Awakens? That movie's just a big-budget slice of fan-fic. Nice visuals, nice photography and effects, but its story was meh.
It doesn't take it's source material seriously at all. Taking itself too seriously does not equate to taking the source material seriously. Snyder doesn't even understand these characters. His Superman is less than super, and his Batman is a gun-toting murderer. You can't have a Superman that's apprehensive about saving people's lives after being raised by Kents who tell him he has to put himself before everyone else. You can't have a Batman that likes guns and killing. You can't have a Lex Luthor that's a cackling, illogical fool. You can't have a Doomsday that's just giant(literally GIANT) chump. It's completely wrong.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
But that's not an accurate number. Like I pointed out in my review a few pages back, a huge number of the 5-star reviews are completely incredulous. Many of them are from people who hadn't yet seen the movie("5 stars, It's gonna be great!!!"), even more of them are just insults toward critics("5 stars, the critics are f***ots"), and the majority of them are from dimwits who couldn't rub two brain cells together(atrocious grammar, no sentence structure or punctuation). The fanboys were just giving it 5 stars out of spite and loyalty.

I'm not talking about people giving it 5-star reviews. I'm talking about people who liked it, period. And that's what the quoted text is saying: "excellent" or "very good." The latter does not translate to "five stars," does it?

Look, I know you don't like the movie. My intention is not to get into a pissing match with you. But everyone should watch it and decide for themselves. It needs to be seen on a very large screen.

Also, how about some spoiler tags, bro? I won't quote your second paragraph so that you may edit it. There are reasons Doomsday is the way he is in the movie.

And you're going to start about Batman killing? I wish that would just go away. Tim Burton's Batman killed, too. When explosions happen, people croak. Batman drove a ginormous Bat-tank in The Dark Knight Returns. It wasn't designed to trim hedges. It's long history.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Big box office last night.

I think this will be a case where this movie makes a lot of money during weekend but not record breaking numbers.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:12 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:
And you're going to start about Batman killing? I wish that would just go away. Tim Burton's Batman killed, too. When explosions happen, people croak. Batman drove a ginormous Bat-tank in The Dark Knight Returns. It wasn't designed to trim hedges. It's long history.
When did Burton's Batman kill anyone? When did Nolan's Batmobile kill anyone? Snyder's Batman throws people off 40-story rooftops, breaks their necks, and blows them up with explosives. You can literally hear people dying in the fiery explosions and long falls. The only redeeming thing about this Batman is Affleck.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:

Did you plunk down for The Force Awakens?
I did, but I have different expectations for Star Wars than I do for Batman and Superman. And more affection, to be honest. I've been a STAR WARS nerd since I was a little kid. I love many Batman comics and have enjoyed various iterations of the animated movies and TV shows, but I have never fallen in love with any of the DC movies.

Quote:
But Zack Snyder taking source material seriously as a filmmaker is like Pee Wee Herman taking his music seriously as an opera singer. Not something I'm too keen to praise or support with my $$$.

When WB/DC announces they have parted ways with Zack Snyder and hired someone with decent story sense to spearhead their movies, it will grab my attention real quick. Until then, I'll go back to counting the days till FARGO Season 3 premieres.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:32 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
And you're going to start about Batman killing? I wish that would just go away. Tim Burton's Batman killed, too.
A.) No, he didn't.

B.) I don't like Tim Burton's Batman either. Tim Burton needs to grow up and realize that not every day is Halloween.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post

It doesn't take it's source material seriously at all. Taking itself too seriously does not equate to taking the source material seriously. Snyder doesn't even understand these characters. His Superman is less than super, and his Batman is a gun-toting murderer. You can't have a Superman that's apprehensive about saving people's lives after being raised by Kents who tell him he has to put himself before everyone else. You can't have a Batman that likes guns and killing. You can't have a Lex Luthor that's a cackling, illogical fool. You can't have a Doomsday that's just giant(literally GIANT) chump. It's completely wrong.
OMG another freaking comic book purist. Really, it's a *MOVIE* not the origin of the universe. The movie was GREAT. The production value was GREAT. Even Ben did a good job of portraying an aged Bruce Wayne. Jesse Eisenberg as an unconventional Lex was awesome. If you don't like it, fine, but you go on a frothing tirade because people don't see it exactly like you. I swear, we've raised an entire generation of people who can't stand when everyone doesn't see it their way.

Synder did a good job of taking the new narrative reboots from the comics to the big screen (the whole idea that the daily planet and other newspaper companies being irrelevant in a social media society).

Lighten up..

Old 03-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,134 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about people giving it 5-star reviews. I'm talking about people who liked it, period. And that's what the quoted text is saying: "excellent" or "very good." The latter does not translate to "five stars," does it?

Look, I know you don't like the movie. My intention is not to get into a pissing match with you. But everyone should watch it and decide for themselves. It needs to be seen on a very large screen.

Also, how about some spoiler tags, bro? I won't quote your second paragraph so that you may edit it. There are reasons Doomsday is the way he is in the movie.

These people live to p*ss in everyone's milk "just because". I genuinely believe this is the "achievement awards" generation - they're always right, not to be challenged and can't stand an opinion that slightly different than their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies