Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

I don't know seems like your run of the mill superhero movie. With a lot of emoting and heavy handedness, as well as, surprise, fight scenes that take place in, through, and out of skyscrapers and buildings as panicked civilians run amok.

Heard there wasn't that much fighting either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Yea I mean im an old guy (36)

I'm older then you are. I'm the type of person though who wants to see the storyline pulled from the comics as much as possible. I ask too much it seems.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Just got back from seeing it. No bueno. At best it's a 2/5 movie. The story is a mess, the editing is atrocious, the dialog is childish, a lot of the acting ranged from meh to terrible, and the big fight that the movie is named after is a major letdown.

Spoiler
It takes itself entirely too seriously. I don't think anyone but Lex Luthor ever cracks a smile. It's grimdark in that teenage angst sort of way.
The story is really amateurish. Plotlines are introduced and then immediately dropped without explanation.
The editing is jarringly bad, sometimes rife with continuity errors. Lex Luthor apparently has a time-traveling clone, or else he changes outfits just to change back into his old clothes 5 minutes later for no reason. The jump cuts are frequent and disorienting. The fights are too dark and muddy. The audio is frequently washed out by the oppressive score.
Batman is constantly having dream sequences(5 or 6 by my count, including a dream within a dream) that may or may not be visions of the future, and of course show you his parents getting killed for the millionth time(though this is probably the goofiest instance ever on film).
Batman kills a bunch of people and even dreams about shooting people to death.
Superman has no real role in this movie.
Batman is a terrible detective but Superman finds out Batman's identity in 10 seconds flats, whereas Superman has to tell Batman who he is.
Wonder Woman is mostly just a sequel-baiting device, finding secret videos of Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg and showing up at the end in costume to fight Doomsday, but not really do much in the fight. She has maybe 3 lines of dialog, all with Bruce, and that's it. Gal Gadot never really gets to do any acting so I can't even say if she's good or not. She does kind of mumble a bit, but I blame that on the poor audio mixing and her accent.
The actual fight between Batman and Superman is 6 or 7 minutes long and completely uninteresting. Superman fights like a complete idiot, going so far as to fly right into a Kryptonite-gas bomb mere seconds after recovering from inhaling the gas from the last one. Batman kind of just screws around a lot before almost landing the killing blow on Superman with a Kryptonite spear when he hears Superman mutter... "Martha..." and then suddenly the conflict is resolved because both of their mothers are named Martha. Seriously. Batman does a 180 on Superman and the threat he poses because his mom is also named Martha.
Lex Luthor is horrendous. This is without a doubt the worst version of Lex Luthor ever. He's annoying, over the top, and his motivations make no sense. At first he has Batman's concerns about a God-like alien having the power to wipe out humanity. But then he creates Doomsday(from Zod's body, by smearing his own blood on the corpse and then sliding it into a chamber on Zod's mostly-wrecked ship. How did the recover the body and ship without anyone noticing? Why did the ship make a monster like this? Uhhhh...), an uncontrollable monster that's even more powerful than Superman, for the purpose of killing Superman and somehow drawing Darkseid to Earth. Why does Lex Luthor want Darkseid to come to Earth? No explanation given. Oh, and he also says "DING!" over and over for about a minute. "The bell has been rung! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!"
Doomsday and Superman kill each other via impalement(Superman impaling Doomsday with Batman's spear, Doomsday impaling Superman with with a long mess of spiked on his hand). Then come funerals with bagpipes being played by dudes in full-on Scottish regalia. Kilt, golf hat, long socks, the whole nine. Several people in the audience laughed out loud at Superman's funeral. Aaaaand, the movie ends with the dirt on top of Superman's coffin starting to vibrate/move around.

Amateurish is really the best way to describe this movie. It's overstuffed and still somehow boring. The studio very clearly forced too much sequel-bait into it and Snyder could not work around it properly. The people in charge are just bad at their jobs. Snyder doesn't understand any of these characters or why people like superheroes, and the people running the studio are clearly morons who put the cart before the horse in a transparent attempt to compete with The Avengers instead of just making good superhero movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It would not surprise me in the least if the upcoming INFINITY WAR storyline ends with a Marvel cinematic universe reboot.
That makes no sense. Marvel's movies are still making tons of money and they're introducing a new swath of heroes over the next few years.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:34 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,988 times
Who cast a British guy as Superman? Was an Indian guy cast as Robin, Boy Wonder?

Ridiculous.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Who cast a British guy as Superman? Was an Indian guy cast as Robin, Boy Wonder?

Ridiculous.
That's your complaint? That a Brit is playing a space alien?

Old 03-24-2016, 04:47 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That's your complaint? That a Brit is playing a space alien?
Yes. It is. Superman grew up in America, not Great Britain.

You don't see Americans being cast as James Bond, do you?

No, but we have to have a British Superman.

Won't be watching it or paying for it.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:58 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post

That makes no sense. Marvel's movies are still making tons of money and they're introducing a new swath of heroes over the next few years.
I have often seen the prejudice that Marvels B team is the draw, like we have been watching various Supermen since the 40s. I think Robert Downey Jr . and Chris Evans are the draw and it is just casting the second or third waves of heroes right that will be the near future of the MCU.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Yes. It is. Superman grew up in America, not Great Britain.

You don't see Americans being cast as James Bond, do you?

No, but we have to have a British Superman.

Won't be watching it or paying for it.
Just a heads up, Superman didn't grow up anywhere. He's not real. He's not American or British, he's just a fictional character for children.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I have often seen the prejudice that Marvels B team is the draw, like we have been watching various Supermen since the 40s. I think Robert Downey Jr . and Chris Evans are the draw and it is just casting the second or third waves of heroes right that will be the near future of the MCU.
As much as I like Evans, name another hit he has been apart of since Fantastic Four... I got it, you can't despite several great performances. By comparison, RDJ has had a few hits and a few misses since becoming Stark. Henry Caville has really only been in Man of Steel for a "successful film." Man from. U.N.C.L.E. sizzled and honestly wasn't that good. It was eaten alive by three great spy/espionage movies in Kingsman, Spy (not my personal cup of tea) and Rogue Nation.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
FYI, I am seeing it tomorrow at 5pm in IMAX. I have heard not so good things about it so it seems like another you either get what Synder wants you to or you don't. I did in Watchmen but neither Sucker Punch nor Man of Steel could do the same. I hope that I can see something different I. This film other than being "Iron Man 2" as one defender called it (referring to Avengers still being amazing.) The difference between The Avengers and Justice League however, is a different director with a different vision being brought in for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies