Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 02:12 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
OMG another freaking comic book purist. Really, it's a *MOVIE* not the origin of the universe. The movie was GREAT. The production value was GREAT. Even Ben did a good job of portraying an aged Bruce Wayne. Jesse Eisenberg as an unconventional Lex was awesome. If you don't like it, fine, but you go on a frothing tirade because people don't see it exactly like you. I swear, we've raised an entire generation of people who can't stand when everyone doesn't see it their way.

Synder did a good job of taking the new narrative reboots from the comics to the big screen (the whole idea that the daily planet and other newspaper companies being irrelevant in a social media society).

Lighten up..
Why don't you learn to read? I was responding to a statement about BvS taking the source material seriously. That is objectively false. It disregards the basics of the source material in favor of Snyder's patented "rule of cool" nonsense. Batman does not kill. Superman is not selfish. Lex Luthor is not illogical. Doomsday is not a 10-minute threat. These are all basic premises that are core to these characters. Getting these things wrong means getting the characters wrong. It has nothing to do being a purist and everything to do with good filmmaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 02:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm not talking about people giving it 5-star reviews. I'm talking about people who liked it, period. And that's what the quoted text is saying: "excellent" or "very good." The latter does not translate to "five stars," does it?

Look, I know you don't like the movie. My intention is not to get into a pissing match with you. But everyone should watch it and decide for themselves. It needs to be seen on a very large screen.

Also, how about some spoiler tags, bro? I won't quote your second paragraph so that you may edit it. There are reasons Doomsday is the way he is in the movie.

And you're going to start about Batman killing? I wish that would just go away. Tim Burton's Batman killed, too. When explosions happen, people croak. Batman drove a ginormous Bat-tank in The Dark Knight Returns. It wasn't designed to trim hedges. It's long history.
ToTo be fair, most of his criticism is in the trailers. Trailers aren't exactly spoilers...

Old 03-25-2016, 06:15 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
A.) No, he didn't.
Yes, he did.

Batman (1989) - FAQ

Quote:
Does Batman kill people in this film?

Yes and quite deliberately so. One of the unwritten rules of the Batman mythology is that whilst he is a vigilante he goes to great lengths to avoid killing and does not use firearms. In this film he uses both machine guns and lethal missiles and premedatively kills many of the Joker's henchmen by blowing up their chemical plant with bombs dropped from the Batmobile. It must be noted, though, that Batman did kill criminals in his early comic book appearances.
In those "early appearances," Batman actually carried a gun!

Quote:
B.) I don't like Tim Burton's Batman either. Tim Burton needs to grow up and realize that not every day is Halloween.
Definitely.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I did, but I have different expectations for Star Wars than I do for Batman and Superman. And more affection, to be honest. I've been a STAR WARS nerd since I was a little kid. I love many Batman comics and have enjoyed various iterations of the animated movies and TV shows, but I have never fallen in love with any of the DC movies.

I understand. I don't feel as strongly about Star Wars because I don't see them matching the grandeur of the original movies, and they seem intent on only trying to recycle those plotlines — the Empire must conquer all, who's the chosen one, every Jedi has a master, blah, blah, blah — not move away from them. I really hope the next movie takes some chances, but I won't hold my breath.

Quote:
But Zack Snyder taking source material seriously as a filmmaker is like Pee Wee Herman taking his music seriously as an opera singer. Not something I'm too keen to praise or support with my $$$.

That's funny, but that seems like an unfair assessment, especially considering what The Force Awakens turned out to be. Zack is doing the same thing Nolan did: adapting the stories, just not uber-literally. Otherwise, The Dark Knight Rises would've been called Knightfall, and another guy, maybe JGL's Robin John Blake, might've donned the cowl to battle Bane while Bruce was on a months-long recovery regimen. I was surprised, in a good way, to see the path BvS took.

Quote:
When WB/DC announces they have parted ways with Zack Snyder and hired someone with decent story sense to spearhead their movies, it will grab my attention real quick. Until then, I'll go back to counting the days till FARGO Season 3 premieres.

Check out Hap & Leonard. You may like it.

DC Movie News discusses BvS. Good stuff. [SPOILER-heavy, too.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kp6...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by AFtrEFkt; 03-25-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Yes, he did.
In those "early appearances," Batman actually carried a gun!
And Superman was just a guy who could hop really high and lift heavy stuff. Clearly Snyder was not taking inspiration the very early days of these characters.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:51 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Looks promising for weekend box office

Forbes Welcome

Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
I saw it, just got home and I LOVED it. It was not the throw **** against the wall and trick the audience movie that many thought it would be. Man, I should eat crow on this one. That said, still not my favorite comic book adaptation movie, that is STILL Winter Soldier but this is close to that. Never thought a superman movie would do that...

Old 03-26-2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I saw it, just got home and I LOVED it. It was not the throw **** against the wall and trick the audience movie that many thought it would be. Man, I should eat crow on this one. That said, still not my favorite comic book adaptation movie, that is STILL Winter Soldier but this is close to that. Never thought a superman movie would do that...
High five, boss! Toldja! No dining on crow necessary. Just glad you liked it.

The Bat-action was set to "Insane," huh?

Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Still waiting to see it again no hurry here. Might take the wife's kids to see it they are coming down for spring break. If I miss it in the theaters I'll catch it on DVD. For the person who said that the only thing good about it was Ben Affleck was him being Batman I feel sorry for you.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:10 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S.
I am hopeful but not optimistic. Nothing about this trailer changed my mind. I have yet to see anything from Zack Snyder that didn't turn into an extended video game.
Especially these days when almost NOTHING GOOD is made!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies