Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Watching Nolan's fight scenes, I always find myself thinking, "Wait. What just happened? How did he do that? Where did that guy---? Wait. What just happened? I have no idea what's going on other than people are punching."

No scene in a movie should ever leave the audience confused. If it does, the director screwed up.

Which is why some didn't like the fight scenes I happen to love them, but I do understand where your coming from too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 09:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
"No good movie is too long. No bad movie is short enough." --- Roger Ebert
Except when you make a long movie too short which I hear is a bit of the problem with BvS and a fear I've had with it.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Having come from the streets & have taken 10 years of martial arts. I find it very real. A ballet is watching someone like jump thought the air doing said about flips & taking out 50 people at once.

There is no ballet choreography in BvS. No "wire-fu" like in Iron Monkey, Once Upon a Time in China and a zillion other movies, either. This Batman is extremely methodical. He is more agile than any other Batman. There's no "wide shot" to give Batman a running start so he can execute a graceful roundhouse kick. There is none of that nonsense. This isn't a Tim Burton film.

Quote:
Nolan's version didn't do that at all but that's what most people want. There is nothing pretty about a fight. His fights were very close quarters, even more so fighting more then one person at a time. Show me a real fight that isn't confusing, I didn't any of that tip-tap stuff in Nolan's version of Batman. You go into a real fight & try a round house kick on someone & they will drop you...

I liked the Hong Kong capture in The Dark Knight. That was staged in an office high rise, and seeing Batman fly-crash into a room full of thugs and use shadow and skill to nab his prey was good stuff.

I did like the initial fight between Batman and Bane because it wasn't a one-note slugfest. However, their later encounter pretty much is, and all the extras "fighting" in the background are noticeably going through the motions. You can see multiple pairs of guys standing there, swinging, but nobody falls down. I'm still surprised Nolan was fine with that considering he's so meticulous.

Quote:
I don't see how Nolan's version wasn't realistic but again people seeing these types of movies want to something close to "taekwondo because it's fun to watch but not very realistic at all. That can be consider ballet fighting which I didn't see Batman OR Bane doing.

Batman's a martial artist but he's never been known as a guy who singularly relies on any one style in the comics. That said, you've nothing to worry about.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Batman's a martial artist but he's never been known as a guy who singularly relies on any one style in the comics.
True. But real martial arts and movie martial arts are two very different things.

I love me a good kung fu movie. Loads of fun. But they aren't even a little bit realistic, nor are they intended to be. Kung fu movies are really just ballet for guys.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=2fUWkced3Sg

I thought this was an interesting interview.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Except when you make a long movie too short which I hear is a bit of the problem with BvS and a fear I've had with it.
Well, I haven't seen BvS, so I can't comment on that specifically. But if a long movie is "too short" then it is by definition no longer a good movie. The point is:

When a movie is good (or better yet, great) you don't want it to end. But a bad movie? It isn't over quick enough.

I gather that most of the complaints about BvS is that Snyder (in typical Snyder fashion) tried to force way too much into one movie, and since he only really loves fight scenes and posing, it left very little room for character development. One movie critic put it pretty well:

"Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe has its flaws, but they did one thing right: They built their universe slowly, establishing the characters one at a time, before bringing them together in The Avengers. Batman v Superman is a case study in the perils of trying to do too much too quickly." Read more: SDG Reviews ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ | Daily News | NCRegister.com

Old 03-25-2016, 10:37 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
I gather that most of the complaints about BvS is that Snyder (in typical Snyder fashion) tried to force way too much into one movie, and since he only really loves fight scenes and posing, it left very little room for character development.
I think you should go see the movie. It is NOT 153 minutes of non-stop explosions, melees and Lex giggling (in fact, Lex is quite the vile bastard).

The final battle far outdoes Superman vs. Zod in Man of Steel.

Believe it or not, BvS is a slow burn. It does take its time. You get to know the DCEU Batman without re-introducing him in a solo movie. It unfolds like a crescendo.

And, as I said, this film has some of the best action choreography I've seen in a comic book movie!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
The audience ratings are dropping like a rock now that the biggest fanboys have already rated it. This might flop pretty hard considering the gigantic budget.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The audience ratings are dropping like a rock now that the biggest fanboys have already rated it. This might flop pretty hard considering the gigantic budget.
Hard to flop, school is out for many. It should have a huge Friday morning

Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I think you should go see the movie.
Thanks, but I'll wait for the DVD. Why spend $70 to take the family to see this at the movies when we can wait a month or two and spend $20 on the DVD and watch it as often as we want?

There are very movies these days for which I'm willing to fork up the cash to see on the big screen. This is certainly not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies