Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 01:09 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

I was surprised they released it so early next week.

It's come to the point there really aren't any long off seasons for big movie releases.

It's said this movie will need to gross over a billion dollars just to see some profit.

I don't know what the hype/anticipation level is but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 01:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I was surprised they released it so early next week.
You mean the promo screenings on Tuesday? Nothing new. They did it for the Hobbit movies and many others.

Quote:
It's come to the point there really aren't any long off seasons for big movie releases.
First truly big one of the year. Deadpool was a sleeper.

Quote:
It's said this movie will need to gross over a billion dollars just to see some profit.
That's an exaggerated figure. And a billion is a lock.

Quote:
I don't know what the hype/anticipation level is but we'll see.
Very high.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:21 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
The reviews are going to have to be stellar....along with a couple drinks....to watch a human fight Superman, the indestructible alien that can carry skyscrapers into outer space.

Another dash for cash.....increasingly common.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:48 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Some who've seen BvS say Wonder Woman steals the show. So unless you've seen the movie (and it seems as though you've not), it's best to reserve judgment.
Some who've seen Green Lantern think it was an awesome movie. Some people are quite stupid.

Quote:
Gal's a model, yes, but she's a relative newcomer to modeling. She plays the character Gisele in Fast Five (solid popcorn flick), Fast & Furious 6 (ditto, but not as good as Five) and Furious 7 (haven't seen it). She got the role of Gisele in '08 when she was a noob to acting (she had one other credit, plus commercials). It's not like she came from out of thin air in 2014 and landed the part of Diana.
She stands out as a bad actress in a film series with primarily bad acting. She made Paul Walker look like a great actor.

Quote:
You did write Zack "has a bad habit of casting models instead of talented actors."
Yes, and Mark somehow interpreted that to mean "Every actress in every Zack Snyder film, and even sequels to his films that he didn't even direct, is terrible." I never said that. I never even specified actresses. I said actors.

Quote:
Since all the actresses Mark mentioned weren't models, I guess that soundly quashes your criticism. Malin's acting was bad? Doesn't seem any worse than Liz Olsen's in Age of Ultron. I don't think Evangeline is going to get nominated for an Oscar for her participation in Ant-Man, either. (I like Liz and Evangeline, too, so don't go there.)
No, because that's completely dumb. And so is this completely irrelevant comparison of Malin Akerman to Elizabeth Olsen.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
The reviews are going to have to be stellar....along with a couple drinks....to watch a human fight Superman, the indestructible alien that can carry skyscrapers into outer space.

Another dash for cash.....increasingly common.
Uhhh, their fight is basically ripped right out of the comics. And they've fought in the comics numerous times. It's a pretty classic showdown. Superman always holds back because he's Superman, and Batman always has the upper hand because he's much cleverer than Superman and doesn't hold back. The big difference here is that the whole movie is hyped around this fight that will ultimately end in the two teaming up to fight a bad guy(bargain brand Doomsday) and then becoming friends.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
Batman should get touched up pretty nicely.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Some who've seen Green Lantern think it was an awesome movie. Some people are quite stupid.
I've never heard/read anyone say/write Green Lantern was "awesome." Change it to Superman Returns, at least, if you want an extreme example. Or even The Force Awakens, which is now one of the most overrated movies to hit theaters in the last 30 years.

Quote:
She stands out as a bad actress in a film series with primarily bad acting. She made Paul Walker look like a great actor.
[sarcasm] Yeah, she's no Kirsten Dunst. [/sarcasm]

Quote:
Yes, and Mark somehow interpreted that to mean "Every actress in every Zack Snyder film, and even sequels to his films that he didn't even direct, is terrible." I never said that. I never even specified actresses. I said actors.
Put down that goalpost. Actors can mean both actors and actresses now (you see actress used a lot less now). You said Zack has a "habit," right? Since you've adjusted the parameters of your agument, who else was previously a model? Gerard Butler? Ving Rhames?

Quote:
No, because that's completely dumb. And so is this completely irrelevant comparison of Malin Akerman to Elizabeth Olsen.
No, it wasn't. You said Malin's acting is bad. I said it isn't any "worse" than Lizzie's in AoU, or Godzilla, for that matter. They served their respective roles.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
They served their respective roles.
And oftentimes, the acting isn't the problem. The best acting in the world can't save bad writing.

Which is why I've always found a lot of the criticism directed at Jake Lloyd to be really cruel and unfounded. Just read some of the dialogue in The Phantom Menace. Laurence Olivier could not have squeezed blood out of those stones.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And oftentimes, the acting isn't the problem. The best acting in the world can't save bad writing.

Which is why I've always found a lot of the criticism directed at Jake Lloyd to be really cruel and unfounded. Just read some of the dialogue in The Phantom Menace. Laurence Olivier could not have squeezed blood out of those stones.
The actor(s) weren't the problem(s) with those movies. George Luca$ was. That said, any random scene from Watchmen is better than the entire Star Bores prequel trilogy.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I've never heard/read anyone say/write Green Lantern was "awesome." Change it to Superman Returns, at least, if you want an extreme example. Or even The Force Awakens, which is now one of the most overrated movies to hit theaters in the last 30 years.

Quote:
[sarcasm] Yeah, she's no Kirsten Dunst. [/sarcasm]
Kirsten Dunst is a great actor. Have you seen the Fargo series? She just didn't care to put in good performances in the Spider-Man series because those movies are hokey.

Quote:
Put down that goalpost. Actors can mean both actors and actresses now (you see actress used a lot less now).
You just proved my point. Mark misinterpreted what I said, and so did you, clearly.

Quote:
You said Zack has a "habit," right? Since you've adjusted the parameters of your agument, who else was previously a model? Gerard Butler? Ving Rhames?
So if someone has a crack habit, do they only consume crack? No food or water, just crack? Your argument is completely pointless and nonsensical.

Quote:
No, it wasn't. You said Malin's acting is bad. I said it isn't any "worse" than Lizzie's in AoU, or Godzilla, for that matter. They served their respective roles.
Who the hell was talking about Age of Ultron or Godzilla? You're trying to make this a Marvel vs DC argument for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies