Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, one of the characters did things that were actually done by Jack Crenshaw.
And where is your evidence on this. Because even your link showed the women in the movie doing they were depicted as doing, even isntge timeline differed or there were small liberties taken with some details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Hidden Figures would make a great companion piece with The Right Stuff. That is assuming you can watch that movie full of composite characters and timeliness compressed for dramatic purposes

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Hidden Figures would make a great companion piece with The Right Stuff. That is assuming you can watch that movie full of composite characters and timeliness compressed for dramatic purposes

Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And where is your evidence on this. Because even your link showed the women in the movie doing they were depicted as doing, even isntge timeline differed or there were small liberties taken with some details.
My evidence is in the historical record. Dr. Jack Crenshaw did the work that one of the women in the movie is credited with.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
My evidence is in the historical record. Dr. Jack Crenshaw did the work that one of the women in the movie is credited with.
Where is this historical record? Which work? So far I see no basis for your statement.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
All the work? Are you saying that one of the women actually did nothing she's credited with?

I suppose you're drawing your info from this website.

Unfortunately, that website doesn't say what the author thinks he says. You might also check this website specifically about Jack Crenshaw that was posted a year ago...and therefore the author didn't feel a sick need to denigrate this movie or these women. Or, heck, maybe you want to look at Jack Crenshaw's own website...where he says nothing about the Mercury program, or the Gemini program--only the Apollo program.

In both websites, it's clear that Jack Crenshaw never worked on the Mercury program or had anything to do with the near-earth calculations that were being done at Langley.

In fact, Crenshaw wasn't even at Langley. From 1959 through his entire employment with NASA he worked exclusively on earth-to-moon calculations for the Apollo moon flights.

The "free return" moon trajectory he developed found its movie debut in "Apollo 13"--that was the emergency flight those astronauts used to return to earth. I guess the real question is why Ron Howard didn't give Jack Crenshaw any credit, inasmuch as they actually mentioned his calculation.

He was working in an entirely different area doing an entirely different project and entirely different calculations. By the time his calculations were actually put into practice, they'd been long hashed out by computers thousands of times.

And just in case you don't realize it--near-earth and earth-to-moon calculations for completely different spacecraft don't have anything to do with one another--except for the fact that they both used Newtonian physics.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 01-13-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where is this historical record? Which work? So far I see no basis for your statement.
Well I see no basis for what was stated in the film, and doesn't the burden of proof lay with the affirmative?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
All the work? Are you saying that one of the women actually did nothing she's credited with?

I suppose you're drawing your info from this website.

Unfortunately, that website doesn't say what the author thinks he says. You might also check this website specifically about Jack Crenshaw that was posted a year ago...and therefore the author didn't feel a sick need to denigrate this movie or these women. Or, heck, maybe you want to look at Jack Crenshaw's own website...where he says nothing about the Mercury program, or the Gemini program--only the Apollo program.

In both websites, it's clear that Jack Crenshaw never worked on the Mercury program or had anything to do with the near-earth calculations that were being done at Langley.

In fact, Crenshaw wasn't even at Langley. From 1959 through his entire employment with NASA he worked exclusively on earth-to-moon calculations for the Apollo moon flights.

The "free return" moon trajectory he developed found its movie debut in "Apollo 13"--that was the emergency flight those astronauts used to return to earth. I guess the real question is why Ron Howard didn't give Jack Crenshaw any credit, inasmuch as they actually mentioned his calculation.

He was working in an entirely different area doing an entirely different project and entirely different calculations. By the time his calculations were actually put into practice, they'd been long hashed out by computers thousands of times.

And just in case you don't realize it--near-earth and earth-to-moon calculations for completely different spacecraft don't have anything to do with one another--except for the fact that they both used Newtonian physics.
I'm drawing my info from more than one source. However, I'm going to drop the matter since this is getting far more political than I intended and Yac has expressed that this is not the appropriate forum for such matters. I simply wanted to caution people that this is a fictional film, lest somebody believe that they're seeing a film that makes a wholehearted attempt to depict what actually happened.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:36 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
^
"I know, I know he probably believes that"

Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,820 times
Quote:
I'm drawing my info from more than one source. However, I'm going to drop the matter since this is getting far more political than I intended and Yac has expressed that this is not the appropriate forum for such matters. I simply wanted to caution people that this is a fictional film, lest somebody believe that they're seeing a film that makes a wholehearted attempt to depict what actually happened.

Lets focus on looking at what sounds like a very interesting movie, assuming we are ready so accept some historical variance. I for one, never realized that this story existed and am looking forward to seeing it in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies