Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Saw "Hidden Figures" this evening--and all showings were sold out at several theaters in our area.

We enjoyed it a lot--very uplifting. I can remember in 1961 that our teachers at George Washington Carver Elementary got more advanced math books from the library and burned the mimeograph machine out to give us materials we'd never have gotten from the hand-me-down books the town gave us. Some of that kind of thinking was evident among the "colored computers" in this movie.

My understanding is that the characterization of John Glenn's attitude toward the "colored computers" was accurate--he was said to have had the attitude of "They must be smart or they wouldn't be here, so I'm fine with them."

My only criticism of the direction was too much verbal exposition--the most brilliant orbital mathematicians in the nation giving each other 3rd grade explanations of things they knew in the 2nd grade. But other than that, it was good to watch.

I don't think they blew anything up, though.

No, wait, they did--they had record footage of a lot of the early failed NASA launch attempts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I saw it tonight too, and our theater was sold out.

This is not my kind of movie and I generally avoid these type like the plague, but I gave into peer pressure.

I found it entertaining, and I think it did a great job of humanizing Jim Crow rule and offering multi-dimensional characters.

i am sure they took some liberties, but it seems reasonably accurate.

Love the 60s fashions!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I saw it tonight too, and our theater was sold out.

This is not my kind of movie and I generally avoid these type like the plague, but I gave into peer pressure.

I found it entertaining, and I think it did a great job of humanizing Jim Crow rule and offering multi-dimensional characters.

i am sure they took some liberties, but it seems reasonably accurate.

Love the 60s fashions!
Yes, it wasn't as though every white person was running around in a white hood all the time. I think they got that just about right for the main of middle-class blacks. There were black people on the streets--you saw the protests, you heard about the Freedom Riders. And there was the constant digging into the soul at low level--like not having a restroom within a hundred yards.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. What amazing minds -- math is a mystery to me, so hats off to anyone who can make sense of it -- and amazing women.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:53 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Alas, I can't go see it this weekend, but I'm planning to hit the theater Tuesday evening! I've been looking forward to this film since seeing the first previews; I'm glad to hear it it is indeed as good as the preview made it look.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
I can't wait to see it. I couldn't get out because of the weather, but I am planning to see it with my son next weekend.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, it wasn't as though every white person was running around in a white hood all the time. I think they got that just about right for the main of middle-class blacks. There were black people on the streets--you saw the protests, you heard about the Freedom Riders. And there was the constant digging into the soul at low level--like not having a restroom within a hundred yards.
And the scene in the library (and the aftermath) did such an excellent job of demonstrating how ridiculously petty the whole thing was.

The other thing I forgot to say. I think this movie should be required viewing for all 4th to 7th graders. This is the age when you start thinking math is boring and pointless and where the foundational skills for advance math are built.

I was a good math student, but didn't see anything cool or any benefits of doing advanced study. Seeing how math sends people to space is an excellent way to make math practical and interesting. That's what is missing in our math education these days.

I think my parents are about your age Ralph, and l we have talked a bit about how they felt like getting involved in the Civil Rights Movement. My dad was in the Army in the late 60s (stationed in England) and came back feeling quite disheartened with America after tasting freedom and and better treatment. He came back feeling like he was good enough to die for America, but not good enough for basic rights. He ended up debating a lot on joining the Black Panthers, and ended up not.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Was Ed Dwight portrayed or mentioned in this film?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Was Ed Dwight portrayed or mentioned in this film?
Dwight never made any space flights, so his life would not have come into contact with these women. He would never even have been at the same facility.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 AM

I thought it interesting that the film portrayed--accurately--how incredibly invested everyone was in the space program in those years.

This was shown in the first scene when the three women ran into the white policeman. It was shown by the black people in rapt attention to the news (good or bad) about space launches as the white people.

Young folk today just don't understand. Back in those days, astronauts were absolute superstars at a level not seen today for anyone. Nobody today is anywhere near the superstar level of an astronaut of the 60s.

When an astronaut came to your city, the whole city stopped everything. Stores closed and there was a parade. He got the keys to the city, a new car, and probably a lot of hotel rooms. And they were pretty much as big a deal for black people as for whites at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies