Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM

307 posts, read 363,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just saw this, not too bad, some intense sequences and great acting throughout. Visual effects were superb (except for the organism).

Spoiler
That ending though, good god, mind blown!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuA-xqBw4jE
[spoiler alert]
So you understood the ending?? Explain to me pls. I've seen the movie twice but don't get how the guy was supposed to be blowing into deep space but was the one that ended up falling back to earth.

As far as the overall experience of the movie. I saw it on Sunday but I'm still recovering from the chills. personally that creature makes Alien look like a church rat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:31 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,321,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
So you understood the ending?? Explain to me pls.
Spoiler
I've seen the movie twice but don't get how the guy was supposed to be blowing into deep space but was the one that ended up falling back to earth.

As far as the overall experience of the movie. I saw it on Sunday but I'm still recovering from the chills. personally that creature makes Alien look like a church rat.
Spoiler
Didn't the escape pods get hit by some space debris...some of the solar array that had been smashed? I'd have to see it again, but I thought the pods got hit and that's what messed up each one's direction.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asen85 View Post
It was horrible. Huge plot holes, poor overall execution.Nice theatrical experience though
Saw it tonight with my SO. There were 5 other people in the theater when the movie started. By the time the credits roled, we were the only two people left. I cannot remember the last movie I saw where that many people left before the movie was over.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
For me, it was a yawner. I stuck it through to the end, and for what it was, they did a decent job. However, having seen "The Thing" and "Alien" and knowing how plot devices work, I was more interested in how the music was being used to invoke emotion than I was with the plot. As usual, the science was complete BS.

I was struck that the name of the organism was chosen to be Calvin. Most might think of Calvin and Hobbs, but Calvin was a religious figure.

As for the metaphorical aspects of the movie, a few Jungians might understand me, but a black cripple being the weakness and the white male who wanted to remain in heaven (space) being the suffering hero who failed through no fault of his own gets a bit obvious, even without the screaming female ejected into the universe.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:41 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,890,198 times
I loved it. Except the end sucked. Calvin was scary

Old 03-30-2017, 09:42 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times
I just can't see Ryan Reynolds as an astronaut.

That's kind of like expecting me to believe Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 25,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I just can't see Ryan Reynolds as an astronaut.

That's kind of like expecting me to believe Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.
IMO, there was zero character development, so the roles could have been played by anyone. At first, I thought the casting was odd, then I realized that the actors were just trapped in a bad script.

All that being said, the film was okay. As someone else said, it was a good theatrical experience, and it fit my "I don't want to have to think too hard right now" frame of mind that I was in at the time.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM

866 posts, read 631,260 times
It was a very intense and well make film but the ending was so funny that I almost hurt myself laughing. Not ot spoil it for others but the ending could have been written by cartoonist, Gary Larson. I recommend this film for anyone who likes both drama and a humorous surprise.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,803,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It pays homage to Alien, yes, but a lot of movies are derivative of other movies. (rarely is anything truly original) Alien and Aliens are two of my favorite sci-fi/horror/action movies of all time. I went in knowing this would likely be very similar in tone, story, suspense, music, characters, etc., and I still enjoyed it a great deal. There were a lot of really intense moments. That creature, man. Wow. The VFX, music and acting were superb, as expected. It was a lot of fun.
Alien/Aliens are my favorite movies as well, and the reason I couldn't get excited about this one was because the "monster" doesn't look threatening to me. And why would you ever touch it, even if what it amounts to what looks like some rock candy or an unpainted Shrinky Dink to me.

I suppose I will get around to watching it though.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 PM

586 posts, read 556,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asen85 View Post
It was horrible. Huge plot holes, poor overall execution.Nice theatrical experience though
Yeah, the oxygen plot hole seemed really inconsistent. It either works or doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies