Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, but I thought Johnny was not in the right position to consider her a hypocrite for not being able to stand up to her father, when he can't even stand up for himself to him, unless I am wrong?
She was lecturing him about standing up for himself. Not to the father, that is not what her goal is, she is talking about to his employers. To the world.

So he says 'what about you? I don't see you doing that'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 02:40 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Oh I was talking about the scene when he confronted her about not telling her father about them though.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Oh I was talking about the scene when he confronted her about not telling her father about them though.
So am I.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Johnny has some pride. Remember he was pissed off when Baby assumed that in the beginning. She had no malice. She just thought they seemed like a couple. But as low as he thinks of himself, he is outraged that she thinks he would get a woman pregnant and not do the right thing (which at that time would have been to marry her and take a job with the painting union).

He is outraged again when the father thinks that. He grits his teeth and says 'yeah, you would think that wouldn't you'. He doesn't care about trying to correct him. His response is like well **** you too.
Okay but this is what I don't get about Johnny. He is outraged about what people think of him but at the same time, he is not willing to do anything about it. I just don't get the inconsistency and and it comes off as contradictory in his character.

So if he doesn't care to do anything about his outrage, how are we the audience, suppose to care about his outrage?

Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Okay but this is what I don't get about Johnny. He is outraged about what people think of him but at the same time, he is not willing to do anything about it. I just don't get the inconsistency and and it comes off as contradictory in his character.

So if he doesn't care to do anything about his outrage, how are we the audience, suppose to care about his outrage?
What can he do about it? Don't say tell the Dad it wasn't him. He didn't even know the Dad thought that and it isn't the point.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:

I don't really care much about his outrage, where did you get that was essential? Do you just like to argue? Are these threads trolling?

Old 09-03-2018, 02:53 AM

No I don't mean to troll, I was seriously wondering, why this movie is considered to be such a masterpiece to so many.

Oh okay so you are saying that he is outraged at her for thinking that, and not the Dad then.

Okay so you are saying that the movie is more importantly about Baby and her Dad healing right? However, Johnny is credited as the second main character in the movie, and as a very main character, I feel that his story and character, does play some weight on how I evaluate the movie, especially since he is in a lot of it.

Wouldn't that be fair of me to evaluate a good portion of the movie based on that?

Old 09-03-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
No I don't mean to troll, I was seriously wondering, why this movie is considered to be such a masterpiece to so many.
Because we liked it. The end. What people like and don't like is subjective. You said you wanted to understand one crucial part, I have done my best to explain it to you, but it doesn't matter because you just. didn't. like. it.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 AM

Okay thank you very trying your best to explain it. I think the route cause of the problems for me was that I just didn't buy Johnny not understandind what Jake meant. It's cause Jake asked who was responsible for her, while standing over a botched abortion.

It was just too obvious when standing over a botched abortion, and there was no chance of mistaking I feel. Or if Johnny would mistake that in the moment, it wouldn't take him to be a genius to figure out what he meant a few moments later.

I guess I just didn't buy it. If Johnny didn't know about the pregnancy and abortion at all, and Jake came along and asked Penny's friends, who is responsible for her, and he didn't know anything about it, and said he was, then I would buy into it a lot better.

But I guess I just had trouble buying it, and the rest of the plot from then on, is infected from the route, as a result.

Last edited by ironpony; 09-03-2018 at 03:20 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 03:19 AM

You misunderstand the entire movie. You insist that the disapproval comes from a source that it doesn't. You are stuck on your misinterpretation of events.

That doesn't even happen until halfway through the movie. Why do you think that Baby hides him from her father before that point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies