Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 05:37 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,758,184 times

Advertisements

Doctor Sleep movie was great. Plenty of scenes that makes you feel like your watching a sequel to the original movie.

The evil music score is throughout the entire movie.

The editing from one scene to the next is masterfully done.

This is one movie you need to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 05:51 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,818,588 times
This movie only made $14.1 million over the weekend, way below expectations.

Still want to see it though.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM

1,045 posts, read 764,488 times
Doctor Sleep was not one of his better novels. That True Knot crew was...I can't put my finger on it, but I did not care for them as antagonists. I didn't like his novel The Shining at all, nor the TV movie made from it. I recently read The Outsider, a much better novel IMHO. I know a movie will be adapted from it shortly.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 764,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Is Stephen going to financial difficulties? There are so many of his novels that have been turned into movies or TV series!
No, he's just greedy.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:00 PM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This movie only made $14.1 million over the weekend, way below expectations.
Yeah, it is losing the #1 box office slot to the latest Roland Emmerich dreck.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,302,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Doctor Sleep was not one of his better novels. That True Knot crew was...I can't put my finger on it, but I did not care for them as antagonists. I didn't like his novel The Shining at all, nor the TV movie made from it. I recently read The Outsider a much better novel IMHO. I know a movie will be adapted from it shortly.
The title itself is catchy enough, sounds like some good horror to expect.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:21 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
The title itself is catchy enough, sounds like some good horror to expect.
I tried reading it. Never could get into it. Definitely a good story in there, but the book seemed to be about three times longer than necessary. The editor on that one needed more red ink.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 AM

3,707 posts, read 2,442,736 times
Just saw it.

Spoilers perhaps below, so do NOT read this post if you
Haven't seen it and plan to.

Just MO,

Good:

Creepy scenes that were effective.

Most sound score / sound background

Casting.

Acting by all.

Less than great:

The "heartbeat" sound was used too
Often, making it less effective.

Dialogue near the end with Rose the Hat
Was not convincing (IMO).

Length of 2 1/2 hours, but I do understand that
The plot probably needed that.

Still glad I saw it.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:01 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,818,588 times
Just saw it, an incredible movie going experience for me.

I went in not knowing anything about the movie except for the Danny character and his ties to the original Shining. I kind of guessed what was going on and who those people were.

I was blown away by how engrossing this movie was, loved how it all tied in to the original movie at the ending. There were some amazing sequences, and Kyliegh Curran was fabulous in her acting debut.

Unfortunately the box office for this movie has underwhelmed both domestically and internationally, squabbling any ideas of a sequel which was supposedly being planned.

It looks like the movie actually improved on the book:

How the Doctor Sleep Movie Changed Stephen King's Book to Match Kubrick's The Shining

Quote:
Writer and director Mike Flanagan had a tough needle to thread with his new movie, Doctor Sleep. The film is an adaptation of Stephen King’s 2013 novel, which is itself a sequel to his 1977 classic The Shining. And in 1980 Stanley Kubrick famously used the book as the basis for one of the best horror films of all time. But The Shining the book and The Shining the movie are two very different creatures—which is why King famously hates the film adaptation. In order to honor his literary source material while still allowing the Doctor Sleep movie to fit into the world established by Kubrick’s Shining, Flanagan had to make some changes.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:56 AM

3,707 posts, read 2,442,736 times
Thanks, SG.

I read it the article in your link.

I've seen "The Shining" 8-9 times since it
Came out and some scenes still give
Me the shivers.

Curious to read the book now.... May I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies