Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,990,964 times

Advertisements

If you did not see the Shining it would help to understand Danny's plight. I enjoyed the movie immensely, quite an escape and that is how I judge a movie. Did it bring you away from your current troubles for a couple of hours and not have you look at your watch? This is one of the rare films that did it for me.

Go see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 07:47 AM

24,465 posts, read 23,159,001 times
King is way past it creatively and is little more than a hack at this point. I'd have liked to have seen a story based more on the Overlook Hotel ( the 1980 adaptation) as it is today. As a lead up prequel to a final encounter with Danny. Have a camera and production crew do a mini series on the haunting of the place which is no longer hushed up but advertised as a haunted attraction to draw visitors. Danny angrily resents the intrusion and refuses to be interviewed but they draw him in. Then have it turn out that a cult of billionaires is secretly running the place like a Bohemian Grove Style winter retreat with child sacrifices which is making the place grow in power and it has to be stopped. Maybe that would be a little too close to home for King but its still a good story outline. Gypsy psychic vampires? meh.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:36 PM

10,222 posts, read 7,633,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I missed it, darn it. I kept putting off going to see it, and it ended up not staying long, so was gone by the time I was going to go see it.

I'll have to wait for the DVD or stream.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:01 PM

3,707 posts, read 2,441,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
King is way past it creatively and is little more than a hack at this point.
I've read 8-9-10 of his older works 25+ years ago.

I don't really hear much of his new works much (but again I'm not following closely).

His stories have lost the flavor and creativity?

I wouldn't be surprised because he's so prolific.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:14 AM

22,958 posts, read 28,390,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
His stories have lost the flavor and creativity?
No. As always, his output is hit and miss. But DOCTOR SLEEP was a good book. 11/22/63 was a great book. THE OUTSIDER ... meh.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:05 AM

29,536 posts, read 22,813,842 times
I'm not a huge fan of reading fiction books especially huge ones so can't compare.

But in reading the summary of the book as it compares to the movie, the movie definitely improved on the book.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:21 AM

22,958 posts, read 28,390,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
But in reading the summary of the book as it compares to the movie, the movie definitely improved on the book.
I disagree. As much as I enjoyed the movie, it had some pretty serious third act problems that the book did not have.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:19 AM

6,411 posts, read 5,540,063 times
Watched this movie last night. Really liked the overall plot/story continuation and most of the scenes had just the right amount of tense horror drama...

The scene with the baseball kid though. Too far. Could have done without that part.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:14 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,329,163 times
I don't know, I really liked most of the actors and characters, and a lot of the scenes, but the "crew" just came off so corny to me. Like a bunch of misfits trying to start a club where they can all look edgy and bad***. lol It just all looked so hokey to me. They irritated me more than anything else. I haven't read the book, though.

It was really weird watching the "new" actors playing Jack and Wendy. And I really liked the scene between Dan and Jack at the Overlook bar.

EDIT: I also really liked the CGI'd scenes where Rose is searching out Abra, and when they're in each other's minds, etc. The special effects there were pretty eerie, even beautiful at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Watched this movie last night. Really liked the overall plot/story continuation and most of the scenes had just the right amount of tense horror drama...

The scene with the baseball kid though. Too far. Could have done without that part.
Yeah, I mentioned to my SO that I thought it was an unwritten rule that we were always spared scenes like this involving babies and children. I was pretty surprised they did that.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 02-28-2020 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-07-2020, 10:53 PM

51,100 posts, read 24,599,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

There is one thing that I simply will not tolerate in film (or real life) -- the murder and or torture of children. I bought the DVD today, and when it got to that scene I stopped the film and threw the DVD into the trash...because that's what it is.

I love horror, but there is a line that should not be crossed.

And that's what happened to me with Stephen King's books, as well. From 1974 to 2006 I read everything King published (except the Tower series). And then the horror turned to perversion. I've never picked up another book of his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies