Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 04:06 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am going because a group of coworkers are going. We're all wearing pink! HEy, I went to see Sound of Freedom last weekend so I'm an Equal Opportunity Movie Goer. I love going to the theater. Probably going to go see Oppenheimer later this week.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinion about it, Kathryn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Oddly enough that makes me want to watch it more than any of the trailers I've seen, just because I want to see if I agree with his opinion.
Ha, that review was pretty entertaining itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 04:20 PM

I checked our theater and it had 20 showings playing today. And except for the very latest showings, they're packed.

When I first heard about it, I had no desire to see it. Then I thought, Well, it might be fun, for the visuals if nothing else (and is it wrong that I love her pink-and-white checked dress? I mean, like for real life?). But then I started hearing comments about it being a "Trojan horse" of sorts [maybe also from the review in this thread?], with a whole message being sent. I would have preferred it to remain more lighthearted. But, whatever... Like I said, I'd like to hear people's reviews here on CD, especially if I'm familiar with the poster.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 07-23-2023 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-23-2023, 05:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Ok I am back home from seeing it and here are my observations:

It was a silly, vacuous script but of course it would be. I kept looking for woke ideology but didn't see any. Heck, I kept waiting for ANY ideology but didn't see any. It was sort of a girl power movie but being a girl, I liked it well enough. Was it worth the price of the ticket, popcorn and two drinks? Doubtful but the company was good so I went.

I kept looking for the man in the pink spandex but I never saw him. I mean, maybe I did but I'm a bit naive so there's that.

The matinee was very, very crowded but probably not as crowded as Mission:Impossible and definitely not as crowded as Sound of Freedom, which I actually left at one point before buying tickets because it was so incredibly crowded (and this wasn't on opening weekend, either, for the record).

I don't regret going. Lots and lots of women wearing pink were there, and it was fun. I mean, stupid but fun.

Next stop - Oppenheimer Stop before this one - Sound of Freedom So I will probably forget this one, which is fine too.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:

It was a silly, vacuous script but of course it would be. I kept looking for woke ideology but didn't see any. Heck, I kept waiting for ANY ideology but didn't see any. It was sort of a girl power movie but being a girl, I liked it well enough. Was it worth the price of the ticket, popcorn and two drinks? Doubtful but the company was good so I went.

I kept looking for the man in the pink spandex but I never saw him. I mean, maybe I did but I'm a bit naive so there's that.

The matinee was very, very crowded but probably not as crowded as Mission:Impossible and definitely not as crowded as Sound of Freedom, which I actually left at one point before buying tickets because it was so incredibly crowded (and this wasn't on opening weekend, either, for the record).

I don't regret going. Lots and lots of women wearing pink were there, and it was fun. I mean, stupid but fun.

Next stop - Oppenheimer Stop before this one - Sound of Freedom So I will probably forget this one, which is fine too.
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 07-23-2023, 05:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Thanks for the feedback!
My pleasure!

Old 07-23-2023, 06:21 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:

Thanks for the review! Kraft Mac and Cheese Barbie and I (changed my mind about taking 50th Anniversary Barbie - her box is kinda bulky, and KM&CB is out of her box) are going on my first weekday off. We'll take our own snacks and drinks.

No doubt "girl power" is included in the definition of "woke ideology" (whatever that is, LOL), but that's in the eye of the beholder. I'm all for girl power!

Old 07-23-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thanks for the review! Kraft Mac and Cheese Barbie and I (changed my mind about taking 50th Anniversary Barbie - her box is kinda bulky, and KM&CB is out of her box) are going on my first weekday off. We'll take our own snacks and drinks.

No doubt "girl power" is included in the definition of "woke ideology" (whatever that is, LOL), but that's in the eye of the beholder. I'm all for girl power!
I don't necessarily mind "girl power" or anyone else's "power," unless it comes at the expense of others; in this case, men. I'm not saying that's the case here, as I haven't seen it. That's why I'm asking for more people's opinions. I still don't have a big desire to see it, so I'd have to be talked into it. In general, I really do have a hard time getting worked up to see most movies these days, and I'm like Kathryn, I love going to the movie theater.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:12 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I don't necessarily mind "girl power" or anyone else's "power," unless it comes at the expense of others; in this case, men. I'm not saying that's the case here, as I haven't seen it. That's why I'm asking for more people's opinions. I still don't have a big desire to see it, so I'd have to be talked into it. In general, I really do have a hard time getting worked up to see most movies these days, and I'm like Kathryn, I love going to the movie theater.
I don't like going to the theater much anymore. I love movies, but the rudeness of modern audiences has spoiled the whole experience for me. That said, I definitely want to see BARBIE. Whether I see it in 2-3 weeks after the crowds have thinned or just wait for streaming remains to be seen.

But there really is only one reason I am interested in seeing the movie: Greta Gerwig.

Her 2017 movie LADY BIRD was great. Smart, funny, and sad.

Her 2019 version of LITTLE WOMEN was one of the best movies to come out that year.

So yeah. She has my attention. This could just as easily have been the STRETCH ARMSTRONG movie, and I'd be interested.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:47 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The promotion for this movie shows how intertwined the big corporations are. CNN (website)? Articles about the movie, the creator of Barbie, etc.

Amazon? Check. Yahoo? Check. Clothing? Check. Food products? Check. Architectural Digest? Check (a tour of her house). Rollerblades? Check.

Simply one of the most saturated promotions I've ever seen.

This article expands on it:

https://www.vox.com/2023/7/21/238017...pr-hype-mattel
Roku, check.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:50 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Somebody please tell me this movie hasn't been turned into a CGI or Marvel Universe-type action movie. Some of the promos make it appear that way. If so, I'll pass. If not, I'll wait until it streams to watch. Mildly interested. Oppenheimer, same thing. Very interested in that, but I don't like sitting in a theater for 3 hours. Every time I see adverts for a 3-hour movie it reminds me of that theater on Van Ness in San Francisco where my 20-something self saw Reds with a few friends. There was an intermission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies