Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 11:33 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
The land of the Pharaohs. I haven’t seen it in decades. Thanks for the term sword and Sandals I’ve never heard it before.
Good movie! Saw it as a child on TV, bought a copy about 10 years ago. Jack Hawkins and Joan Collins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 09:33 PM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Jason and the Argonauts (the skeleton warrior fight) and Clash of the Titans (various monsters), all due to the stop-motion genius of Ray Harryhausen. Vintage "swords and sandals" gold!

Good call.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:38 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That is, this period of Italian movie making: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword-and-sandal

I have seen lots, think I am running out, but is it a case that they get to be the same story over and over again....................or not? Are there those that stand out?
Sword of the Conqueror-1961=Jack Palance, Eleonora Rossi Drago, Guy Madison, etc A pretty good sword action & war filmshown on Amazon Prime Video...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_...20More%20items

Old 02-26-2023, 03:15 PM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
While I'm not sure if it exactly qualifies as a sword and sandal flick , I've always found 1964's " The Long Ships " to be a rather enjoyable movie that probably fits into the general character of the films that have been already mentioned :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057259/

Old 02-27-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
While I'm not sure if it exactly qualifies as a sword and sandal flick , I've always found 1964's " The Long Ships " to be a rather enjoyable movie that probably fits into the general character of the films that have been already mentioned :

That is one of my favorites, with Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, Russ Tamblynn, Rosanna Schiaffino.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:33 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
No love for THE BEASTMASTER?

Old 02-27-2023, 01:18 PM

The BeastMaster with Marc Singer, Tanya Roberts, John Amos, Rip Torn is really good...

Old 02-27-2023, 10:27 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post

I would classify it as such and picked it up a year or two back. The Long Ships was okay, passed for a night's entertainment. I didn't notice what other people said about it, where Richard Widmark wasn't serious about his role, that "Come on, folks, it's just a movie!" but if I had, I would have been pi**ed. Actors have no right playing their role as a joke for the audience is paying money to get something out of the flick, not to see them make a mockery of it. Roger Moore, well, give him a pass as 007 (for much of it but there are limits), though, for 2 main reasons. First, it was all we had so we accepted it. Secondly, he may have misinterpreted what Bond was......but given the comments I see of flicks over all, a lot of audiences do such over all.

More back to our subject in this vein, there is the Deathstalker series. The first one was pretty good, even if a bit top heavy. The second one and whoever made it had no right to trash the concept for his fun. The third one, from what I saw of it, was even more of a joke and while they say Rick Hill was in the 4th, by then, I guess (never seen it), the franchise was destroyed.

Beastmaster was okay for its entertainment escapism of the night. Of Tanya Roberts swords flicks, I haven't seen Sheena (but it is in inventory) and my favorite is Hearts and Armor....which I am more likely to rewatch than Beastmaster. Somethings just work better......though in H&A, the reason to rewatch is probably not her.

Beastmaster was on the diskette tonight but I opted for Midnight Chronicles instead.....which I will be giving a thumbs down in my review in a moment.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:51 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Beastmaster was okay for its entertainment escapism of the night.
Is anyone really watching a sword and sandal flick and hoping for high cinematic art?

Quote:
Of Tanya Roberts swords flicks, I haven't seen Sheena (but it is in inventory).
Well, when I was 12 years old, I loved it for very obvious reasons. But I doubt it would hold up very well.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:25 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Great sword and sandal movies: Spartacus, Gladiator, Ben-Hur, Cleopatra.

Good "swords & Sandals" movies:
all the Steve Reeves Hercules films - even the MST3K versions
Corbucci's Duel of the Titans (Romolo e Remo [Romulus and Remus]), written by Corbuccu and Sergio Leone, starring Reeves. The English version cuts 20 minutes though!
Corbucci also made The Slave / Son of Spartacus (Il Figlio di Spartacus). Reeves starred, but Leone had no part.

I've seen a couple Maciste movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies