Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 02:32 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Seen Top Gun Maverick and The Fabelmans. If I can get some of the others on Netflix, HBO Max or pay per view then I'll get to see some more of them. I tried to watch Everything Everywhere but had to subscribe to yet another content provider so I said phooey on that, got too many subscriptions as it is.

I don't miss the theater experience at all, not to mention my senior bladder requires 2-3 trips to the happy room during a feature length movie, which I can 'pause' at home, use my own clean restroom and get a snack at supermarket prices, not ripoff prices. No driving either. No one talking, using cell phones, coughing on the back of my neck, kicking my seat, and I get to see movies when I want to see them on my timetable. We watched Crazy Rich Asians for free last night on our TV.

EDIT TO ADD: Yes, we are recording the show and will start watching it about an hour into the event so we can fast forward through all the execrable ads, especially the lawyer ads, insanely long drug ads with a long string of side effects, and the mini-infomercial Cindy Crawford ad for "MB" or Meaningful Beauty that seems to never end.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-12-2023 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 02:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
ABC is broadcasting right now btw...on Oscar stuff.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:52 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Seen Top Gun Maverick and The Fabelmans. If I can get some of the others on Netflix, HBO Max or pay per view then I'll get to see some more of them. I tried to watch Everything Everywhere but had to subscribe to yet another content provider so I said phooey on that, got too many subscriptions as it is.
I signed up for the free 30 day trial, then cancelled it as soon as the movie was over.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:00 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Anyone watching the people arriving and being interviewed on the beige carpet?

It's funny that they are pretending that it's evening in LA.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:09 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
The OP’s track record is good so far. Perhaps keep it up and play the lottery this week!

Old 03-12-2023, 09:00 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
...Make sure you have plenty of Popcorn, Wine, Junior Mints, Pizza maybe....Beer perhaps and if you want to sit through a few of these other films, some gummies of a certain type might help too.
I'll say. Three hours in, and we're still waiting on four major awards...

Old 03-12-2023, 09:10 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
Very disappointed with Everything Everywhere... etc. The movie is visually fascinating, and there is some amazing acting. But as I was watching, it seemed that Everything was what was thrown into the movie, Everywhere is where they hope to make a lot of money off of it, and the last phrase is about the public watching it for two plus hours. There isn't enough story there; the plot is flimsy. It feels like the movie powers that be, decided how to make the most money first and then built a movie around it.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:43 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Very disappointed with Everything Everywhere... etc. The movie is visually fascinating, and there is some amazing acting. But as I was watching, it seemed that Everything was what was thrown into the movie, Everywhere is where they hope to make a lot of money off of it, and the last phrase is about the public watching it for two plus hours. There isn't enough story there; the plot is flimsy. It feels like the movie powers that be, decided how to make the most money first and then built a movie around it.
I haven’t watched Everything Everywhere blah blah blah yet. Want to wait until the price drops to stream it. I saw Tar, Top Gun Maverick and The Fabelmans and liked those 3 in that order. Tried to watch Elvis and Blonde and gave up less than an hour into them.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Tried to watch EEAO but just couldn’t
Happy for Yeoh
She is great in anything
And Blanchett has won before even though she aces her roles too whatever they are

Old 03-12-2023, 10:49 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
But as I was watching, it seemed that Everything was what was thrown into the movie,
THE 95TH ACADEMY AWARDS | 2023

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN - Nine nominations - complete shutout
EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - Eleven nominations, but two in same category, ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  1. BEST PICTURE WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers
  2. DIRECTING WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
  3. ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE WINNER KE HUY QUAN Everything Everywhere All at Once
  4. ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE WINNER MICHELLE YEOH Everything Everywhere All at Once
  5. ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE WINNER JAMIE LEE CURTIS Everything Everywhere All at Once
  6. WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY) WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
  7. FILM EDITING WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Paul Rogers

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE lost
  1. COSTUME DESIGN WINNER BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER Ruth Carter
  2. MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) WINNER ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT Volker Bertelmann
  3. MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG) WINNER NAATU NAATU from RRR; Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose
  4. ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE STEPHANIE HSU lost to JAMIE LEE CURTIS

The film was not one of the greatest films of all time, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN should have had a writing award at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies