Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 11:43 PM

842 posts, read 551,351 times

Advertisements

I learned "no person is more important than profits". How philosophical is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 05:00 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I didn't realize that. Someday I may watch it, despite its length of 2 hours and 23 minutes.
At least, the one I watched on Netflix was in English. I decided to look it up since I thought it was so strange, and didn't find like a clear answer but suggestions that it may have been dubbed in English. I'm like---Arrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!!! I don't want anyone to ruin a good foreign film especially without telling me! (I really don't mind the subtitles; actually, most of the time I have the subtitles on anyway since it's sometimes hard for me to tell what the people are saying especially if they're talking with an accent. Like a lot of times I would miss a word here or there or are not sure what the person's name actually is like in Banshees).

Well, who knows; maybe someone on here can clarify. It wasn't very clear that it definitely was. And the actors in the film sure as heck looked as though they were speaking English; like, it looked like the words they were speaking were the ones coming out of the audio.

Yeah, it is a bit long. I thought the production design and score helped make it more interesting; I did think it was a bit slow though. Oh, you know what's really cool is the lead actor in that--this was his first film! Wow. I had no idea (the producer or whoever it was mentioned that in his acceptance speech). Man, what a phenomenal job for a first film; he also has a distinct look about him too. A lot of aspects of that film just made it quite unique.

In terms of the winners---OMG! I like jumped up and screamed when All Quiet won for best score. That score was like so awesome, distinct. It was really, really cool. And best production design too! I was so thrilled like to death. And Panther won for costume like I was hoping! How cool is that.

I was happy there were some surprises in the awards ceremony. All the favored actors and the like the main what is it like 6 or 7 categories (acting, picture, and writing, director) won, but there were still a couple upsets--the largest on being production design for All Quiet! Awesome!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Seen Top Gun Maverick and The Fabelmans. If I can get some of the others on Netflix, HBO Max or pay per view then I'll get to see some more of them. I tried to watch Everything Everywhere but had to subscribe to yet another content provider so I said phooey on that, got too many subscriptions as it is.

I don't miss the theater experience at all, not to mention my senior bladder requires 2-3 trips to the happy room during a feature length movie, which I can 'pause' at home, use my own clean restroom and get a snack at supermarket prices, not ripoff prices. No driving either. No one talking, using cell phones, coughing on the back of my neck, kicking my seat, and I get to see movies when I want to see them on my timetable. We watched Crazy Rich Asians for free last night on our TV.

[...]
Yeah, I really don't mind not going to the theatre anymore (just went for the short live-action and animated shorts). I wish they'd make the in-theatre movies available to purchase online, even if it's for like a really high price-tag and you only have like 24 hours to watch it or something. I don't know, I was just bummed that even if I would have had a lot of time to watch all of them this year, there's some--or at least one that I know of, "Living"--that I wouldn't have been able to watch because it wasn't playing around here or there was a pause between its theatre showing and availability online (I find that to be incredibly irritating, the pause in between those times. To me at least, it makes no rational sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Very disappointed with Everything Everywhere... etc. The movie is visually fascinating, and there is some amazing acting. But as I was watching, it seemed that Everything was what was thrown into the movie, Everywhere is where they hope to make a lot of money off of it, and the last phrase is about the public watching it for two plus hours. There isn't enough story there; the plot is flimsy. It feels like the movie powers that be, decided how to make the most money first and then built a movie around it.
I enjoyed Everything and thought there was some great acting in it (especially Curtis, her character was great), but it just didn't have that Best Picture feel for it (can't explain it more than that, maybe other than it didn't seem timeless but definitely timed or timely or whatever, somewhat in the way of a fad). I would have loved to see either Banshees, my favorite out of the ones nominated or even All Quiet win (when it was winning all the smaller awards, I kind of thought it may have had a chance).

I also thought that Blanchett did a phenomenal job as Tar. She just keeps getting better and better. Not a likeable character, but her acting was riveting in that film (I thought more deserving of the award than Yeoh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE lost
  1. COSTUME DESIGN WINNER BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER Ruth Carter
  2. MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE) WINNER ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT Volker Bertelmann
  3. MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG) WINNER NAATU NAATU from RRR; Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose
  4. ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE STEPHANIE HSU lost to JAMIE LEE CURTIS

The film was not one of the greatest films of all time, THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN should have had a writing award at the very least.
I know. I thought it was the best out of all the films nominated and definitely thought it should have gotten the award for writing; but nothing. Quite disappointed in that. I think the Academy got caught up in a fad over Everything. It's a good, entertaining film but just not best picture quality (just my opinion).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 03-13-2023 at 05:19 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 05:48 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I admit it's always nice to see that there are some stars who haven't partaken of the Academy Award Kool-Aid.

"It's so asinine. If you look at how many forgettable, stupid movies have won Oscars and how many mediocre performers have Oscars above their fireplace. Making a priority of chasing these fake carrots and money and dubious accolades, I think it’s really destructive." (Ethan Hawke)

"I can't stand all that. I find it nauseating to watch and I think it's disgusting to behold. People groveling around and kissing the backsides of famous producers and all that. It makes me want to throw up, it really does. It's sick-making. I've seen it so many times. I saw it fairly recently, last year. Some great producer-mogul and everyone kisses this guy's backside. I think, What are they doing? Don't they have any self respect? I wanted to say, **** off. (Anthony Hopkins)

"The ceremonies are a two-hour meat parade, a public display with contrived suspense for economic reasons... offensive, barbarous and innately corrupt." (George C. Scott)

Old 03-13-2023, 06:49 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
The 76th British Academy Film Awards have already provided everyone with an insight in to the possible winners.

'All Quiet on the Western Front' will pick up multiple awards, as will the likes of 'Elvis', as well as Irish film 'The Banshees of Inisherin', beyond that is anyone's guess.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:53 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"The ceremonies are a two-hour meat parade, a public display with contrived suspense for economic reasons... offensive, barbarous and innately corrupt." (George C. Scott)
Two hours? If only. Last night had to be close to 4 hours. I love the Academy Awards--and it's the only awards show we watch--but that was one damn long show last night.

Sorry that The Fabelmans was barely acknowledged.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:04 AM

381 posts, read 169,941 times
I turned it on 5 different times to check if I could catch them awarding a major category and every single time it was in a commercial break.

Well, once it was on 2 seconds before going to a commercial break showing someone who perhaps just one an award, didn't recognize her.

and I thought your average sports broadcast was terrible.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:19 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Sorry that The Fabelmans was barely acknowledged.
Haven't seen it yet. I'll catch it on streaming.

I do miss the days when Spielberg made movies for the audience instead of the Academy. He has spent far too many years baiting the Oscar hook.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:21 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Is it "The Oscars" or "The Academy Awards".....?

These days, I notice, it seems to almost officially be changed to being called "The Oscars".

The interesting thing is ..."Oscar" is just the "nickname" given to the Academy Award statuette...
as in "And the Oscar goes to...."

There is debate as to how the award statuette got the nickname that stuck....
could have been the first academy librarian, Margaret Herrick, who thought that the
statuette looked like her uncle Oscar....or perhaps 1930s Hollywood gossip columnist, Sidney Skolsky, first mention in print of the award as an "Oscar" in 1934.

I am old school....I still call it "The Academy Awards"...not ..."The Oscars".

Old 03-13-2023, 08:27 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Anyone watching the people arriving and being interviewed on the beige carpet?

It's funny that they are pretending that it's evening in LA.
Yeah. Saw Hugh Grant being interviewed. Oh, boy. Was he in a snarky, bad mood.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:29 AM

6,388 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I didn't watch 1 second of it. I miss the old days when hosts were naturally funny without a roomful of writers writing gags for them. Johnny Carson for example could ad-lib with the best of them, Billy Crystal and Bob Hope. I am sure it was a coincidence that the host just happened to have a late night show on the same network. They totally ruined the in memoriam with horrible music accompanying it. Did anybody listen to the original soundtrack? What happened to real music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies