Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 08:42 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Is it "The Oscars" or "The Academy Awards".....?

These days, I notice, it seems to almost officially be changed to being called "The Oscars".

The interesting thing is ..."Oscar" is just the "nickname" given to the Academy Award statuette...
as in "And the Oscar goes to...."
In 2013, they rebranded the 85th Academy Awards to The Oscars
https://www.thewrap.com/ampas-drops-...-oscars-78211/

Officially they are the Academy Award of Merit from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but they also officially adopted the name Oscar for the trophy itself in 39
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 08:50 AM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
The "In Memoriam" tribute left out a lot of people. I think they referred people to a website for a more thorough list.
I don't think that was done before.

Angela Bassett's reaction? Not very sportsmanlike.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:52 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Two hours? If only. Last night had to be close to 4 hours. I love the Academy Awards--and it's the only awards show we watch--but that was one damn long show last night.

Sorry that The Fabelmans was barely acknowledged.
I thought it went kind of short. I recall once it ended past midnight.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:54 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
The "In Memoriam" tribute left out a lot of people. I think they referred people to a website for a more thorough list.
I don't think that was done before.

Oh, yeah. I caught that. She didn't clap and looked mad pissed. I used to like her but not after that.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:04 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,062,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I didn't watch 1 second of it. I miss the old days when hosts were naturally funny without a roomful of writers writing gags for them. Johnny Carson for example could ad-lib with the best of them, Billy Crystal and Bob Hope. I am sure it was a coincidence that the host just happened to have a late night show on the same network. They totally ruined the in memoriam with horrible music accompanying it. Did anybody listen to the original soundtrack? What happened to real music?
Yes....remember those days...all those hosts you mentioned were far better ....though Kimmel wasn't bad.

And the Academy Awards were held in April for many years ....then it became late March....in the last decade crept up to as early as late February ...

And the stars....no comparison....most of today's stars ...like the ones that won last night,
I could walk past them and not have a clue....

As a side note, I remember finally getting a VCR in late 1985 ...and recording the 1986 Academy Awards Show .....recorded everything ...stars on the Red Carpet....
interviews on Entertainment Tonight with Mary Hart....remember her?....
unfortunately, I taped over all of it years ago...should have kept it, would be interesting to watch now.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
The only thing that will ever get me to watch again is if the host is Ricky Gervais. Those Golden Globe show with him were classics.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:58 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I know. I thought {Banshees} was the best out of all the films nominated and definitely thought it should have gotten the award for writing; but nothing. Quite disappointed in that. I think the Academy got caught up in a fad over Everything. It's a good, entertaining film but just not best picture quality (just my opinion).
Banshees was actually nominated 11 times, one more than Everything Everywhere All at Once. There were four acting nominations
  • ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  • WINNER KE HUY QUAN Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • BRENDAN GLEESON The Banshees of Inisherin
  • BARRY KEOGHAN The Banshees of Inisherin
  • ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  • WINNER JAMIE LEE CURTIS Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • KERRY CONDON The Banshees of Inisherin
  • ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
  • WINNER BRENDAN FRASER The Whale
  • COLIN FARRELL The Banshees of Inisherin

The two pictures were both nominated for Picture and Director snf writing
  • BEST PICTURE
  • WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers
  • THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers
  • DIRECTING
  • WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
  • THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN Martin McDonagh
  • WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
    WINNER EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
    THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN Written by Martin McDonagh

The Academy couldn't find it in their hearts to give Banshees the writig award.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:23 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Angela Bassett is a great actress. But let's be honest. BLACK PANTHER 2 was not an example of anyone's best work, except for maybe costume design. Not Basset's fault. The script was a bit of a mess.

But to be honest, EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE was not all that great either. It was okay. But great? I guess I saw a different movie than everyone else.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:39 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
I turned it on 5 different times to check if I could catch them awarding a major category and every single time it was in a commercial break.

Well, once it was on 2 seconds before going to a commercial break showing someone who perhaps just one an award, didn't recognize her.

and I thought your average sports broadcast was terrible.
That's why we record shows, especially long ones like this show. We saw the four hour show in 3 hours, 15 minutes and that includes stops for potty breaks and refilling the wine glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
...They totally ruined the in memoriam with horrible music accompanying it. Did anybody listen to the original soundtrack? What happened to real music?
Agree. At one point they made the in memoriam part too small to see, no one needed to see half the screen allocated to watching Lenny Kravitz play a piano no matter how good he is. Worse, they put two images of departed persons up on the screen and alternated between in focus and out of focus and did the change of focus so quickly that we barely had time to read who these people were. Just an all around bad format.

Best part of the show was the Indian dance troupe, amazing footwork and energy. They deserved their standing ovation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-13-2023 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 03-13-2023, 10:59 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Banshees was actually nominated 11 times, one more than Everything Everywhere All at Once. There were four acting nominations
EEAO had 11 nominations: Picture, Director, Actress, support actor, (2) supporting actress, screenplay, score, song, costume, editing
Banshees had 9: Picture, Director, Actor, (2) support actors, supporting actress, screenplay, editing, score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies