Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 AM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times

Advertisements

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It was OK. I had read the book so I knew how it would end. The movie was like the book; a little too long and boring in parts.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Frankenweenie in 3D. What? I'm in touch with my inner child, and I really like Tim Burton films.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
"Paranoid Park" from the danish producer Gus von Sant, with pretty boy Jared Leto. The life of some suburban kids doing rollers competitions. Awfully boring, couldn't watch it till the end , fell asleep after 1/2 hour. The camera was focused most of the time on that kid played by Leto, with feminine looks, is Von Sant a gay or what ?
PH... I get 2 directors regularly confused (Gus Van Sant & Lars von Trier), because imho both have made hit or miss films, some odd beyond this earth plane & in interviews show a great deal of strangeness akin to the two Davids, Cronenberg & Lynch, two other directors whose works I often confuse. Van Sant is American & as you'd guessed, openly gay. In this case, you might be confusing him with Dane, Lars von Trier, who keeps everyone guessing on his stance with his controversial comments on gays & Nazis. Not that it matters, but one's sexuality does affect one's creative film work, even if only in choice of subject matter.

As a straight woman, I'd love to see non-stop close-ups of Leto but he isn't the actor in this film as you mentioned later. If you ever come across such a movie with Jared... please let me know, pronto! Seriously, he's a good actor. I think I'll skip this one... rollerskating competitions aren't my forte no matter who directs or plays lead & I, too, have attempted to watch a fair share of movies which had me fighting sleep or rolling my eyes so many times I thought I'd tear an occular muscle.

Sometimes it's hard to find a good flick. I always want something non-mainstream, but oftentimes want something quirky & odd, too. If I opt for Cronenberg, von Trier or Lynch strange, I oftentimes have no idea what I just saw & just make up my own script around the images. They're still sometimes worth a try.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
The Fly
With Geneva Davis and Jeff goldblum.
I had always wanted to see that movie.
It was on last week and I DVr'd it.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM

124 posts, read 227,785 times
Just watched Exit Humanity on Netflix."A decade after the Civil War, Edward Young returns home from a hunting trip to find that his son is missing and his wife has become a zombie. Edward sets out to find his son among the hordes of the walking dead and documents his story in a book."

Interesting-not the best zombie movie but different and not too shabby!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
The Fly
With Geneva Davis and Jeff goldblum.
I had always wanted to see that movie.
It was on last week and I DVr'd it.
I saw this a few weeks ago for the first time, too & really enjoyed listening to the commentary with Cronenberg more than the film. If you get a chance to hear it, I think you'll find it very interesting. He's great at revealing all the ins & outs of the film.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
"Frankenweenie" ( 2D , I loathe 3D). I thoroughly enjoyed it, loved the black and white, the animation and the story was quite touching.

Tim Burton's only worthwhile movie in years. He should stick to animation IMO. He's becoming an embarassment and has managed to drag Johnny Depp and his wife down too...

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Cloud Atlas

Just couldn't get the whole point of the movie and after 2 hours, I left. Wasn't able to figure out who was reincarnated to whom, where the Chinese gal came in, how it all was supposed to have meaning. So, I gave up and left. I gave it my best shot.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times
50/50. I thought it would be a comedy because Seth Rogan was in it but it wasn't. There was some funny lines but it was mainly about a 27 year old man dealing with cancer. I loved it! Very good movie.

We Bought A zoo. OK. Just OK. Best part about this movie was Matt Damon who I love.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Toy Story 1, 2 and 3: absolutely fantastic! I'm usually not a big fan of animation movies but I finally decided to watch Toy Story and after I watched the first one, I just had to watch the second and third part too. Really excellent movies I liked Toy Story 3 the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies