Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times

Advertisements

Akira Kurosawa 'Ran'.

Ran Trailer - Akira Kurosawa - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool79pifi View Post
i loking for the name of a film :a woman came from another planet and she met a man who helped her and teach
how to fight against who invaded her planet ,the film is similar to starman,almost,
i remember that she was hunted by 2 men and in the end she understand that she must fight,
she killed them with the power of mind
what is the name of movie?sci fi movie 90`s probably,tv movie,the actress looks like julia nickson but not sure
and action movie similar to starman
I'm not sure if anyone ever answered you about this. It sounds a lot like "Starcrossed" (1985 TV movie) starring Belinda Bauer and James Spader.
IMDb synopsis:
An alien woman is running from a deadly enemy and tries to hide on Earth where she meets a young mechanic, who helps her to get back home and to fight for the freedom of her people.

Did she levitate billiard balls at one time in an almost ET-esque scene? Did her spacecraft turn out to be a neon sculpture?

James Spader in "Starcrossed" - Part 1 - YouTube

This turns out not to be off-topic because this IS an obscure movie!

I've been reading this thread, and I'm realizing that I have been watching far too many movies throughout my life (55+ years at least). I've scarcely seen any titles I'd have considered obscure or little-known. That's why it can be difficult for me to suggest titles though I give it a try. I did on the other thread like this one: obscure/little-known films.

Here are a few I can suggest:
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) - IMDb
A Dog's Breakfast (2007) - IMDb
The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) - IMDb
The Kovak Box (2006) - IMDb
Decline and Fall... of a Birdwatcher (1968) - IMDb
The Bed Sitting Room (1969) - IMDb
A Matter of Innocence (1967) - IMDb
Nine Hours to Rama (1963) - IMDb
A Boy Ten Feet Tall (1963) - IMDb

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
The Carpetbaggers with George Peppard, loosley based on the life of Howard Hughes - is pretty much out of circulation. It has a great fist fight with him and Alan Ladd.

Another great one is One Eyed Jacks with Brando in his heyday, and Karl Malden as a real baddie.

Finally, a spin-off of the Carpetbaggers Nevada Smith.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Very good. I saw this many years ago but never forgot it. Sort of like a Twilight Zone type story.
Er, seconded. Great film.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,786 times
You know you watch too many films when only about five movies listed are ones you haven't heard of. A lot of the movies from the Forties are actually very famous films that have never dropped into obscurity. TCM is the best source for them of course. If you depend on HBO and the rest, you see such a limited number of movies, mainly from within the past couple of decades. Maybe these threads will rejuvenate a lot of these wonderful films. Now, I'd better try to contribute more.

I champion this film, which was quite controversial in its day and still might spark discussions:
Privilege (1967) - IMDb
IMDb synopsis: Steven Shorter (rocker Paul Jones) is the ultimate British music star. His music is listened to by everyone from pre-teens to grandparents. He has no trace of public bad habits or drug involvement. Everyone in Britain loves him. His handlers begin to use his popularity for projects like increasing the consumption of apples after a bumper crop as an aid to farmers. The handlers decide that Steven should support God and Country next. This leads to, among other things, a rock version of "Onward Christian Soldiers," and the inclusion of a Nazi salute to make it clear how far the British population will be taken for love of God and Country under Steven's guidance. Steven is very plastic in his direction, shifting as his handlers point him toward new projects until he meets Vanessa Ritchie (supemodel Jean Shrimpton), an artist who makes him look at what's happening.

Privilege (1967) Trailer - Out Now on BFI DVD - YouTube

Then, there's the weirdly fascinating "Wonderwall" (1968), with music by George Harrison. Amazingly, they have the complete film on YouTube!

wonderwall pt1 - YouTube

Someone lists "Little Otik". Here's another foreign-language film incorporating stop-motion, this time to present an often-bizarre version of "Alice in Wonderland": "Neco z Alenky" aka "Alice" (1988). Fortunately, someone posted it on YouTube, all in one piece:

Jan Svankmajer - Alice (1988).EN Complete movie - YouTube

Here's one I stumbled across on YouTube, an animated film I'd never heard about: "Felidae" (1994), a film noir with felines. This is NOT for children! YouTube has the English-dubbed version:

Felidae (1994, English) - Part 1 - YouTube

Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 AM

691 posts, read 771,565 times
Common Law Wife

Common Law Wife (1963) trailer - YouTube

Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
"By the riverside", some flick I watched in a theatre in NYC 25 years ago. I wouldnt rate it as a good movie, though, not that bad either. The story of youngsters in a bleak East Coast town who are bore to death, spend their time drinking, and one day, their partying goes too far, and one chick in the group dies, nobody wants to take responsibility. Not original to say the least, but somehow entertenaig in an odd way...

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
A Spanish Film : "Dragon Rapide" (1995)(if you understand Spanish). A thrilling reenactement of a lesser known episode of the beginning of the Spanish Civil War - for history buffs!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
I love the old movie "The Snake Pit" about Mental Illness in a time when these issues were never discussed.

The Snake Pit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THE SNAKE PIT (1948) trailer. Starring OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies