Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 08:04 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times

Advertisements

Ah, but he didn't do too badly the second time around.

Carly Simon has never publicly revealed who it was that she was singing about in 1972's You're So Vain. Rumors have persisted almost from the get-go that it was Warren Beatty and he seems as likely a candidate as any. He even phoned her thanking her for the song. She has gone on record that the letters A, E and R are contained in that person's name - which certainly doesn't rule him out... or Mick Jagger, for that matter. Mick can be heard, of course, singing backup on the song. Others whose names have been mentioned are David Geffen, Nick Nolte, Kris Kristofferson, David Bowie, David Cassidy and Cat Stevens. Whoa - Carly!

In 2003, she made a significant contribution to a charity auction on Martha's Vineyard. The highest bidder would get to hear her perform the song in his/her own home and she world reveal, in confidence, the detail that everyone has wondered about for almost 40 years. The winner was Dick Ebersol, president of NBC Sports

So Dick --- Whaddayaknow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,331,048 times
Despite having 17 number one singles in Britain, Elvis Presley never toured there. His manager Col.Tom Parker was not a US citizen and had no assurance that he'd be allowed back in the country if he left.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
These are the first 7 tracks on Lesley Gore's 1963 debut album.

It's My Party (and I'll cry if I want to)
Cry Me A River
Cry
Just Let Me Cry
Cry and You Cry Alone
No More Tears Left to Cry
Judy's Turn To Cry
Are we beginning to see a pattern here?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Tom Jones used to sell vacumm cleaners door-to-door.
So did Johnny Cash.

(Now, I wonder---how many future music stars did that line of work before becoming music stars?)

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM

TWO ... that we know of so far

In January, 2007 the Washington Post decided to conduct an experiment to see if people would acknowledge the beauty of music in a common place at an inconvenient time. The setting was at an entrance of the Washington Metro Station. Joshua Bell, one of the world's most renowned violinists was recruited to perform a 45 minute recital of 6 pieces - on a 3.5 million dollar Stradivarius.

Apparently somebody was keeping track and they noted that over 1000 people passed by during that time. Some dropped money in his violin case, but most did not. He received $32 for his efforts. A total of six people stopped to listen and only one person recognized him.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Thoughtful Experiment Square Peg.
Blues singer? Every song title on Bobby Vinton's 1963 album Blue Velvet...has the word Blue in it.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 AM

No doubt wanting to upstage Leslie Gore

An unconfirmed story attributed to Randy Bachman: Late at night while BTO was mixing down the single Taking Care Of Business a pizza delivery guy showed up, heard the music, and suggested that the song have a piano in it. There was a piano in the studio but none of the band members played piano. The pizza guy said that he did and Randy humored him by letting him do a take. One take. The band's intention was to erase the piano track the following day.

That next day the head of Mercury Records visited the studio to see how things were coming along and liked it with the piano. So it stayed.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Mozart's pet starling died on June 4, 1787. He gave it a lavish funeral- several friends attended and hymns were sung as it was lowered into its grave.(Historians are quick to point out that the emotion may have been amplified by the fact that Mozarts own father had died a week earlier) He even wrote an elegy for the bird, a section of which reads:
A little fool lies here
Whom I held dear--
A starling in the prime
Of his brief time..
A month later Mozaet finished a short composition for six instruments titled 'A musical joke" It is, nearly all critics agree, incoherant, rambling, unstructured, off-key, and just plain bad.In other words the piece contains "the compositional autograph... of a starling."

I'm not a critic, but.........

YouTube - A musical Joke Mozart - Mov. I Allegro

Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Well, how cool is that !?! If that piece played while I was driving, I'm relatively certain it would have just zinged right over my little amateur head, but I'll remember it now!

Irving Berlin, who wrote scores for both stage and film, and many hit songs of the day, including: Alexander's Rag Time Band, White Christmas, God Bless America, Easter Parade, There's No Business Like Show Business, Always, Puttin' On The Ritz, What'll I Do and about 1500 other compositions could not read nor write music.

He actually knew only one key on the piano and that was f# - which involves mostly the black keys. He had a special piano that changed keys for him by adjusting a wheel so that the hammers struck different strings when he wanted to play something in, say, C and hired assistants to actually write the music down. One such person to apply for that job was George Gershwin, but Mr. Berlin decided he was too talented to want to stay on for very long.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
^^^ A lot of artists today can't read and write music

Paul McCartney

Bob Dylan

Michael Jackson

Just to name a few. I find that fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music