Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is it?
The Beach Boys 13 39.39%
The Carpenters 0 0%
The Eagles 6 18.18%
Van Halen 3 9.09%
Aerosmith 2 6.06%
Guns'n'Roses 3 9.09%
Nirvana 4 12.12%
The Smashing Pumpkins 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM

269 posts, read 416,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Considering John Paul Jones did the string arrangements for REM's Automatic For The People and Cobain loved REM, it is possible the two could have worked together. Brian May probably not. Regarding Bob Mould, he traveled in the same social/music circles so they also could have done something.
Eh, I could see that, but Cobain and Grohl were two very different personalities. IMO, theyre polar opposites really. Cobain wanted the fame. He said it in his journals. There are even interviews with band techs/roadies that said it. Dave is more suited for it though. He is doing it the right way, and as long as you stick to your roots and beliefs, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. One reason Nirvana went to a bigger label before Nevermind was because of Sonic Youth and REM. They showed that you can still be on a major label and make good music. The Foos have owned their entire catalog ever since they became a band. Dave learned a lot being in Nirvana on do's and dont's. The Foos only use RCA for distribution purposes and for that they may get a % but any creative angle, the Foos do whatever they want. Theyre not contractually obligated to do anything. I think the Greatest Hits was the only thing and they battled that for nearly 10 years.

Dave's songwriting is also more dynamic, and he can write a song for any mood. Theres something to be said for that.

Cobain only wrote angst-laden tunes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM

269 posts, read 416,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
TOOL is the greatest American band ever...

If it wasn't for Danny Carey (drummer), they would just be decent.

Best Tool Drum Songs - YouTube

I also think Rage Against the Machine deserves some props. Morello is an amazing guitarist.
Careys great, Tool is too, but theres gotta be more to it than technical playing, IMO.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM

451 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I went to the Foo Fighters Sunday and they rocked our world for 3 freaking hours.

David Gruhl was drummer and a held back artist until Kurt Cobain bit it. Had he not died, this David character... best musician on the planet... may not have been discovered.

I hope it turns out he's not British or something. I love music from across the pond. It's the best. But if hear one more limey accent, I think I'm gonna snuff it.

Foo Fighters "get it". Frank Zappa was right up there with Jimi Hendrix gypsy-style. But when he wasnt guitar riffin or talking to stupid politicians, he didn't get it.

Foo Fighters... live... is like... Shangri La.

Disagree 100%. Even if Cobain had lived, Grohl wouldve still made his own music and collaborated with other people. He did it before Nirvana, during Nirvana, and obviously after.

He didnt just pick up a guitar one day post-Cobain's death and say maybe ill start playing my own music.

I dont understand how people cant see this. It wouldve been Beatles-esque. Both having solo careers.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
The best of the American artists/bands tend to be dominated by individuals.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
The best of the American artists/bands tend to be dominated by individuals and eventually spin off to do their own thing, btw Neil Young is Canadian, eh.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 AM

374 posts, read 812,644 times
CCR isn't included?
This poll is a joke.
Gun 'N Roses...?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
I’d say based on popularity, longevity, sales and influence, it has to be Metallica; whether you like metal or not, Metallica has been able to adapt to the current trends in music without losing their identity. In addition they have grown as musicians and have expanded their sound outside their heavy metal origins.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM

577 posts, read 992,614 times
I have to go with the Byrds as the best and most influential. Numerous styles, from folk to pop to psychedelic to country.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
I have a 2 CD greatest hits by Styx that would stomp all over a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
My favorite American bands are Van Halen, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Boston. All other American bands come after those.
Do we get to claim Jimi Hendrix Experience as an American band since the band was just Jimi with English bass player and drummer? I mean I love Jimi Hendrix--plus the drumming of Mitch Mitchell--and he made four outstanding albums in a row in his lifetime, but just curious who gets to be considered American.

I mean I wish The Band had more American members outside Levon Helm, but they're all Canadian. But it's a trade off since Canadian Neil Young did his best work with Crazy Horse and they were all American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music