Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 16,460 times

Advertisements

I hate most country that's come out since the early 90s. Twangy, irrelevant, half-assed musically and the lyrics are anachronistic blather. It's even worse when they try to modernize it or have some tall blonde wanna-be model singing about family values. Where's the next sack I can puke into located?

On the other hand, love outlaw country, David Allan Coe is the **** and frankly, the older it is the better. You'll NEVER hear the good stuff on the radio, just like any other genre.

One last thought: Please die Toby Keith. Die die die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times
I hate country music because...anything after the Kentucky Headhunters first album totally blows fanny.

It looked like there was hope when artists such as Dwight Yoakum (sp?) got popular 20 or 25 years ago...but it's been all pretty much downhill since then.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Everytime Kenny Chesney comes to Pittsburgh, the police have to deal with drunk, ignorant, rowdy tailgaters. It all makes the news and is very disgraceful. Fans at rock concerts act more responsibly.
You're so right about this; I've been to countless rock concerts. The country concert I described was a total waste of good money.
The people at rock concerts are cool, fun & hip. The crowd at that country music concert was annoying as Hell.
I'll never do a country music concert again

Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I am a country music fan----country music is like any other genre----some of it is great, and a certain percentage of it is not.

One of the great things about country is that it is very easy to ascertain who is a great performer, and who is not. In rock and hip hop, there are a lot of contrived performances built around special effects, speaker systems, and other methods of making the performer sound tolerable. In country music if the performer cant cut it, you can spot it almost instanteously, and contrived efforts to make them sound better are useless.

I am a little angered by the trend in modern country to make the music sound more rock like, diesel, and pretensious. I want more George Strait, Alan Jackson, Martina Mcbride, Brad Paisley, and Carrie Underwood, and less of some of the current sound.

We have been to tons of country concerts----and the great majority of the crowd is made up of good people. Yes, indeed you will find amateurs who cant drink---and yes you will encounter some rednecks and clowns-----the great majority of fans are solid and decent people.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
One of the great things about country is that it is very easy to ascertain who is a great performer, and who is not. In rock and hip hop, there are a lot of contrived performances built around special effects, speaker systems, and other methods of making the performer sound tolerable. In country music if the performer cant cut it, you can spot it almost instanteously, and contrived efforts to make them sound better are useless.

Looks like Taylor Swift got a pass on that one.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Just wondering.

I have seen on Facebook and other social sites saying that a particular person likes all types of music "except country".

I am just wondering why do people hate country music so much? Much of it know could fall under lite hits. Classic country is beautiful, I mean I thought mostly everyone liked Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton?

I also learned that a lot of people who say they hate country music never really gave the genre a chance. And once I introduced them they instantly became fans of it.

So, why do you love or hate country music? For those who don't like it, have you really listened to it?
I like country music because it's humble, simple, real, and vastly different and separate from the rest of popular culture. It relates to basic human experiences and life in a simple way, a real culture and way of living, and country artists hold themselves and their music to a higher (different?) standard than most other popular genres, which I think is at least partly due to the casual Christian influence. Yes, it's become a bit more mainstream and less distinct in the past couple of decades, but it still remains very different and separate. I think this is the reason so many people don't even give it a chance and say things like "except country". If you grow up in the city or suburbs, especially outside of areas with people who are first or second generation city people, and have no connection to anything rural, you won't have any reason to consider country music - no exposure. A lot of people don't see it this way, but I think having rural connections is a privledge. If you and your family and friends are fully urbanized with no rural connections, especially as a kid, you don't get to experience what it's like to be out in the country in the middle of the night on a porch, or what's it's like to go mess around down by a river or creek, or what a small-town dynamic is like, or just what it's like to live "easy", etc. etc. I have a lot of experience being out in the country, on a farm, on a ranch, and in a small town, and most of those connections are severed. I didn't know how lucky I was to have those experiences until they were gone. But some people even intentionally dive into middle-class/urban/mainstream culture to cut ties with their more rural backgrounds of which they may be ashamed of, taking pride in being a city person. Ultimately, I think there's a big divide between urban and rural and that plays a role in the dislike of country music. I think some of this stuff I've mentioned is why liberal-minded people have such a hard time understanding conservatives and vice-versa. Anyway, my favorite is 90's country and artists from the 90's. It's what my dad listened to when I was growing up, when we were cruising in the Corvette or the 40 Chevy.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 PM

707 posts, read 687,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Just wondering.

I have seen on Facebook and other social sites saying that a particular person likes all types of music "except country".

I am just wondering why do people hate country music so much? Much of it know could fall under lite hits. Classic country is beautiful, I mean I thought mostly everyone liked Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton?

I also learned that a lot of people who say they hate country music never really gave the genre a chance. And once I introduced them they instantly became fans of it.

So, why do you love or hate country music? For those who don't like it, have you really listened to it?
It must be the twang. But actually if more people heard rock'n country like at a bar or something they'd probably like it. Radio tends to play main stream new country which is what most people associate as country music.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
I dislike modern country because it doesn't sound much different from modern pop music. I also don't like overtly political and/or religious country at all. I like a lot of the old, outlaw type country though.

P.S. A lot of country singers annoy me because they sing out of key so much.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
I think 'a lot" of people hate all kinds of music; it's not exclusive towards Country. I see lots of people who hate top 40 (like me,) Electronica, Metal, Rap and so on. What I've noticed, however, is that it seems like Country fans are (at least from my experience) more likely to go on the defensive towards people who don't like Country, or are more likely to inquire as to why people don't like their music. I never understand the sentiment of fans who are so eager to know why certain people don't like, or maybe even hate, their music.

For example, I am a soccer fan, and does that sport draw literal hatred from quite a few of my fellow Americans. It doesn't faze me. I know what I like to watch, I enjoy watching it, and if other people do, that's great, and if not, that's ok.

As for Country, well, I am not a fan either. Why am I not a fan? I just don't like it. There's no complex reason; it has nothing to do with "whiny" lyrics, conservative undertones or a "twangy" sound. It is just not my thing.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyO View Post
Twangy, irrelevant, half-assed musically and the lyrics are anachronistic blather. It's even worse when they try to modernize it or have some tall blonde wanna-be model singing about family values. Where's the next sack I can puke into located?
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music