Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:17 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times

Advertisements

This decade has the worst music. 2010-2020

We'll see how the people fare going forward from here on out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 07:21 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times
I have probably answered this already, but I would say the 90's, at least for decades in which I have been alive. No decade has ever pushed me away from following current popular music as much as the 90's did (at least from 1992/3-1997). Granted, I have come to appreciate a lot of house and UK garage from that decade, so over time I might change my assessment. Most 90's rock does nothing for me. I did find a lot of Latin music I liked in the late 90's, but I think the jury is still out on how well that is going to hold up. I still like a bunch of it, but certain formulas were repeated excessively.

I think the current decade has actually been pretty good, if you look outside the mainstream. Maybe it's just because with Spotify in particular (and the internet and streaming music, in general), I have better tools to keep up with things now than I did in earlier decades.

I'm not really big on the 50's for popular music either. There were a lot of trends I could do without, particularly doo-wop. On the other hand, given how much was happening with jazz at the time, it's hard to dismiss the decade, even without being a big jazz fan. I don't really care for most of that Blue Note material, but it is still really impressive. I also don't think I've given 50's Latin music its due yet. I still have a lot more listening to do there, but at the very least, I can say a lot was going on. I remember my mother saying she thought her younger sister's era (the 50's) was especially bad for music. Interestingly, my mom definitely liked quite a bit of 60s and 70s soul/R&B and soft rock, so it wasn't as though she had just tuned out new music altogether after the 40's era of her youth.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 12-09-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-27-2021, 07:21 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,528 times
There's good music in every decade, but this current decade is my least favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music