Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Bob Dylan's Cover of John Hiatt's "The Ususal" and "All Along the Watchtower" a Dylan tune covered by Hendrix.
I remember reading how Jimi waited, rather impatiently, for Dylan to release (as was his right) his version of his song "All Along the Watchtower". I do not know how Hendrix got the lyrics (I guess Dylan gave them to him).

Anyway, once Dylan officially released his version Hendrix released his, six months later. While Dylan's album sold very, very well, the Hendrix version of Watchtower is still considered amazing (well, at least to me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 PM

624 posts, read 940,017 times
I heard John Cale's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah before I heard the original. Cale's is still my favorite, though I love both artists' work.

Heard Bonnie Raitt's covers of John Hiatt's "Thing Called Love" and John Prine's "Angel from Montgomery" before I had heard the originals. Originals are better, but thanks to Bonnie for introducing me to two of my favorite artists.

Heard Arlo Guthrie and Willie Nelson do "City of New Orleans" before ever hearing Steve Goodman's original. All have their own merits. I always thought it was Guthrie's song.

Heard Elvis' version of "Hound Dog" years before hearing the first version by Big Mama Thornton. She didn't write the song, but her earlier version is my fave.

Heard Ray Charles do Randy Newman's "Sail Away" first. Both are fantastic. Introduced me to Newman and I'm now a big fan of his.

Heard Linda Ronstadt do Warren Zevon's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" first. Introduced me to Zevon, yet another major favorite of mine.

Was shocked to find out that Johnny Cash's haunting "I Hung My Head" was actually written by Sting. Sorry, Sting. Johnny makes everything better.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
I heard three covers of this song before I heard the original

I can't stand the rain - The Commitments Soundtrack (1991) - YouTube

Tina: Live! - I Can't Stand The Rain - YouTube

Original

Ann Peebles " I Can't Stand The Rain" (1974) - YouTube

Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I remember reading how Jimi waited, rather impatiently, for Dylan to release (as was his right) his version of his song "All Along the Watchtower". I do not know how Hendrix got the lyrics (I guess Dylan gave them to him).

Anyway, once Dylan officially released his version Hendrix released his, six months later. While Dylan's album sold very, very well, the Hendrix version of Watchtower is still considered amazing (well, at least to me).
Everyone waited patiently for Dylan to release something, anything. If you are well read on Dylan it was during his self imposed exile from the music scene after the 'supposed motorcycle crash.'

However, as it relates to Jimi, is that Jimi didn't record this song until 6 months after Dylan released it.

While Albert Grossman was a sleazebag he made a fortune wheeling and dealing sales of Dylan's music to other musicians and Dylan never saw a dime of it. The subsequent court case between Grossman and Dylan dragged on for years - long after Grossman died....in fact it's probably still going on LOL.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,216,079 times
First song what comes to my mind is "Roadrunner"
Orginal:

Bo Diddley - Road Runner - YouTube

Finnish cover from 70s, played by "Hurriganes":

hurriganes - roadrunner - YouTube

Old 10-31-2013, 10:26 AM

876 posts, read 635,878 times
The first time that I heard the following songs was when my most favorite singer James Otto covered them.

"Ramblin' Man"-The Allman Brothers
"They Call Me The Breeze"-Lynard Skynard
"Night Moves"-Bob Seger
"Turn The Page"-Bob Seger
"Into The Mystic"-Van Morrison
"Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit Has Done Got Out Of Hand?"-Waylon Jennings

God bless you and James always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, those who did the songs first do not have a thing on James.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Two that I can think of right now.

Original by the Shirelles

Shirelles - Baby It's You - YouTube

Like the remake

Smith - Baby Its You ('69) - YouTube

original version

Dean Martin - Sway - YouTube

remake by the ***** Cat Dolls

Sway (old version) - YouTube

Probably will see more of remakes from that period.^^^^^

Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
I never knew until this week that Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want to Have Fun is a cover song.

Robert Hazard - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - YouTube

Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I knew Jones' version first, later I learned of the original. Jones and the artists he produced like George Benson did several covers of Ivan Lins songs. Maybe that is why those songs always appealed a lot to me, because of the Brazilian harmonies and melodies, which I had not noticed before, though.

Quincy Jones - Setembro (Brazilian Wedding Song) HD - YouTube

Original:

Ivan Lins - Setembro (1980) - YouTube

George Benson - 1980 - Dinorah, Dinorah [HQ Version] - YouTube

Original:

IVAN LINS - DINORAH, DINORAH - YouTube

Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Quincy Jones & Toots Thielemans - "Velas" - YouTube

Original:

Ivan Lins - Velas Içadas - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_DJcEvmPg

Original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kx3Nv3xl6o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music