Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM

40 posts, read 59,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
It seems to depend on the content with some people. For instance, my mom is in her mid-50s. Her club days was back in the 70s and 80s, and gospel music is her favorite, yet she likes 2Pac. She likes some of the messages he delivers, but when me and my siblings get to playing other rap songs that are loaded with explicit words, she asks us to turn it off. But she'll listen to the radio and dance with us.

There are three types of people who don't like rap: those who don't like the cussing, those who put down anything they don't understand, and those who have tried but simply can't get into it. The latter usually have no negative comments about it.
i've met many people who are just prejudice against rap, of course hip hop isn't for everyone. i just don't like how so many people who have never really tried to get into or understand hip hop, try to make those who enjoy it feel ashamed for listening to it. I'm pretty sure rock was once faced with the same discrimination and dilemma. and we've all seen that the progress or act of government approved music never goes well.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtone View Post
if it did that then it would become rock not rap lol

rappers use turntables and mixers and other things to make there music...
Correction: many rappers use turntables and mixers. Some don't.

Rock and rap are not mutually exclusive, as evidenced by the 311 sample below; or for an extreme example, the N.I.L.8 sample at the bottom of this post.

Addtionally, one can use live instruments in rap without having it sound like rock, as evidenced by the LL Cool J Unplugged album, several Beastie Boys tracks, and the Brand New Heavies "Heavy Rhyme Experience Vol 1" album, a sample from which is provided below.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,835,189 times
Quote:
i've met many people who are just prejudice against rap, of course hip hop isn't for everyone. i just don't like how so many people who have never really tried to get into or understand hip hop, try to make those who enjoy it feel ashamed for listening to it. I'm pretty sure rock was once faced with the same discrimination and dilemma. and we've all seen that the progress or act of government approved music never goes well.
I don't let anybody make me feel ashamed about my music. I love my music and if they don't like that I'm having a good time then I'll be happy to tell them what they can do with their opinion.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I would say I hate 90% of rap. Probably 99.5% of all rap that has come out in the last 5-10 years.
I agree with you on that one. I can't even stand listening to the radio because of all the garbage they're passing off as music these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
No. I meant more songs using a guitar, real drum set, bass guitar, etc.
Quote:
if it did that then it would become rock not rap lol
rappers use turntables and mixers and other things to make there music...
No a lot of rappers use/have used guitars, live drums in their music. Outkast is the first that comes to mind. Even more of used samples of rock songs - especially guitar riffs.

Trick Daddy's Let's Go is sampled from Ozzy Osbourne.
Jay Z is always dabbling in rock. 99 problems was pretty much a rock track.

I think most rappers don't do it because 1)they're not that creative 2)they don't have a wide enough knowledge of music to know other genres 3)they're afraid to step away from the ready-made beats of The Runners &DJ Khaled

Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree with you on that one. I can't even stand listening to the radio because of all the garbage they're passing off as music these days.

No a lot of rappers use/have used guitars, live drums in their music. Outkast is the first that comes to mind. Even more of used samples of rock songs - especially guitar riffs.

Trick Daddy's Let's Go is sampled from Ozzy Osbourne.
Jay Z is always dabbling in rock. 99 problems was pretty much a rock track.

I think most rappers don't do it because 1)they're not that creative 2)they don't have a wide enough knowledge of music to know other genres 3)they're afraid to step away from the ready-made beats of The Runners &DJ Khaled

Yeah. Nas, AZ and Outkast have all used guitar in a number of their songs (Im pretty sure I heard Andre played all the music in his CDs, not sure though) . I'm not a big fan of Linkin Park but it did sound OK when they collab'd with JayZ. I just think he went to heavy...there's a fine line there and they took it more to the side of metal.

JayZ's and Beyonce's Me and My Girlfriend has a nice little guitar riff in it the whole time. R Kelly's fiesta as well. Nas' the Message as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,626 times
I couldn't agree more with you.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Correction: many rappers use turntables and mixers. Some don't.

Rock and rap are not mutually exclusive, as evidenced by the 311 sample below; or for an extreme example, the N.I.L.8 sample at the bottom of this post.

Addtionally, one can use live instruments in rap without having it sound like rock, as evidenced by the LL Cool J Unplugged album, several Beastie Boys tracks, and the Brand New Heavies "Heavy Rhyme Experience Vol 1" album, a sample from which is provided below.

The Roots rap and use live instumentation, and they do it well.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
Lightbulb rap is wwwwwaaaacccckkkk

rap to me is just harmful to society and contradicting to most kids at the ages under 13 and up b/c of its word usage.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:07 PM

133 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shante2010 View Post
rap to me is just harmful to society and contradicting to most kids at the ages under 13 and up b/c of its word usage.
Are you kidding me? What praytell do you think kids should be listening to? Country, rock, r&b? Every music genre has its bad seeds, but you can't judge an entire genre based on the artists that use derogatory words. Some country singers talk about beer and bigotry, while r&b to me is highly sexual as is some POP music, and some rock can also be slanderous towards women and considered vulgar, but I'm not gonna tell kids not to listen to it. There's alot of music in the rap genre that is not contradicting and leans towards the more positive things in life.

Thats just a ridiculous statement and you seem like a Moderator cut: report the post

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-31-2009 at 04:06 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
This is a space for all of the people who are hell-bent on posting uninformed comments in every single thread about rap music. These comments are almost always off-topic, so here is your opportunity to rant against rap and stay on-topic. Post away!
No guitars, no music!LOL........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music