Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:25 PM

52,292 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What answer would convince you that he's an important figure in music?

He's written tons of classic songs in a variety of styles? No?
He's been covered by countless other musicians? No?
He was immeasurably influential on countless other musicians? No?
His music broke down barriers in terms of song length, instrumentation, lyrical themes? No?

You don't have to like him, but to say he's a hack is complete nonsense.

Meh.... He still sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 03:04 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,065,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Coldplay, gawd they're awful.
How come they sell so many albums, when none of us on here like them?!

Old 07-19-2016, 04:29 PM

52,292 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
How come they sell so many albums, when none of us on here like them?!
LOL, it's the same in the food forums, you get lots and lots of people berating fast food, McDonalds in particular and yet they are on just about every other street corner.

Someone is eating/listening to that stuff.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:49 PM

529 posts, read 370,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What answer would convince you that he's an important figure in music?

He's written tons of classic songs in a variety of styles? No?
He's been covered by countless other musicians? No?
He was immeasurably influential on countless other musicians? No?
His music broke down barriers in terms of song length, instrumentation, lyrical themes? No?

You don't have to like him, but to say he's a hack is complete nonsense.

I agree here.

While I am not the biggest fan of his singing, he was a true pioneer.
He really opened the door for the "singer/songwriter" who didn't necessarily have a good voice, but through their music and lyrical content were able to reach people on a much deeper level than the typical "pop song" writer had ever done.

In my experience, the vast majority of the people who "hate Bob Dylan" like more of his songs than they realize. Spectacular songwriting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, this one, and the band Chicago.
It's not that one song by Chicago isn't good...it's that all of the other songs by them sound exactly the same as the first one.
Chicago was a super band before they got hooked on writing syrupy pop love songs.

Unfortunately that is the only Chicago most people know, because they were wildly more commercially successful when they used that formula.

Their first album is especially great.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,065,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, it's the same in the food forums, you get lots and lots of people berating fast food, McDonalds in particular and yet they are on just about every other street corner.

Someone is eating/listening to that stuff.
True - who are these people that go to McDonalds and listen to Coldplay?! I think I'd rather have a McDonalds than listen to Coldplay, any day of the week.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,040,672 times
The Beatles. I will never understand all the hype.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:56 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't know of any of the current pop stars songs are. I don't listen to contemporary music, the only newer stuff I do listen to would be Alt Rock, but I couldn't tell you anything about Bieber and Taylor Swift, even that other goofy broad, The one that has a weird face. I forget her name...... dresses all crazy and stuff, supposedly she actually has talent, but yeah... out of the loop I guess.
Lady Gaga. Shocked the hell out of people of a certain age when she belted out a magnificent Sound of Music medley at the Grammys.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
The Eagles.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The Eagles

There is no band whose music I hate worse than theirs. There are certainly some tunes that are worse. "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" and "The Night Chicago Died" come immediately to mind. But for long-term, overplayed, over-praised, annoyance, no music irritates me more than that made by The Eagles.

I've felt this way since the first time that I heard "Witchy Woman" in 1971. The feeling was intensified when I happened to be in Boulder, Colorado, for several months right after the "One of These Nights" album was released, and it has never reduced.
A www, sorry to hear that. Love the Eagles. Maybe just not your generation? Too late or too soon...

Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
A www, sorry to hear that. Love the Eagles. Maybe just not your generation? Too late or too soon...
I like the Eagles, too. A little surprised that there's so much dislike. Maybe too 70s for some?

I can't stand Ray LaMontagne. Not him personally, just his voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music